Server List Meatballs Menu button hasn't been working for a long time

PRAGMA
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

In the "Select Server" server list on initial Web App configuration screen (for both desktop and tv versions), it hasn't worked in an incredibly long time.

image.thumb.png.deabfb9fb0b5ab60d3ccc63d216ff44e.png

I've tried to use it via the server-provided Web App build, and the latest one accessed through app.emby.media and it hasn't worked for an incredibly long time. So long in fact that you can see it has racked up a few old server instances from months or even years back.

It's also showing the "Sign in with Emby Connect" button (as a folder icon?) even though I did get to this screen through the Emby Connect login screen that came before it.

image.png.71c66dca1c4cce78e57dfa520a1a4426.png

This is the error that is shown in the JavaScript Console which seems to be some kind of deprecated call, or a call that failed due to some kind of other API change.

The getCommands line is:

apiClient.isMinServerVersion('4.6.0.4') && (options.removeFromNextUp && commands.push({
  name: _globalize.default.translate('HeaderRemoveFromNextUp'),
  id: 'removefromnextup',
  icon: 'remove_circle'
}), options.removeFromResume && commands.push({
  name: _globalize.default.translate('HeaderRemoveFromContinueWatching'),
  id: 'removefromresume',
  icon: 'remove_circle'
}))

And based on the error, it seems `apiClient` is null, yet not undefined.

I use this pretty routinely as a lot of people add me to their systems for testing and I remove the server after.  Here's an example I just did:
image.png.851222d26da12a999692e3158cb93eae.png

image.png.2e9cc809575bcbabcc2e0a59ee38462f.png

image.png.d0525a81e2528368c1e936303e8224f8.png

GrimReaper
Just now, cayars said:

I use this pretty routinely as a lot of people add me to their systems for testing and I remove the server after.  Here's an example I just did:
image.png.851222d26da12a999692e3158cb93eae.png

image.png.2e9cc809575bcbabcc2e0a59ee38462f.png

image.png.d0525a81e2528368c1e936303e8224f8.png

That folder icon surely does need being replaced? As the text underneath needs re-wording and font adjusting so it is fully visible, maybe "Emby Connect Sign in" (20 spaces vs current 25?)

Edited by GrimReaper

14 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

That folder icon surely does need being replaced? As the text underneath needs re-wording and font adjusting so it is fully visible, maybe "Emby Connect Sign in" (20 spaces vs current 25?)

Or just "Sign In" with a Login/User/Person/Padlock Icon could be another option.
Or, why is this a button-card view in the first place? Wouldn't it make much more sense to have a long horizontal list-style view? Clearly the square box card space would be for some kind of image or useful distinguishable icon, which neither is being used. So if we can say that the big card is useless, then all thats left is a bunch of small boxes with text on it. So at that point just make it a list which would allow longer text for the server names, but also give great options for adding in more information, more buttons, show the host, port, and so on.

GrimReaper
Just now, PRAGMA said:

Or, why is this a button-card view in the first place? Wouldn't it make much more sense to have a long horizontal list-style view? Clearly the square box card space would be for some kind of image or useful distinguishable icon, which neither is being used. So if we can say that the big card is useless, then all thats left is a bunch of small boxes with text on it. So at that point just make it a list which would allow longer text for the server names, but also give great options for adding in more information, more buttons, show the host, port, and so on.

While I can understand what you're saying, I reckon it would not be met with approval from existing userbase, both from habit-standpoint and design consistency, as once server selected you are presented with same layout for logging to the actual server, where those boxes are often used for presenting an image. Not to say that all client apps present same layout, so it would likely require reworking all of them. 

7 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

While I can understand what you're saying, I reckon it would not be met with approval from existing userbase, both from habit-standpoint and design consistency, as once server selected you are presented with same layout for logging to the actual server, where those boxes are often used for presenting an image. Not to say that all client apps present same layout, so it would likely require reworking all of them. 

I also get what you're saying, but innovation and improvement is important. User bases in any field always have to get on with it. If they didnt, innovation would be stifled.

GrimReaper
Just now, PRAGMA said:

I also get what you're saying, but innovation and improvement is important. User bases in any field always have to get on with it. If they didnt, innovation would be stifled.

Sure, as with everything else, it's ultimately up to the Devs to decide whether gain/loss ratio is worth it, and be willing to handle the backlash. 

It's a little confusing. For example the Syn920 and Portable servers are what? Are they local servers self discovered, ones I've manually added or servers I've connected to previously via Emby Connect?

If you've used EC for a while you know the answer but it's confusing to many users and sometimes even hard to diagnose in the forums when asking specific questions. Maybe being color coded would help in this respect as you could ask if the server box is red, blue or yellow (or something like that) which could tell you quickly if it's an auto discovered server, manually added or from EC.

Yes the wording for "Sign in with Emby Co..." needs changing to maybe "Emby Connect Login" which should fit.  The folder icon really needs to go as well.
Instead of the color coding I mentioned above the icon used for each server could be different.  Local discovered servers could even say "Local" and give the IP in the box itself making it crystal clear.

Those are just a couple of small changes that would make this info easier to understand especially when trying to help someone with connection or EC issues.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, GrimReaper said:

And where's the famous "Emby-green"? 😉

My theme is blue. :)

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Alberto19 said:

No se como se configura 

HI, have you setup your own Emby Server, or are you trying to connect to someone else's server?