Video is Glitchy...Perhaps someone can help.

Oracle

Hey, I know the title of this thread is a bit non-descript, but perhaps someone can help me figure this out. Also, didn't really know what else to title it. LOL!

I have a number of MKV files that are encoded as HEVC, and when played on devices such as my smartphone, and a few TVs around the house, they all direct play from Emby correctly.

I'd like to continue to direct play, as to not kill my CPU usage on my Synology NAS, and avoid transcoding all together.

However, on Windows-based devices, specifically, I have discovered that it forces the transcoding process all around.

I've tried this on multiple Windows PCs, not sure if Microsoft's problem or if there is something I can do on my end.

I host a number of family members that utilize Windows OS to stream Emby, and I'd ideally like to continue that.

Any tips on how to fix this?

I am happy to provide server logs privately, just shoot me a DM.

Here's a small snippet of Luke Cage S01E01 doing this.

Edited by Arly (Sprinkles)
More information added.

GrimReaper
16 minutes ago, Arly (Sprinkles) said:

However, on Windows-based devices, specifically, I have discovered that it forces the transcoding process all around.

I've tried this on multiple Windows PCs, not sure if Microsoft's problem or if there is something I can do on my end.

I host a number of family members that utilize Windows OS to stream Emby, and I'd ideally like to continue that.

Playing from what, Theater or browser? 

Just now, GrimReaper said:

Playing from what, Theater or browser? 

Me personally, what I have tested on is just a browser instance of Emby. I didn't even think about Emby Theater. Wow...Stupid me.

After doing some additional testing, Theater is the way to go. All of my other users that use Windows also use Theater, so this works out great!

Thanks for the common sense punch in the face, mate! :)

• Like 1