Hosting webserver for myself and friends - slow download of media

MissFinalVerse

MissFinalVerse

Hey guys, I am having an issue where while downloading media files like mkv, mp4, webm, etc... The person downloading the file has ridiculously slow download speed. Is there any port I need to forward to allow faster downloads from outside the home network, if so which ones?

Is there any other way I could remedy this issue? Friend is outside of Australia, I am in Australia and hosting from there. Maybe it could be an ISP setting on my account?

Please help ;_;

Painkiller8818
1 hour ago, MissFinalVerse said:

Hey guys, I am having an issue where while downloading media files like mkv, mp4, webm, etc... The person downloading the file has ridiculously slow download speed. Is there any port I need to forward to allow faster downloads from outside the home network, if so which ones?

Is there any other way I could remedy this issue? Friend is outside of Australia, I am in Australia and hosting from there. Maybe it could be an ISP setting on my account?

Please help ;_;

Is it emby related? What server and what OS? And keep in mind: YOUR Upload Speed is his maximum download speed

Lenders57
1 hour ago, MissFinalVerse said:

Please help ;_;

Just do a speed test and check your upload speed ;)

MissFinalVerse

Ok, so I did a tracert from my US friend's computer and it seems that it's jumping a lot of servers when it hits Australia and is losing speed then. Going to try and sort something out with internet provider and go from there.

MissFinalVerse
17 hours ago, Luke said:

Let us know how you get on. Thanks.

Provider said they couldn't do anything, that is normal speeds from downloading overseas.

ummm... I think not.

Sounds like they have some bad peering points to me.
There likely isn't anything you can do about this short of changing providers.

6 hours ago, MissFinalVerse said:

Provider said they couldn't do anything, that is normal speeds from downloading overseas.

ummm... I think not.

What do you mean you think not?

MissFinalVerse
3 hours ago, cayars said:

I read that as meaning it was a fluff answer and this is not always "normal".

You are absolutely correct.

@Luke When my friend is downloading a file using the download feature, my upload bandwidth is not being fully utilized. I don't know how to change this.

2 hours ago, MissFinalVerse said:

You are absolutely correct.

@Luke When my friend is downloading a file using the download feature, my upload bandwidth is not being fully utilized. I don't know how to change this.

There could be port throttling happening on either side of the connection, and that could be why it's not going as fast as you'd expect. Have you considered that?

It could also mean your ISP doesn't have good enough peering point(s) to handle some of the International traffic you are using.

If for example people on your continent can download at a brisk pace from you as well as some other areas (ie UK, Italy, New Zealand) but not US or Canada that's a strong indicator they are at max capacity for those other areas so all traffic is delivered as quickly as possible "fighting it out" for bandwidth. In this case the download speed could be a fraction of what a near-by download would be when you're not hitting a "traffic jam" or bottle neck in packet routing.

If this is the case there is little you can usually do about this short of getting your traffic off their network to another backbone as quickly as possible to change it's routing.  VPNs can be used for this purpose but they come with their own set of headaches and complications as well.

I've using a service like the free plan at Cloudflare can also help a lot in this regard and is a much better choice then VPNs as their network can have a local server to you that's pulls from your server while using their own fast backbone to connect to other continents.  This of course only works for hosts like Emby or other web servers but not for other types of traffic.

justinrh
On 10/23/2021 at 3:19 AM, MissFinalVerse said:

Ok, so I did a tracert from my US friend's computer and it seems that it's jumping a lot of servers when it hits Australia and is losing speed then

Did you do a speed test from your house to somewhere near your friend's US location?

MissFinalVerse
5 hours ago, justinrh said:

Did you do a speed test from your house to somewhere near your friend's US location?

Yes I did, and I did trace route to his IP using my ISP.

Data tells me that my ISP is not perfect.

Are there any Australian users here to compare networks?

seanbuff
6 minutes ago, MissFinalVerse said:

Are there any Australian users here to compare networks?

Sure, what do you need?

MissFinalVerse
2 hours ago, seanbuff said:

Sure, what do you need?

Are you with AussieBB?

I am hoping to compare lines with someone who isn't with AussieBB

MissFinalVerse
Just now, seanbuff said:

Haha yeah I am. Sorry.

Damn, I have an appointment with Telstra at 1 on Friday so I might look into one of their plans. the 700/40 looks ok.

rbjtech

Without going into too much detail, latency over WAN's has a massive impact on download speed depending on the packet size and 'chatty' nature of the protocol used.  Emby is going to be using the same TCP packet based protocols for a download as it does for streaming - for streaming, this may work well - it only needs to pass the data in 'real-time' for it to be effective - but during a 'download' you want it to use as much bandwidth as you have available.

As @cayars has allude to your ISP does not appear to have the best WAN infrastructure - If you do a search, I did a fair bit of research on WAN based streaming for another user - and at a certain point (I think it was ~300ms latency) then performance dropped off a cliff.  

If you have the ability to do a tracert (trace route) to/from the client to your emby host - then this will provide a much better indication of problem areas than a generic speedtest that may be using jumbo frames and local caches to provide a false result.

You could also try using a proper file transfer protocol such as SFTP or SSH - which are designed to accommodate WAN/latency.

• Agree 2