Unable to select another audio track

notfreebeer

teicang

Hi Sam, stupid question, is it not possible to do a dirty patch to force the emby app to use the second language (I suppose NOT the DEFAULT one) only as a temporary solution while waiting for the Samsung fix? Most of the movies with the problem at the moment only have two languages present, English and Italian (in my case), so if we force the second I think I can use it while waiting for the final solution 🙂

Do you think it might be possible?

many thx

\Gianni

SamES

The issue is that regardless of what we do, it's only playing the first track, so what you have suggested won't work.

One option is that we can force it to do the track switching on the server instead of the client.  This is easy and doesn't add much overhead as no conversion is done, but this may cause other problems, particularly for 4K/HEVC content where we know we have problems when delivered by HLS

My concern is that if we can't determine exactly which models this impacts (and at this stage I'm not certain of that) it may causes more problems than it fixes.  From what you've seen, is it only people with 2021 model TV's that are having this problem?

However, it is an option to do this.

teicang
10 minutes ago, SamES said:

s it only people with 2021 model TV's that are having this problem?

From the post on this topic I suppose yes.

I have also an another old model of samsung TV and on this model the languagge swap works fine (very old model I think around 8 years old)

\Gianni

FrostByte

I bet a script could be written to change the second (Italian) audio track in a library to the default using the mkvtoolnix cli.  It would only be a header change, no remuxing.  Samsung isn't known to be very fast.

SamES
11 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

I bet a script could be written to change the second (Italian) audio track in a library to the default using the mkvtoolnix cli.  It would only be a header change, no remuxing.  Samsung isn't known to be very fast.

It's possible, I'm just not sure whether it is only playing the first track or the default track.  ie: if the default track is the second audio track, which one gets played?

@teicang this is something you could test if you have a file with the second audio track flagged as the default, or alternatively you could set the second track as default with Mkvtoolnix and see what happens.

• Like 1

teicang
15 minutes ago, SamES said:

It's possible, I'm just not sure whether it is only playing the first track or the default track.  ie: if the default track is the second audio track, which one gets played?

@teicang this is something you could test if you have a file with the second audio track flagged as the default, or alternatively you could set the second track as default with Mkvtoolnix and see what happens.

If you and Frost explain me how to proceed I sure perfor a test 🙂

Frost were I can dowload the mkvtoolnix cli and could me quick explain what have to do to convert the movies?

I can dowload one of the movies with double audio were the problem is present from my NAS to my PC ,covert it with mkvtool and after load back and see what happen 🙂

\Gianni

FrostByte

MKVToolNix Downloads – Matroska tools for Linux/Unix and Windows

• Once you start Click "Header editor" on the left
  • Open your file (drag and drop works)
  • Find your two audio tracks under "Type"
  • Expand them and change Default to "No" for English and "Yes" for the Italian track
  • Then click "Save from the menu
  • Then refresh your movie and Emby should see the other track as the default

All this does is change the default flag for the audio tracks and they will still be in the same order inside the file.  Try that first as it would be the easiest to change without remuxing and only takes a few seconds.  

image.thumb.png.e50d261b41f8ee4621eaf88926d30b55.png

Edited by FrostByte
  • Thanks 1

teicang

good, today and tomorrow I'm out . Asap I will come back I will test the procedure. 🙂

in the meantime I dowload the tool and start to have some feeling with it 🙂

I'll keep you updated

many thx for your help 🙂

\Gianni

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

teicang
58 minutes ago, SamES said:

Can you try installing firmware version 2001.4 and check if this issue still exists?  It was released last week.

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/QE65Q80AATXXU/#downloads 

Sure Sam, this evening I will check direct from TV if it already discovered the update. In this case I will update it immediately ad test again the fault.
Hoping to have good news for you 🙂

Meanwhile Frost, waiting to go home, I just download a few minutes of different movies just to analyze them with MKVTool to find some logic in the fault movies.

BUT unfortunately I'm not be able to undestand which could be the reason, some time ,also if the default languagge is setting well in Italian the problem is present

This is an example of English movie playback even though the default setting is correct in Italian.

image.png.bb0b3aaa69f0ec343e674d05a4a57df4.png

image.png.d85113adbe8475255a0120fecc717fdf.pngimage.png.a0189b86e7557db394bcd0e21631ae0b.png

FrostByte

Looking at those examples it looks like the correct one (Italian) is already set as default.  If you're having the same issue with that movie then I'm seeing a couple things that may also cause the issue which SamES alluded to above.  

First, typically the order of things is all video, all audio, all subtitles, and then chapter tracks.  What you have is a video, audio, subs, another audio, more subs, etc.  It could be that the Tizen player goes down the track list (all tracks are numbered 0, 1, 2, etc to whatever) and sees the first couple of subs and no longer checks for audio tracks.  So, just moving the Italian audio track up underneath the English track may help.

Example 1:

• Video
  • Audio English
  • Audio Italian (default)
  • Sub English
  • Sub English
  • Sub Italian (default)
  • Sub Italian
  • Chapter

Secondly, if you were to arrange the order of the different tracks you could just go ahead and move the default (Italian) audio and Sub tracks above the English ones.  With the top track in each category being the default track.

This is how all mine are ordered.

Example 2:

• Video
  • Audio Italian (default)
  • Audio English
  • Sub Italian (default)
  • Sub Italian
  • Sub English
  • Sub English
  • Chapter

Changing the order will require a remux using Mkvtoolnix though.  However, nothing is lost and you're just putting everything in another mkv container though in a different order.

If you felt like testing this with your movie you could first try moving the Italian (default) up underneath the English track like in the first example above combining like tracks.  Try it.  Then if that still doesn't work put the default track above the others like in Example 2.  If you were to do this  and let @SamES know then maybe he could take a look at the code and possibly fix something.

Edited by FrostByte

teicang
16 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

If you felt like testing this with your movie you could first try moving the Italian (default) up underneath the English track like in the first example above combining like tracks.  Try it.  Then if that still doesn't work put the default track above the others like in Example 2.  If you were to do this  and let @SamES know then maybe he could take a look at the code and possibly fix something.

Sure I will test, 🙂  . To move the track as for  example 1 ,  Can I just drag with the mouse the Italian Audio track e move up , I have done and now the structure is how the picture

is thi correct ?, after I push save but NO remux has been done, is this correct?

\Gianni

image.png.334ecd7fe3f93c2114477f0c76089b8d.png

FrostByte

For remuxing click the "Mulitiplexer" tool in the left column.  Then open your file (drag and drop works).    In the Tracks window below click on a track and drag it to where you want it.  You should see a line indicating where it is when you drop it.  Then click the "Start multiplexing" button at the bottom

Example, I could click on AC-3 track and drag it up above the E-AC-3 track.

image.jpeg.2054def5f2a180ddde6dcf045592064a.jpeg

teicang

hi Frost, I tryed but in the multi plex view  I found this situation were the Italian track is immediately after the english track and not in position 5 , however now I try to move how first track and remux .see the second picture.

after remux I will try

\Gianni

image.png.728218376057923c0556c8ef4f6e4bf8.pngimage.png.2ae3eee2d7daabe83f212d4e202a6e8e.png

teicang

UPDATE GOOD NEWSSS 🙂 after remux the languagge start in Italian , so the first position is the Key. I saw only one problem, the audio is out sync with the video very little.

To be sure that is not the movies its self, tomorrow I will try with another movies to confirm that the position is the key and if the out of sync is present also in the second movies.

good night 🙂

image.png.4aaaf90b669e4cd5274c2bfbc5d9fb98.png

SamES

What you are seeing makes sense to what I ave also observed.  The first track is always played, no matter what is set in the file

I would try the new firmware.  It can take quite a while before the TV automatically updates.  I would suggest downloading it and installing it via USB.

teicang
9 hours ago, SamES said:

What you are seeing makes sense to what I ave also observed.  The first track is always played, no matter what is set in the file

I would try the new firmware.  It can take quite a while before the TV automatically updates.  I would suggest downloading it and installing it via USB.

Hi Sam yesterday night also update the Tv with a new sw 2001 but unfortunately first test I have done the problem is yet present 😞

Today I try to remux also another movies with the Audio problem to confirm that the moving in first position works fine and say if the loss of sync is a problem in all the remuxed movies or not.

bye

\Gianni

SamES

Thanks for trying the firmware update.  It's good to see that Samsung are still releasing these for your model, so with some hope they may fix this issue one day.

I've made a change to do the audio track switching on the server for 2021 models, and it also implements another method to try and overcome some other issues with 4K/HEVC content when we do this.  It may help, or it may cause a whole bunch of new issues.  Luke will create another USB installation so that you can test this before we release it, so hopefully you can try that in the next few days.

• Like 1

teicang
3 minutes ago, SamES said:

Thanks for trying the firmware update.  It's good to see that Samsung are still releasing these for your model, so with some hope they may fix this issue one day.

I've made a change to do the audio track switching on the server for 2021 models, and it also implements another method to try and overcome some other issues with 4K/HEVC content when we do this.  It may help, or it may cause a whole bunch of new issues.  Luke will create another USB installation so that you can test this before we release it, so hopefully you can try that in the next few days.

Sure I will test, in the meantime I convert another movies and confirm that after the remux moving the audio track in fisrt position IT Works  🙂

I looking forward  for the new release to test it 🙂 I'm lefting the movies with the problem so I can do several test

ciaooooo

\Gianni

• Like 1

SamES

@teicangcan you please download and try the latest USB release (https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/blob/master/tizen/tizen.zip)

Please let me know if this causes any new problems.  Can you also try some 4K/HEVC files that have an AC3 track as not the first audio track (ie second, third audio track) and make sure the picture quality is OK.  Please also check stats for nerds and check the playback method.  When you select the first audio track you should see DirectPlay (unless the first track is TrueHD or DTS in which case it will also be DirectStream), then , then when you select another audio track you should see DirectStream.  Hopefully in this case the picture quality is still OK. 

If possible, could you post a photo for me when you can play the second audio track?

teicang
On 6/18/2022 at 1:13 AM, SamES said:

@teicangcan you please download and try the latest USB release (https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/blob/master/tizen/tizen.zip)

Please let me know if this causes any new problems.  Can you also try some 4K/HEVC files that have an AC3 track as not the first audio track (ie second, third audio track) and make sure the picture quality is OK.  Please also check stats for nerds and check the playback method.  When you select the first audio track you should see DirectPlay (unless the first track is TrueHD or DTS in which case it will also be DirectStream), then , then when you select another audio track you should see DirectStream.  Hopefully in this case the picture quality is still OK. 

If possible, could you post a photo for me when you can play the second audio track?

OK sam, I will do and reply with the result.

thx

\Gianni

teicang

First test done. 🙂

Great result . The audio now is selectable 👍

I tried several movies were i know the problem is present . Now it works, I moved from 1 audio track to second and vice versa, always the language selected was right.

The only strange thing is , I don t see on the nerd statistic the directstream indication also if the audio was in Ac3.

Tomorrow I will continue to make some other test. Following the picture I made on a movie with Italian as a second track. Now is possible to hear the Italian language.

Let me know if I can make some other more interested test for you. 🙂

/Gianni

20220620_205709.jpg

SamES

Thanks, that's great.  Can you please attach any ffmpeg logs from that playback?