external account Username/Password issues

VicSupaNov

VicSupaNov

I've had ongoing issues creating usernames and passwords for friends and families outside my local network. It always seems hit or miss, and half the time users simply cant get onto emby.

Are there directions for this?

edit: Ive been a premium user for 2 years now

Edited by VicSupaNov

And how are you trying to login?
What client?
Logging in directly to your server or using Emby Connect?

VicSupaNov

sign in is attempted with the emby app on an iphone or android. I test on my my mobile android via internal and external networks for confirmation. (see attached pic) 

I sign in to emby successfully using my email and password. 

1st user I've created sign is successful with embyconnect username and password. 

2nd username I created is not successful using email nor emby connect username. Ive tried forget password, via passwordreset.txt. It seems to work, but attempting to sign in with a blank password yields an "invalid username/password. Please try again message". 

I also logged in as the admin user, changed the 2nd user's password and then attempted to login Internally as well as externally. I tried this with my PC and phone.  same message. "invalid username/password. Please try again message". 

is it possible theres a conflict from his previously created account before removing and reinstalling the newer emby for DSM 7.0?? 

Screenshot_20211026-104920_Emby.jpg

Hi, does the 2nd user have an Emby Connect username?

Are you able to login as this user directly to the server not using EC?

VicSupaNov
9 hours ago, cayars said:

Hi, does the 2nd user have an Emby Connect username?

Are you able to login as this user directly to the server not using EC?

Yes every user so far has an emby connect so  that they can access it externally.  Attached. I'll check if it works using the local name when I get home tonight

Screenshot_20211026-215938_Emby.jpg

• Thanks 1

VicSupaNov
49 minutes ago, cayars said:

@VicSupaNov, any updates?

I successfully logged into emby with the 2nd user, Shaun,  with the local name

Edited by VicSupaNov

VicSupaNov
51 minutes ago, Luke said:

Are you all set now?

no it only works internally. login via email and via emby connect DOES NOT work. these are accounts made for users outside my local network

1 minute ago, VicSupaNov said:

no it only works internally. login via email and via emby connect DOES NOT work. these are accounts made for users outside my local network

The screen that says please sign in is your local server login screen. That's where you use your own local server credentials.

To login with emby connect you need to be on the sign in screen for that, it will say sign in with emby connect.

Confusing the two login methods is likely the reason for the invalid username/password errors. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

21 minutes ago, Luke said:

The screen that says please sign in is your local server login screen. That's where you use your own local server credentials.

To login with emby connect you need to be on the sign in screen for that, it will say sign in with emby connect.

Confusing the two login methods is likely the reason for the invalid username/password errors. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

I login to emby locally or externally using the emby app. 

If on local network, Theres an additional step of simply clicking on my name, or any other name and it Will take me to the please sign in screen. I can enter my login name or my email address and password here.

If external, I will not see a list of names. I will see the same Please sign in screen, I can input EITHER my email address and password, OR my Emby Connect username and password and i will be successfully logged in.

However this method doesnt work with every user.

please let me know where I find an additional login option that I am not aware of that you seem to have mentioned above where it states " it will say sign in with emby connect."

I just created a totally new 3rd user account including registering a new embyconnect email/username. I have no problems logging in locally or externally using the emby app's PLEASE SIGN IN screen. 

verifying Im using the MOBILE network Only, I tried both email address AND emby connect usernames. Both work. So Im pretty sure Im doing this right. 

but I still have the issue with this older 2nd user account account. 

VicSupaNov

Sorry about the confusion, those 2 posts are in fact mines. I didnt realize I was still signed in via that account. 

I googled emby connect and was able to find the link to SIGN IN WITH EMBY CONNECT you mentioned above. I guess its via the browser only. I tried again signing in as the 2nd user and it still doesnt work. I think i need to go into his emby account info and fix something.

VicSupaNov

Problem solved. The user changed his emby registration password. I thought that was only needed for use logging into these forums.

I thought the only password emby used was the one configured within emby app. But it wasn't. Even though I reset this password many times I still couldn't log him back into emby.   Settings>user>"3rduser">password 

Screenshot_20211027-123124_Emby.jpg

7 minutes ago, VicSupaNov said:

Problem solved. The user changed his emby registration password. I thought that was only needed for use logging into these forums.

I thought the only password emby used was the one configured within emby app. But it wasn't. Even though I reset this password many times I still couldn't log him back into emby.   Settings>user>"3rduser">password 

Screenshot_20211027-123124_Emby.jpg

These credentials are your local server credentials, managed entirely by you and not related to logging into our forum or Emby Connect.

Emby Connect is a separate service designed to save your users from having to remember your server ip address. If you're going to use Emby Connect then it's important to know that distinction so that when you're on one login screen or another, you know which ones they're intended for. 

@cayars can link to our help topics that will help explain Emby Connect more.

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001160340-emby-connect
This however does not show Emby Connect from the user perspective as it's geared to admin setup.

I can create a new page (linked) that will be on how to use Emby Connect in apps and browser from a user standpoint.  That is something I can add.
This way it can clear up any confusion on the direct vs Emby Connect login.  Can also add a couple tips for checking valid passwords as well.