nvidia shield issues

bandit8623

bandit8623

coming from plex,  but why is the interface so much different on the shield vs the web/android?  honestly the layout is not good at all.  if it was the same as the web and android app it would be great.

also when pausing episodes for a time a few times the audio is off.  go back and start again its fine.

thx

GrimReaper
14 minutes ago, bandit8623 said:

coming from plex,  but why is the interface so much different on the shield vs the web/android?  honestly the layout is not good at all.  if it was the same as the web and android app it would be great.

Some of us prefer it exactly as it is, not a Web UI copy but a standalone app with it's own charms. 

You can always sideload vanilla Android app and have same interface. 

As for:

14 minutes ago, bandit8623 said:

also when pausing episodes for a time a few times the audio is off.  go back and start again its fine.

do see:

Edited by GrimReaper
  • Like 1

bandit8623
24 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Some of us prefer it exactly as it is, not a Web UI copy but a standalone app with it's own charms. 

You can always sideload vanilla Android app and have same interface. 

why does every other app have the option to change to any version you want but not on the nvidia ? as in you can select desktop or mobile or auto.  just a suggestion to add that to the shield :)

thx for the response :)

GrimReaper
1 minute ago, bandit8623 said:

why does every other app have the option to change to any version you want but not on the nvidia ? as in you can select desktop or mobile or auto.  just a suggestion to add that to the shield :)

thx for the response :)

As stated both by @FrostByte and myself - sideload Android app on your Shield. 

bandit8623
5 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

As stated both by @FrostByte and myself - sideload Android app on your Shield. 

i saw that thx.  a high number of people will not know how or want to sideload apps. this is just a suggestion as i dont need this functionality this minute.  

Edited by bandit8623

GrimReaper

Tbh don't see the point - why would you want to run AndroidTV app on mobile or desktop? Android app already covers those (and it has the layout you prefer). 

Edited by GrimReaper

CBers
7 hours ago, bandit8623 said:

why is the interface so much different on the shield vs the web/android? 

Because the Android TV app is designed to run in the Android TV environment, which is different to Android and web interfaces.

Plex have their own ATV app.

This is the alternative app that is mentioned above.

Edited by CBers
  • Like 1

Hi. It actually shouldn't be "so much different" compared to the other apps in TV mode.

Can you provide some specifics on what you are finding different?

Thanks.

bandit8623
10 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi. It actually shouldn't be "so much different" compared to the other apps in TV mode.

Can you provide some specifics on what you are finding different?

Thanks.

ive made it quite a bit better with changing the thumb settings and size,  but the tiny filter setting on the right are just plain annoying to use.

but its alot better now than it was before i changed default settings.  appreciate you asking 

cheers

In many respects the Android TV app is something of a power user app. It may not be the prettiest Emby app but It's likely the most powerful app to run on a hardware device.

This particular forum is packed with power users (we are drawn to Android TV over other devices/OS) and many of us pretty hard-headed as well in how it should work. LOL
This has most likely influenced the design in many ways as @ebr has catered to us on many things to really get the most from this device.

You brought up a perfect example about the filters off to the side being small and I assume hard to read/understand from a distance.  I think that's a fair comment and true, but from a power user standpoint we know what each of those buttons do, can get to them quickly and don't want them hogging up screen space so their smaller size is beneficial when you're used to the UI. Android TV has other "quirks" as well that were somewhat designed by committee or influenced by the users to work a bit different than other apps.

The demands of new users vs power users can be quite conflicting for things like this and probably a better balance is needed, but will get met with resistance from the existing users. :)
Possibly Android TV needs it's own modes choice as well. Not tablet, PC or TV but more like Beginner/Intermediate/Expert UIs. Without that many of the power users will be hard resisting changes to what is almost perfect otherwise (for usability).

Adding modes like that is a lot of work I'm sure but would be a solution. Mode choices on other apps like Theater stopped such issues when people had two different uses for the client or strong feelings about specifics.

Edited by cayars
  • Agree 2

GrimReaper
1 hour ago, Spaceboy said:

also don't understand this. its the best looking emby app out there IMO

Yup, joining the club, I suppose quite a few of us were left puzzled with that statement. Then again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so there's that.

While I can second majority of what Carlo said, funcionality-wise, as ATV app is unsurpassed in that respect, in some aspects by quite a lenght, I certainly cannot where looks are concerned. Wherever I come to it after a Web or Theater session, first thought is usually "Man, that's pleasant". I like it's undertone, I like that it's sublime, I like that it ain't throwing fancy graphics and neon colors in my face nor attacking my senses, but gives an aura of serenity and seriousness. It certainly doesn't look it was made to cater to my 11yo son - but to me. And that's something I'm rejoicing in. As does my OCD, with the number of design choices. 

So, heavy support for current (and hopefully future) looks here, if some adjustments need to be made to cater to the masses - kindly keep them minimal.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spaceboy said:

also don't understand this. its the best looking emby app out there IMO

All I think I said was that it wasn't the pretties app.  Is that wrong?

ATV is my favorite as well but doesn't have quite the modern look of web or theater for example. Everything is kind of square/boxing looking by item positioning. That's not actually a bad thing in my book so don't get me wrong, but some people comment on the ATV app saying it's not as modern looking.  To me it's just a bit different but designed like a really good ATV app.

I've always been fine with the different apps all having their own flare and uniqueness as long as they all have the needed functionality.  They run on different devices and OS, so I'd rather have apps that can excel (because it's better hardware) be allowed to vs dumbing down everything (as some companies do) so you have the same unique UI everywhere.  Apps should have a characteristic IMHO of the device/OS it's running on and be similar to other apps on that platform design wise.  I wouldn't expect an Android TV app to look like a Roku or Apple TV app for example. Neither would I expect a Windows program to look like a Mac program with exactly the same menus, etc...

Certainly no disrespect was meant to my beloved ATV app in saying it may not be the pretties. LOL

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

CBers
8 minutes ago, cayars said:

All I think I said was that it wasn't the pretties app.  Is that wrong?

Yes.

9 minutes ago, cayars said:

ATV is my favorite as well but doesn't have quite the modern look of web or theater for example. Everything is kind of square/boxing looking by item positioning. That's not actually a bad thing in my book so don't get me wrong, but some people comment on the ATV app saying it's not as modern looking.  To me it's just a bit different but designed like a really good ATV app.

The Web Client and the Android app, which is ET by another name, is nowhere near as good looking as the ATV app.

This has gone off topic, so if you want to start a new thread about the design of the ATV app, as well as the other Emby apps, going forward, I'm sure Eric and Luke will appreciate it.

Edited by CBers
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, cayars said:

I wouldn't expect an Android TV app to look like a Roku or Apple TV app for example.

It depends on which platform is the poster child for the application. In this case Android TV is the poster child. All TV apps aspire to look and function as closely to that paradigm as possible. In other words, the Android TV app won't look like Roku or Apple TV. The Roku and Apple TV will look like Android TV. How closely depends on what the hardware will allow. The Roku can look exactly like Android TV and soon will. :)

Edited by speechles

GrimReaper

Related, recent post from @CBers

On 10/18/2021 at 11:06 PM, CBers said:

ATV app

Emby_20211018_220206.thumb.png.ee023a41eee0e6807d91d094632c81da.png

Android app

Emby_20211018_220228.thumb.png.75d1df5031d32962baf941c80bebb501.png

Can anyone seriously tell that Android app is better looking? 

• Like 1

CBers
17 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Related, recent post from

Can anyone seriously tell that Android app is better looking? 

They both look better when using the Logo as Title.

• Like 2

veehexx1

maybe i'm acustomed to it, but yes, ATV version does look better to me.

clearer buttons that are uniform in size, background less hidden with text/icons.

bear in mind ATV is designed as a 10ft UI and for remote usage. Android is almost exclusively touch based.

back to one of the original queries from OP... i too am getting the audio format change on pause/resume playback. seems to drop down to 2ch from the correct 5.1. I'm yet to raise a bug as i've only just discovered the exact problem over the last few weeks although i think i might wait till after the next release (>4.6.4.0) before reporting as theres been a number of other changes.

FrostByte
5 minutes ago, veehexx1 said:

maybe i'm acustomed to it, but yes, ATV version does look better to me.

clearer buttons that are uniform in size, background less hidden with text/icons.

bear in mind ATV is designed as a 10ft UI and for remote usage. Android is almost exclusively touch based.

back to one of the original queries from OP... i too am getting the audio format change on pause/resume playback. seems to drop down to 2ch from the correct 5.1. I'm yet to raise a bug as i've only just discovered the exact problem over the last few weeks although i think i might wait till after the next release (>4.6.4.0) before reporting as theres been a number of other changes.

I don't think that's the same issue the OP brought up.  The OP is having a sync issue with audio and video after pausing.  Your issue is down mixing

veehexx1
Just now, FrostByte said:

I don't think that's the same issue the OP brought up.  The OP is having a sync issue with audio and video after pausing.  Your issue is down mixing

ah, i read it as the audio sounding 'off', which is how i originally described my downmixing issue before understanding exactly what was happening.... rather than a lipsync issue which appears to be how you understood OP.