Advice for Setting Up Remote Access for "Tech Inept" Family Member

DarWun

DarWun

This is a long shot. I would like to provide my brother who lives 100's of km's from my location access to my Emby library. He is, for the most part, not technically inclined when it comes to PCs. Based on early discussions I've had with him about what he would need to do to make this happen, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to walk him through setting up Emby on his end. I would do an in-house setup for him if I lived closer. But as of right now, that is not an option.

Are there any guides with "simple" instructions I could provide to him to help him along?

GrimReaper
Just now, DarWun said:

This is a long shot. I would like to provide my brother who lives 100's of km's from my location access to my Emby library. He is, for the most part, not technically inclined when it comes to PCs. Based on early discussions I've had with him about what he would need to do to make this happen, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to walk him through setting up Emby on his end. I would do an in-house setup for him if I lived closer. But as of right now, that is not an option.

Are there any guides with "simple" instructions I could provide to him to help him along?

Not quite sure what do you mean by that, he literally only has to open a browser and type-in your server address? 

• Like 1

DarWun
1 hour ago, GrimReaper said:

Not quite sure what do you mean by that, he literally only has to open a browser and type-in your server address? 

Is that all there is to it? I thought he would have to install the Emby sever and configure it...this might be simpler than I thought.

Thanks!!!

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, DarWun said:

Is that all there is to it? I thought he would have to install the Emby sever and configure it...this might be simpler than I thought.

Thanks!!!

He would only need a server if he has his own media.

For remote access to your server, you would need ensure you have remote access enabled and your ports open.  Ideally you just attach a Connect/Forum username to a local user account and he can login via Connect.

So the primary question is do you have Remote access setup on your server?

• Like 1

DarWun
12 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

He would only need a server if he has his own media.

For remote access to your server, you would need ensure you have remote access enabled and your ports open.  Ideally you just attach a Connect/Forum username to a local user account and he can login via Connect.

So the primary question is do you have Remote access setup on your server?

Thanks. I recently enabled remote access on my NAS server when I first started playing with this. Giving my brother access was my first attempt at officially providing remote access to someone. I think my ports are setup properly...I'll know for sure when he attempts to access the server later tonight.

I had been heading in the wrong direction entirely by trying to get him to install and configure Emby on his PC...it will be a while before the bruises heal from banging my head against the wall on that exercise 😉 

• Like 1

Deathsquirrel

Just a heads up, while you can do this with very little effort, the result may not meet your security needs and could very easily result in you getting in trouble with your ISP or even rights holders, depending on what you're serving up and how your server is configured.  I strongly recommend you invest time in setting up a secure solution that's easy for your brother to access with your support before opening access to your brother.  There are lots of articles here in the forums about securing your server.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DarWun
9 hours ago, Deathsquirrel said:

Just a heads up, while you can do this with very little effort, the result may not meet your security needs and could very easily result in you getting in trouble with your ISP or even rights holders, depending on what you're serving up and how your server is configured.  I strongly recommend you invest time in setting up a secure solution that's easy for your brother to access with your support before opening access to your brother.  There are lots of articles here in the forums about securing your server.

Thanks for the heads up @Deathsquirrel. I suspected as much. This is exactly why I've delayed giving my brother access for as long as I have. I have a bit more reading to do before I convince myself that my server is secure. I did do a test run to confirm remote access worked. It did. But I disabled remote access on my NAS shortly thereafter because I wasn't entirely sure that I'd done all I needed to do to lock the server down.