Mac Mini - Windows or macOS?

bionemesis

bionemesis

I have a newer (not M1) Mac Mini that I want to start using as my emby server. It has a T2 chip, which I understand should improve transcoding over a non-T2 chip. The question is, am I better off leaving it running macOS or installing Windows 10 via Bootcamp? All this device will do is run emby server, nothing else. Thank you!

Windows 10 via Bootcamp

Hi, we haven't tried this, so that's a good question. I'd tend to lean towards the native MacOS package, but if you end up trying it, please let us know how it goes. Thanks.

ccastilla

I currently have exactly a Mac Mini that now is running MacOS, before I was using Bootcamp on the same computer.

I'm very happy now running it on MacOS, but it does have a small tradeoff. With Windows, you get automatic updates. With MacOS you need to download each new version and install it.

Other things to consider is that in Windows you need to use NTFS, but MacOS can only read NTFS, not write to it (there are ways around it). So for MacOS it would be better to use a true MacOS file system.

I will suggest you run it in MacOS, as the OS and all drivers will be more up to date.

Edited by ccastilla
  • Agree 1