XPEnology Performance

Bobby121418

Bobby121418

Hi

I have recently been testing xpenology on an old machine. I have AMD X2 250 with 4GB of ram running DSM 6.2.3-25426 update 3 running as ds3617xs. 

I cannot seem to stream to more than one device. Is there a way to improve this? Also I realise this is an old hardware but would hardware transcoding be possible?

Many thanks 

Bob

Bobby121418
3 hours ago, Bobby121418 said:

Hi

I have recently been testing xpenology on an old machine. I have AMD X2 250 with 4GB of ram running DSM 6.2.3-25426 update 3 running as ds3617xs. 

I cannot seem to stream to more than one device. Is there a way to improve this? Also I realise this is an old hardware but would hardware transcoding be possible?

Many thanks 

Bob

Just to add, I am running the latest Emby server package for 64bit.

@Bobby121418 you're probably better off avoiding transcoding on this server and then yes, you should be able to have multiple simultaneous streams.

Can you post an ffmpeg log example of what you're currently playing? Thanks 

Bobby121418

Thanks for coming back so quickly Luke!

Attaching the request log. It seems today I had a bit more luck as more streams worked.

For this I played tha same 1080p movie on 3 devices, starting from Windows machine logged into the Emby server from Synology, then added LG TV with Emby app on it and after on an Android device with Emby app. All were on the same LAN. Initially it looked like there was transcoding going on with one of the first two streams because the xpenology server CPU shot up to 99%, however the third stream seemed to work for a short while before freezes starting to happen. First on the LG TV I lost the sound so I stopped that stream.

Let me know how best we could set the settings. It would be great to allow transcoding as the intention was to use Emy remotely given my broadband is not strong enough for 1080p video. But do we need transcoding on these devices when on the same LAN? 

Thanks

ffmpeg-transcode-fbc76c25-6431-4f49-a837-ca61ba7161b7_1.txt

Hi, that file has at least 27 streams in it and many are PGS subs.
That's a whole lot of streams for a single file and likely going to cause problems transcoding.

You should try and make sure your media uses the least amount of streams possible by getting rid of audio and subs that are in languages you'll never use.
If you can download SRT subs for the movie you can remove all the internal subtitles as well.

Bobby121418

Thank you cayars for your response.

Unfortunately these files are backup copies of my blu ray collection and the ides is to have the full suite of capabilities. 

Is there any parameters I could set to improve this and ensure transcode does not take place when on same LAN? Or to reduce stress on the CPU?

I have taken the latest server version that was available on the site, but would there be one better suited to this AMD?

Thanks 

I understand your situation as we've all been there.
Unfortunately what works great for disc based media isn't always ideal for streaming.

You're question is hard to answer without more info.
Can you take a screenshot of this media's media info section from the bottom of the detail screen?
That will give us more info that's easy to read.

Based on that info we can help you a lot better with an answer to that question.