Emby Live TV needs work? Or is it me?

TheWERLD

mike3821
1 hour ago, BillOatman said:

I use an external tool to group and order things as I like and get rich guide data for all, OTA as well as IPTV.  I have a instance for Emby and one for Tivimate.  Editing in Emby is the stuff of nightmares IMO.  And I can deal with both devices in one tool.

Which tool?

BillOatman
2 hours ago, EODCrafter said:

I hope it's not m3u4u. I don't trust them with my personal data.

Me either.

BillOatman
2 hours ago, mike3821 said:

Which tool?

Its called IPTVBoss. No web site, just on Discord.  At the moment the author has shut off new people until he gets a new release out because the new release forces the configuration to start from scratch.

EODCrafter
9 hours ago, BillOatman said:

Its called IPTVBoss. No web site, just on Discord.  At the moment the author has shut off new people until he gets a new release out because the new release forces the configuration to start from scratch.

Does it require that they have your login and password, or is it a offline Program like xTeVe?

22 hours ago, BillOatman said:

Agree 100%. The whole tag thing for groups is a clever stop-gap at best.  But that isn't related to OTA vs IPTV, or at least shouldn't need to be.

You have access to 1000s of OTA channels?

BillOatman
3 minutes ago, ebr said:

You have access to 1000s of OTA channels?

OTA no (unfortunately :) ), IPTV yes.

BillOatman
9 hours ago, EODCrafter said:

Does it require that they have your login and password, or is it a offline Program like xTeVe?

Offline, you run locally.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, BillOatman said:

OTA no (unfortunately :) ), IPTV yes.

Okay, well you said that the functionality being discussed (managing and ordering 1000s of channels) wasn't related to OTA vs M3U but, I would say it is.  OTA users don't really have a requirement of managing 1000s of channels.

• Thanks 1

BillOatman
14 minutes ago, ebr said:

Okay, well you said that the functionality being discussed (managing and ordering 1000s of channels) wasn't related to OTA vs M3U but, I would say it is.  OTA users don't really have a requirement of managing 1000s of channels.

That was in response to:

Still the problem today....When we talk Live TV, there are two different worlds out there that dictate how Live TV is addressed....OTA & IPTV. They are not really interchangeable.

Number of channels doesn't matter when you are talking about process.  OTA and IPTV can be handled in exactly the same way regarding the use of M3U files, or how guides are organized.  But you are correct in that for OTA only, the number of channels is pretty much always low enough where tags would be a workable solution.

We and others have had this discussion before.  We just don't agree is all :)

Edited by BillOatman

EODCrafter
1 hour ago, BillOatman said:

That was in response to:

Number of channels doesn't matter when you are talking about process.  OTA and IPTV can be handled in exactly the same way regarding the use of M3U files, or how guides are organized.  But you are correct in that for OTA only, the number of channels is pretty much always low enough where tags would be a workable solution.

We and others have had this discussion before.  We just don't agree is all :)

It doesn't need to be handled the exact same way. You can dig a swimming pool with a shovel, but a dozer would be a better tool. ;)

Edited by EODCrafter
  • Haha 1

CharlieMurphy
10 hours ago, EODCrafter said:

It can actually work either way, it can use a local m3u or it can use your credentials to download directly from your provider.

IPTVBoss is good, but one thing that I think should be mentioned is that xTeVe is open-source and IPTVBoss is not. Even if you use a local m3u, it will have your provider credentials inside unless you feed it xTeVe's m3u instead. So there's a level of blind trust I think. IPTVBoss is the only thing outside of Plex and Emby I use that isn't FOSS, so if I do use it, I run it in a VM and understand that it's possible the dev could steal my credentials, I assume.

EODCrafter
19 hours ago, BillOatman said:

Can you link the Github address of IPTV Boss?

EODCrafter
7 minutes ago, CharlieMurphy said:

It can actually work either way, it can use a local m3u or it can use your credentials to download directly from your provider.

IPTVBoss is good, but one thing that I think should be mentioned is that xTeVe is open-source and IPTVBoss is not. Even if you use a local m3u, it will have your provider credentials inside unless you feed it xTeVe's m3u instead. So there's a level of blind trust I think. IPTVBoss is the only thing outside of Plex and Emby I use that isn't FOSS, so if I do use it, I run it in a VM and understand that it's possible the dev could steal my credentials, I assume.

I use a Proxy (locally) so that will not be a problem. All they will see if they have a back door is a local address....

http://192.168.1.8:9003/live/test/test/1000137.ts

What is their Discord Invite link?

Be advised, some providers will Ban You if they catch you using these things to bypass their restrictions.

Edited by EODCrafter

CharlieMurphy
13 minutes ago, EODCrafter said:

I use a Proxy (locally) so that will not be a problem. All they will see if they have a back door is a local address....

http://192.168.1.8:9003/live/test/test/1000137.ts

What is their Discord Invite link?

Be advised, some providers will Ban You if they catch you using these things to bypass their restrictions.

There's no Git because it's not open source. I'm pretty sure of this but not certain. Discord is closed for invites last I checked.

Question for you though, what do you use to proxy? and does it allow for sharing of a stream? Like if two clients request the same channel, would it use two provider slots, or just one like xTeVe allows you to do?

Edited by CharlieMurphy

BillOatman
15 minutes ago, EODCrafter said:

Can you link the Github address of IPTV Boss?

No github, discord only.  And like I said earlier I believe, it is temporarily closed to new users pending a significant release.

EODCrafter
3 minutes ago, CharlieMurphy said:

There's no Git because it's not open source. I'm pretty sure of this but not certain. Discord is closed for invites last I checked.

Question for you though, what do you use to proxy? and does it allow for sharing of a stream? Like if two clients request the same channel, would it use two provider slots, or just one like xTeVe allows you to do?

Docker hub `eodcrafter/iptv`, it allows sharing whatever your provider allows.

No, it does not do any remuxing, ect, it's just a Banned Word Proxy......

Edited by EODCrafter
  • Like 1

BillOatman
19 minutes ago, EODCrafter said:

It doesn't need to be handled the exact same way. You can dig a swimming pool with a shovel, but a dozer would be a better tool. ;)

Need nope, but certainly can :)

On 1/13/2022 at 1:54 PM, EODCrafter said:

I hope it's not m3u4u. I don't trust them with my personal data.

Personally I'd be more worried about the IPTV Provider having my information than these guys. M3u4u isn't going to be the target of a police or FBI take down but your provider might be.

If you use a username and password for the m3u that isn't using the same info you use anywhere else what's the big deal? The worst thing to happen would be that they could use your m3u file. I can check with my provider IPs used to access the service and have never seen access from any place but my IP. I've heard of any issues with them either.

For my way of thinking they offer a great service for the cost. :)

EODCrafter
11 hours ago, cayars said:

The worst thing to happen would be that they could use your m3u file.

Well, then we wouldn't have TV because we would be BANNED! :)

EODCrafter
13 minutes ago, cayars said:

I don't follow what you mean?

If a Provider sees you sharing your Service either by Theft or voluntarily, they will Ban you from access, no questions asked.

Part of the security breach that has targeted providers has been the open access to m3u's, that is why most have banned the use of m3u's.

The Law, as written...It's illegal to Provide Streams, not to accept them.

Edited by EODCrafter

I guess that depends on the provider. Non of the ones I use care about the IPs used as long as you are within your stream limit.
But that assumes the service in question is using you account in some way which has no truth or substance behind it.

But thanks for the explanation as I now understand what you meant!

For the record I'd be much happier to have a local program that does what m3u4u does but there is nothing like it. xTeVe doesn't do what it does so it isn't a substitute.
In a case like this you have to calculate the risk vs reward of using a 3rd party that knows your credentials. The risk to me is well worth it as the credentials are good only for that one service and not tied to me personally. If something went badly I'm out a month of service at worst or under $20. So for me personally the "reward" is well worth the "risk".

No doubt, it's something each person thinking of using their service should evaluate themselves.

EODCrafter
3 minutes ago, cayars said:

local program that does what m3u4u does but there is nothing like it.

IPTVBoss is Perfect!

• Agree 1

Spaceboy
1 hour ago, cayars said:

I guess that depends on the provider. Non of the ones I use care about the IPs used as long as you are within your stream limit.
But that assumes the service in question is using you account in some way which has no truth or substance behind it.

But thanks for the explanation as I now understand what you meant!

For the record I'd be much happier to have a local program that does what m3u4u does but there is nothing like it. xTeVe doesn't do what it does so it isn't a substitute.
In a case like this you have to calculate the risk vs reward of using a 3rd party that knows your credentials. The risk to me is well worth it as the credentials are good only for that one service and not tied to me personally. If something went badly I'm out a month of service at worst or under $20. So for me personally the "reward" is well worth the "risk".

No doubt, it's something each person thinking of using their service should evaluate themselves.

what does m3u4u do for you that xteve does not?

the best services are incredibly tight on how their streams are used. i got kicked off one just through using an vpn and not really understanding the questions they were asking me about it. i got back in but its invite only and i would never risk providing the urls to anyone for any purpose. the reliability is worlds different from the other service that i pay for.