Emby Live TV needs work? Or is it me?

TheWERLD

TheWERLD

Movies, Music, and TV-Shows works like a dream with Emby BUT I'm having a HORRIFIC time dealing with Live TV, I must be doing something wrong. I was able to get a playlist loaded but the channels take 3x as long to load and buffers like crazy. I'm using the exact same playlist on my Firestick (Tivimate) and the channels load almost instantly and play butter smooth... What am I doing wrong (I have 860Mbps Download / 560Mbps Upload speed)

Also like to mention the Live TV interface looks SUPER Dated and wonky, please tell me I'm doing something wrong. PLEASE HELP!

I'm using M3U playlist and the stock Emby Live TV Service. I did not download any additional IPTV add-ons.

Also I have a Premium Account. 

Edited by TheWERLD

channels take 3x as long to load and buffers like crazy

Hi there, can we please look at an example?

Thanks !

pwhodges

@TheWERLD I understand that the Live TV system is being rewritten from the ground up to address these issues.  I've no idea what the timescale is, though - it's clearly a big job, not least because of the differences between OTA and IPTV, and because of the variety of codecs used in different countries, and sometimes even in the same channel at different times!

I'm sure there will be a huge improvement - but I just have no idea when...

Paul

Not only that but different broadcast standards and different hardware as well for different regions.  TV broadcasts can be downright tricky. Unlike typical movies or TV shows things can change mid stream such as 5.1 sound changing to stereo during commercials, Subs/CCs stopping during commercials, progressive to Interlaced, etc...

It's one thing to have a simple client who's only job is to output this info to the screen (most players) but quite another task to be able to record this info or share streams.

justinrh

I thought the interface looks fine.  Maybe I don't know what 'better' is  🙃  Like, what else would it look like?  I'm sure I'll be pleasantly surprised when the UI is reworked.  I just hope the guide is revamped also.

I like the UI myself and think it works well and blends correctly with the rest of the system.

I use other programs like TiviMate (and others) as can appreciate the way they handle groups and channels as well.  But I use them differently.  I will often load a full m3u file in these programs and often don't have very good guide data.  But in Emby I use a curated list of channels that I'll actually use and have great guide data as I've mapped it all.

With proper guide data I like Emby's guides much better. It would be nice if you could switch groups quickly however.

• Like 1

Spaceboy

yeah i think the group tags i live tv have been implemented pretty poorly to be honest. it can be said its there but it does nothing to actually aid the use of the guide

it should work how WMC used to do it, a filtered version of the guide with only relevant channels shown. filter to be selected via an easily accessible button display

3 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

a filtered version of the guide with only relevant channels shown

Isn't that exactly what it does?

Spaceboy
6 minutes ago, ebr said:

Isn't that exactly what it does?

no! it shows a filtered version of the channels. not the guide. come on eric, you used WMC. please don't play dumb

13 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

no! it shows a filtered version of the channels. not the guide. come on eric, you used WMC. please don't play dumb

If you go to your guide, hit the "..." (or little tag icon in Android TV), select a tag (or two or three or...) and return to the guide you get the guide with only channels with those tags.

Sure can filter by groups/tags: (from 3 dot menu at top of guide)
image.png.85917a36746eca7af25c25cc1c9c8071.png

Edited by cayars

I think anyone who has used TiviMate or similar has gotten used to the way you can quickly switch groups to get just the channels of that group.
I would love to see something like that implemented in Emby.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

vdrover

I just started experimenting with live TV on Emby. Support for multiple sources and multiple EPGs is simply fantastic. After many year of experience, one thing I have learned is that maintaining my own M3U solves many useability issues regardless of the DVR/Media system you are using. I use epg.best for this. Super cheap. 

When I talk the epg.best M3U and add it to Emby, there's no filtering as only my custom lineup is included. 

Note that maintaining a quality M3U takes some time. And you won't have access to new channels and such without updating that M3U. But it suits my preferences well.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 10/25/2021 at 4:39 AM, pwhodges said:

I understand that the Live TV system is being rewritten from the ground up to address these issues.

Was this discussed somewhere?

CharlieMurphy

I didn't know a rework is happening!

I know devs don't like being asked this so I won't ask for much specificity, but could we get a hint as to how far along it is? Maybe even as general as telling if making it into beta is closer to two years or two months away?

Live TV playback went through the first round of testing. This is with the new hardware support, new tuning methods and optimizations.  It's a lot faster starting up now.
Some changes need to be made to fit better into the current server and to simplify a few things.  The UI is different than the current server so there are some things like that to take care of.  The team is working out those details meanwhile the devs are catching up on some other work.

Once some of this is addressed it will go back out for another round of testing that likely will be expanded to get good coverage for the different broadcast standards and to test the new hardware options. Then it will likely go out to anyone who wants to participate with testing.

That is speculative and could change of course.  It's going to be a monster release and have some new things you hardly see in any other program. Certainly not all the features this has in one program.

• Like 2

CharlieMurphy

Very exciting to hear! Thanks for the details. If there's an early closed beta, I'd like to participate. Otherwise I'll be looking forward to the public release!

26 minutes ago, CharlieMurphy said:

Very exciting to hear! Thanks for the details. If there's an early closed beta, I'd like to participate. Otherwise I'll be looking forward to the public release!

Me too!! Please! 🙃

Most people with Live TV would probably want to as well. :)
We'll likely be looking for specific things for testing in the next round. 

Specific locations (because of the broadcast standards) as well as specific hardware that was added.
But it's too early to tell right now.

• Like 1

Using implayer https://implayer.tv/ you can load your emby and plex into it and load your m3u lists and switch through groups with ease. IPTV loads instantly in under half a second and the UI looks nice. I use emby for my main tv watching, tivimate is cool also but you can only use your emby and plex with implayer you just add the emby server and done.

Of course as it's just a dumb player.

It doesn't have to do all the things Emby needs to do like share one stream with DVR and multiple people watching the same channel.
Transcoding the channel/stream when needed, etc. Not to mentioned the lack of good Guide Data.

9 hours ago, cayars said:

Of course as it's just a dumb player.

It doesn't have to do all the things Emby needs to do like share one stream with DVR and multiple people watching the same channel.
Transcoding the channel/stream when needed, etc. Not to mentioned the lack of good Guide Data.

Yes that's exactly correct, just a player for front end use that looks and works good for what I need.