QNAP Emby server crashing every night

ulanov
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Hi.  Mightily impressed and pleased with Emby (coming from Plex, so maybe a low bar!), but every night in the small hours the Emby package on my QNAP is shutting down.  I have removed all plugins and it still happens.  I don't think I am doing anything unusual with my config or installation, and nothing like this happens with any other qpkg (including Plex using the same libraries - although I haven't accessed Plex in a week-plus, so there isn't likely any "cross-interference"). Of course, having to go into my QNAP App Center every morning to restart Emby is not ideal, and means no family members can access content until I start it up.

I attach the latest log.  Can someone more adept than I am at reading logs offer any thoughts and help?   Or how to troubleshoot further (maybe start eliminating libraries? disable the Plex qpkg?).  Thank you!

embyserver-63770588845.txt

Hi, do you have other log examples? there's nothing obvious here. It actually looks like it might be getting a shutdown signal from the system.

Here's the night before (prior to my removing plugins).  Sorry it's a much bigger log.  My NAS does tests on drives and so on overnight - I haven't checked for any time correlations - but that does not shut down the NAS and no other apps shut down.  So I don't know what (or how) would be ordering a shut down of the Emby app.  EDIT: Just checked and no scheduled tasks coinciding with the shutdowns as far as I can find.

Thanks for looking and trying to help.

embyserver-63770515504.txt

Edited by ulanov
Addition

OK, with your prompt I think I've found the problem in my QNAP log:

Error    2021-10-23    07:50:04    System    127.0.0.1    App Center    App Installation    [App Center] Emby Server has an invalid digital signature. The app has stopped and cannot be installed on QTS. You can remove it in the App Center.

I know there has been some discussion about the Emby digital signature notification in the QNAP app center.  Do you know if there is some way to instruct the NAS to ignore this warning/error?  If not, I wonder why I am getting this resulting shutdown and others haven't (as best I can find) mentioned it.  Sorry if I've missed an obvious fix.

If there is an obvious fix and this is more universal than just my setup, might be worth posting the fix as a sticky in the Emby QNAP forum.  Again, sorry if I've leaped too far ahead.

QTS 4.5.4.1723 (one version behind present release I believe).

Looking at the Security Console, it definitely looks like it is shutting Emby down due to the digital signature.  So far not seen how to disable this (even for all apps - not a good idea I'd guess).  The warning is there, just not any obvious terminate/don't terminate command option.  And it just disabled Emby again while I was looking!

Thank you so much - that will be it.  I had not found those instructions (nor had that option permitted on the NAS; not crazy about having to do it for all apps on the NAS, but I understand).

I'm immensely grateful (and somewhat awed) by the responsiveness, and sorry to have taken your time ... though I'll do that again briefly elsewhere on the forum on a couple of suggestions as a new-to-Emby user.

Might just be useful to link to that digital signature page on the main QNAP installation page: Emby Server for QNAP NAS.  I downloaded the qpkg from there and installed and never saw anything about the digitial signature issue.  (Picked up some comments about it after I searched the forum, noticing the exclamation mark warning in my NAS app center, but that didn't turn up the info page either.)  To be absolutely clear, I have used that option to install unsigned apps, but then re-enabled the block thinking that would keep any further accident/tampering from happening; never realized I had to keep the toggle off or the system would disable an already-installed unsigned app.

Again, thank you!

Edited by ulanov