Can't connect to new Emby server (McAfee)

Madturk1029
Go to solution Solved by Carlo,

Madturk1029

Installed new server and it shows up in the app but I can't connect with any of my Samsung TVs or Firesticks.  The connect server button is there on each device but will not allow any action.  I'm a new user and have not been able to get past this initial issue.  Any help or direction would be most appreciated.

Hello Madturk1029,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

Ronstang

I helped him install the server last Thursday and we could not get two different Samsung TVs or his firestick to connect to the server.  All see the server but there is an error connecting.  I think it has something to do with Windows security but I ran out of time before I had to leave.  He runs McAfee so that could be the issue.  It is possibly blocking access to port 8096 but I don't use that program and I was unable to help him on the phone.  I suggested he might need to forward the port but he could not find how to do this in McAfee and I have no clue.

Happy2Play

If I am getting this correct, no devices can connect to Emby beside the web client on the host machine?  If so then yes it sounds like McAfee is blocking all connections trying to get to Emby.

Have you tried disabling McAfee firewall?

McAfee KB - How to manage the McAfee Firewall on Windows or macOS (TS101322)

Troubleshooting Internal Connections

• Solution

I was working with these guys via PM up until @Ronstanghad to leave.

@Madturk1029 I would try turning off McAfee for a brief time to see if you can connect.
If that doesn't work send me a PM and I can do a remote session with you to get this figured out for you.

Madturk1029

Yes you were spot on.  I had to force port 8096 open and tell McAfee to make it a home network  port.  If you forward the port as Ronstang suggested earlier my TP-Link Mesh network crashed so that was either a coincidence or a no go situation. I got one of my Samsungs  and one fire stick to select the server and both were able to play movies.  Not sure what's going on with my other TVs but I have the server functioning and watchable, ill work the rest out later. 

Thanks for the help.

• Like 1