Remote Connection Failure

RyuToken

RyuToken

Greetings,

I have been failing to connect to my Emby server remotely for a while now and I would like to get to the bottom of this once and for all. I have read all the guides on remote connections I could find, followed all the instructions and still, nothing seemed to work. Here is what I've done: 

• opened ports 8096 and 8920 

89798.png.982abcfb270ec81807c9d05f248f3b17.png

• disabled UPnP 
  • checked to see if I'm allowing remote connections in settings 

09889.png.7d18aafdc73bc1bb54c666cd56fa7272.png

• used Emby Connect to link the account I wish to grant remote access to

89789.png.a1382c1e48899d2cde477f73372505ac.png

What else should I do? canyouseeme.org can't seem to see me either. If I had to guess, something must be blocking the port, but I have no idea what it could be. I allowed all instances of Emby through the firewall, made a new rule for port 8096 and I'm not using any VPN or antivirus that would interfere with the port. Any help would be very much appreciated!  

[removed image]

Edited by ebr
Removed sensitive info

Hello RyuToken,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

rodainas
48 minutes ago, RyuToken said:

Greetings,

I have been failing to connect to my Emby server remotely for a while now and I would like to get to the bottom of this once and for all. I have read all the guides on remote connections I could find, followed all the instructions and still, nothing seemed to work. Here is what I've done: 

• opened ports 8096 and 8920 

89798.png.982abcfb270ec81807c9d05f248f3b17.png

• disabled UPnP 
  • checked to see if I'm allowing remote connections in settings 

09889.png.7d18aafdc73bc1bb54c666cd56fa7272.png

• used Emby Connect to link the account I wish to grant remote access to

89789.png.a1382c1e48899d2cde477f73372505ac.png

What else should I do? canyouseeme.org can't seem to see me either. If I had to guess, something must be blocking the port, but I have no idea what it could be. I allowed all instances of Emby through the firewall, made a new rule for port 8096 and I'm not using any VPN or antivirus that would interfere with the port. Any help would be very much appreciated!  

7789789.png.f89a5528db36262eafe28cf02f2a93e2.png

Hi a recommendation first, never show your real ip on public forums.

3 hours ago, RyuToken said:

canyouseeme.org can't seem to see me either

So that indicates this is a basic network issue.  Possible your ISP is blocking or using GNAT?

Hi, Open a command prompt and do a trace route to 8.8.8.8 (Google DNS server).
On windows it would be:
tracert 8.8.8.8

You will see a list of address for each hop/route your packet take to get to the 8.8.8.8 address.
What we want to know is if any of the first few happen to start with:
172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255
10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255

If you see any of those addresses it's a good indication that your ISP has not given you a real IP address on the Internet but instead is using some form of cgNAT and doesn't allow running servers since that packets can't be inbound to addresses behind the cgNAT. There are a couple of work arounds for this we can help you with.

Check that out and let us know what you find.

If you like send me a PM and we can setup/do a remote support session and I can hopefully help you figure this out.

HellRazor379

I have a similar issue... everything is the same with me except canyouseeme properly identifies my IP... but it throws an error when I have it check 8096 port. I'd greatly appreciate an update if you can figure out what the problem is!

Also, for my situation, I have two family members who use Emby Connect. Everything has been fine for months but ~2 weeks ago they started getting remote connection failures. Nothing with my network set up has changed since then... so quite confused... Just throwing this in incase it helps.

36 minutes ago, HellRazor379 said:

I have a similar issue... everything is the same with me except canyouseeme properly identifies my IP... but it throws an error when I have it check 8096 port. I'd greatly appreciate an update if you can figure out what the problem is!

Also, for my situation, I have two family members who use Emby Connect. Everything has been fine for months but ~2 weeks ago they started getting remote connection failures. Nothing with my network set up has changed since then... so quite confused... Just throwing this in incase it helps.

@HellRazor379 first I would start by taking a look at our Connection Troubleshooter:

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001849007-connectivity

Please try the steps listed there and let us know which ones succeed and which ones do not. Thanks !

If canyouseeme.org does not give you a success for the port check nothing else matters as the is the first step.  That generally means either you do not have your port forwarded correctly in your router or your ISP is blocking you.

HellRazor379

port forwarding seemed fairly simple... I guess I'll try to contact my ISP. I'll post again if that doesn't work. Thanks!

10 hours ago, HellRazor379 said:

port forwarding seemed fairly simple... I guess I'll try to contact my ISP. I'll post again if that doesn't work. Thanks!

If you want me to do a quick remote session with you and verify this, just send me a PM.

• 3 weeks later...
HellRazor379

Just an update on my situation, it seems to have corrected itself. I port forwarded, but nobody outside of my network could connect. I contacted my ISP and they assured me that there were no issues on their end and I wasn't experiencing any cgNAT issues. Still couldn't connect after this phone call. I was busy in real life, so I was planning on reaching out to cayars when I was available for verification of my port forwarding... but magically over the weekend it works again. Hopefully it stays functional... if it goes down again I'll create my own post.

Happy2Play
1 hour ago, HellRazor379 said:

Just an update on my situation, it seems to have corrected itself. I port forwarded, but nobody outside of my network could connect. I contacted my ISP and they assured me that there were no issues on their end and I wasn't experiencing any cgNAT issues. Still couldn't connect after this phone call. I was busy in real life, so I was planning on reaching out to cayars when I was available for verification of my port forwarding... but magically over the weekend it works again. Hopefully it stays functional... if it goes down again I'll create my own post.

Devs are looking into this but as a temporary fix you can put your WAN address in Network Domain Name.

Remote WAN IP changed format