Google Drive data source

bmd00

Hi all, 

I am new to Emby - I've been using Plex for a large number of years at this point but in the spirit of curiosity I thought I would take a look at Emby. 

About a year ago, I swapped by backend data source over to Google Drive. I did this with the plexdrive project, created a few other supporting services and created what I call CloudDrive. This is now just a mount on my Linux machines and I can point Plex to it. I also use a bit of a flakey sync system for syncing watch status. It's not great, but mostly functional. 

I saw that Emby supports GDrive as a plugin but after setting it up I discovered that it doesn't appear that you can have it as the source for files and only have Emby upload copies of your files in to Drive. Does anyone know of a way around this, other than keeping my existing setup in place? 

• Agree 1

Just a question are you using Docker? which i presume you are if you are running plex and emby on the same server but i could be wrong (usually am lol).

If you already have your Gdrives Mounted to the server, can you not just select the same folder within Emby? Not using PlexDrive myself i presume it does something a little Different.

To be honest i use RCLONE for mounting cloud/network drives as its pretty much the best solution IMHO. I just create Rclone Mounts for each drive and then create a systemd file for them to be mounted at boot. Very clean and light solution but very powerful in featureset.

Hi, you'd have to import into Emby the same way you did with the other software, by mounting it to a local path first. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

16 hours ago, CassTG said:

Just a question are you using Docker? which i presume you are if you are running plex and emby on the same server but i could be wrong (usually am lol).

If you already have your Gdrives Mounted to the server, can you not just select the same folder within Emby? Not using PlexDrive myself i presume it does something a little Different.

To be honest i use RCLONE for mounting cloud/network drives as its pretty much the best solution IMHO. I just create Rclone Mounts for each drive and then create a systemd file for them to be mounted at boot. Very clean and light solution but very powerful in featureset.

I can use the existing mounts, that is what I was meaning in my original post (and is what I have done) but I was hoping that maybe I had overlooked some functionality and that I could access gdrive from within emby itself. IMO they missed a trick with this, considering Emby has oauth access and has a connection directly to gdrive, but I guess the devs have their reasons.

PlexDrive is essentially rclone, but optimised for streaming (I've not used rclone directly, so can't comment on whether the performance is significant, if at all). I then use OnionFS to create a fake read/write directory structure, and I periodically sync anything written there to gdrive. I have /.cloudrive-local and /.cloudrive-remote, remote is the gdrive mount and local is mostly empty. /cloudrive is OnionFS directory combining the other two. Anything written to it gets written to the local directory, synced to gdrive and then removed from local.

It's a pretty seamless setup 🙂

7 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, you'd have to import into Emby the same way you did with the other software, by mounting it to a local path first. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

Thanks, that is what I have ended up doing.

2 hours ago, bmd00 said:

I can use the existing mounts, that is what I was meaning in my original post (and is what I have done) but I was hoping that maybe I had overlooked some functionality and that I could access gdrive from within emby itself. IMO they missed a trick with this, considering Emby has oauth access and has a connection directly to gdrive, but I guess the devs have their reasons.

PlexDrive is essentially rclone, but optimised for streaming (I've not used rclone directly, so can't comment on whether the performance is significant, if at all). I then use OnionFS to create a fake read/write directory structure, and I periodically sync anything written there to gdrive. I have /.cloudrive-local and /.cloudrive-remote, remote is the gdrive mount and local is mostly empty. /cloudrive is OnionFS directory combining the other two. Anything written to it gets written to the local directory, synced to gdrive and then removed from local.

It's a pretty seamless setup 🙂

Thanks, that is what I have ended up doing.

OK yeah i did look into PD when i was using Plex but knowing how often i change my mind and switch often i went straight with RCLONE. Performance is probably the same to be fair, i'm just used to how it works, have 4 different mounts, albeit i don't user mergerfs etc files get placed in the mount folder and rclone automatically shifts them over to GDrive, only annoying thing is the weekly reset of the token, which i could just submit the rclone app oauth as internal but can't be bothered because it gives me something to do lol.