Emby Live TV needs work? Or is it me?

TheWERLD

Nothing wrong with that at all.  Different tools and software and each has a place.
They just have very different functionality is all.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, cayars said:

Of course as it's just a dumb player.

It doesn't have to do all the things Emby needs to do like share one stream with DVR and multiple people watching the same channel.
Transcoding the channel/stream when needed, etc. Not to mentioned the lack of good Guide Data.

There is no guide data you need to use the xml from your iptv provider but yeah, almost always incomplete is an understatement.

• Like 1

jachin99
On 10/26/2021 at 9:46 AM, ebr said:

If you go to your guide, hit the "..." (or little tag icon in Android TV), select a tag (or two or three or...) and return to the guide you get the guide with only channels with those tags.

It might accomplish the same purpose but it's a little more difficult to apply your filter options IMO.  I think something like a side panel maybe on the left side of the screen where users  can scroll through groups instead of checking boxes would be more accessible.  My family ofen complains about how big my guide is and the filter options don't really seem like a good answer.  I just usually just use the channels screen myself because I don't know any channel numbers and I can sort them alphabetically that way.  It would be nice to just quickly bring a wife channels channel group.

17 hours ago, jachin99 said:

It might accomplish the same purpose but it's a little more difficult to apply your filter options IMO.  I think something like a side panel maybe on the left side of the screen where users  can scroll through groups instead of checking boxes would be more accessible.  My family ofen complains about how big my guide is and the filter options don't really seem like a good answer.  I just usually just use the channels screen myself because I don't know any channel numbers and I can sort them alphabetically that way.  It would be nice to just quickly bring a wife channels channel group.

So you are saying you agree with my assessment above?

• 2 months later...
On 11/2/2021 at 3:13 PM, cayars said:

Once some of this is addressed it will go back out for another round of testing that likely will be expanded to get good coverage for the different broadcast standards and to test the new hardware options. Then it will likely go out to anyone who wants to participate with testing.

Where are we with this?  Is it any closer to being available?  Thanks.

13 minutes ago, cncb said:

Where are we with this?  Is it any closer to being available?  Thanks.

Hi there, what particular live tv feature or change are you waiting on?

CharlieMurphy

Can't speak for cncb, but several of us would love to have Emby handle dropped streams without restarting the server software. The issue of the Emby backend and the Emby dashboard not agreeing which leads to hitting tuner limits and transcodes that continue with no client.

35 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi there, what particular live tv feature or change are you waiting on?

Better playback of in-progress recordings, recording conflict and failure indicators, and perhaps something else I have not thought of yet (based on cayars glowing description) :).

3 minutes ago, cncb said:

Better playback of in-progress recordings, recording conflict and failure indicators, and perhaps something else I have not thought of yet (based on cayars glowing description) :).

We are working on improving those. Thanks.

EODCrafter

The Best way to improving Emby Live TV is to look at Kodi. ;) (IPTV Simple Client or TVHeadend) 

emveepee

Kodi PVR is a UI and API and uses features from other PVR but can miss features available in other backends too.  Kodi could easily interface to Emby today.  

Martin

mike3821

Emby by far is the best live tv and full media solution. 

Channels DVR is the runner up but lacks all the additional media features that Emby has.

Plex sucks b****. 

HDHR is damn ugly.

Edited by mike3821

jachin99
1 hour ago, mike3821 said:

Emby by far is the best live tv and full media solution. 

Channels DVR is the runner up but lacks all the additional media features that Emby has.

Plex sucks b****. 

HDHR is damn ugly.

I like emby but I think for live tv Windows Media Center still had it beat.  Channel changes were always quick and I never had issues with any channels playing.  I think thats the benchmark emby is striving for which is why I stick with them.  Just my opinion though and I agree that it is an improvement over most competitors.

• Agree 1

BillOatman
On 10/24/2021 at 9:57 PM, TheWERLD said:

Movies, Music, and TV-Shows works like a dream with Emby BUT I'm having a HORRIFIC time dealing with Live TV, I must be doing something wrong. I was able to get a playlist loaded but the channels take 3x as long to load and buffers like crazy. I'm using the exact same playlist on my Firestick (Tivimate) and the channels load almost instantly and play butter smooth... What am I doing wrong (I have 860Mbps Download / 560Mbps Upload speed)

Also like to mention the Live TV interface looks SUPER Dated and wonky, please tell me I'm doing something wrong. PLEASE HELP!

I'm using M3U playlist and the stock Emby Live TV Service. I did not download any additional IPTV add-ons.

Also I have a Premium Account. 

If you read around, it is going through a major rework now.  When that will be done and what it will look like after is anyone's guess.  

EODCrafter
9 hours ago, emveepee said:

Kodi PVR is a UI and API and uses features from other PVR but can miss features available in other backends too.  Kodi could easily interface to Emby today.  

Martin

Yea, not really interested in a Kodi interface...Just want Emby to be Good!

EODCrafter
3 hours ago, jachin99 said:

I like emby but I think for live tv Windows Media Center still had it beat.  Channel changes were always quick and I never had issues with any channels playing.  I think thats the benchmark emby is striving for which is why I stick with them.  Just my opinion though and I agree that it is an improvement over most competitors.

Still the problem today....When we talk Live TV, there are two different worlds out there that dictate how Live TV is addressed....OTA & IPTV. They are not really interchangeable.

CharlieMurphy
11 hours ago, BillOatman said:

If you read around, it is going through a major rework now.  When that will be done and what it will look like after is anyone's guess.  

The timeline on this is completely evasive. I've asked and didn't get a crumb, someone asked yesterday and the response was a question about which features they hoped to be in it. I understand where they are coming from, not wanting to give a timeline and then have forum people hold them to what they say. But as a solution to issues we are discussing I think we should acknowledge that it may not be in the remotely near future. So many threads end this way.

"Maybe that will be addressed in the big update."

"Big update? When's that?"

BillOatman
9 hours ago, EODCrafter said:

Still the problem today....When we talk Live TV, there are two different worlds out there that dictate how Live TV is addressed....OTA & IPTV. They are not really interchangeable.

No reason it needs to be.  At the end of the day the HDHomerun exposes a URL to get a stream of a channel.  How you gather that info for the guide is different, but not a big deal and once the data is collected for the guide, they are for the most part fully interchangeable.

BillOatman
On 11/3/2021 at 1:13 AM, JaconJR said:

Using implayer https://implayer.tv/ you can load your emby and plex into it and load your m3u lists and switch through groups with ease. IPTV loads instantly in under half a second and the UI looks nice. I use emby for my main tv watching, tivimate is cool also but you can only use your emby and plex with implayer you just add the emby server and done.

So implayer can treat Emby and Plex as sources?  Interesting feature I suppose. But I prefer having better control over the configuration and guide data and use tivimate as my main viewer and Emby for my remote kids to watch a minimal number of channels, and for movies and tv series.  It's a nice blend for me. IMPlayer is nice as well, but I started with tivimate and haven't seen a reason to change so far.  Had I started with IMPlayer I'd probably stick with it as well :)

Edited by BillOatman

EODCrafter
19 minutes ago, BillOatman said:

No reason it needs to be.  At the end of the day the HDHomerun exposes a URL to get a stream of a channel.  How you gather that info for the guide is different, but not a big deal and once the data is collected for the guide, they are for the most part fully interchangeable.

Mapping and arranging 1000's of channels is a big deal. It's very clunky to renumber channel after channel to show up in the guide properly. Tags are good, but not the answer needed.

Edited by EODCrafter

BillOatman
Just now, EODCrafter said:

Mapping and arranging 1000's of channels is a big deal. It's very clunky to renumber channel after channel to show up in the guide properly. Tags are good, but not the answer needed. Displaying the "Grid" Guide by channel Groups would be a tremendous help.

Agree 100%. The whole tag thing for groups is a clever stop-gap at best.  But that isn't related to OTA vs IPTV, or at least shouldn't need to be.

EODCrafter
3 minutes ago, BillOatman said:

Agree 100%. The whole tag thing for groups is a clever stop-gap at best.  But that isn't related to OTA vs IPTV, or at least shouldn't need to be.

I just wish it wouldn't take 3-4 seconds between each renumbering of a channel. Maybe a option to pause guide refresh or Db updates till operation is finished is feasible?

Also I edited my post, you can display Grid by Tags.....But I prefer Channel Numbering.

Edited by EODCrafter

BillOatman
49 minutes ago, EODCrafter said:

I just wish it wouldn't take 3-4 seconds between each renumbering of a channel. Maybe a option to pause guide refresh or Db updates till operation is finished is feasible?

Also I edited my post, you can display Grid by Tags.....But I prefer Channel Numbering.

I use an external tool to group and order things as I like and get rich guide data for all, OTA as well as IPTV.  I have a instance for Emby and one for Tivimate.  Editing in Emby is the stuff of nightmares IMO.  And I can deal with both devices in one tool.

Edited by BillOatman
  • Agree 1