Unable to select another audio track

notfreebeer

notfreebeer

Hi,

apparently I'm not able to switch to another audio track from the Emby app for Tizen (1.1.04).

I found this post which is very similar, and I'm wondering if it's still a thing, in particular:

@Luke

the problem here is that the default track is not the first audio track. chrome has no api to change tracks, so when we direct play, we are relying on it to choose the track marked as default. To resolve this we will have to trigger a transcode when the default track is not the first track.

Except this is not in chrome but in Tizen, similarly to that post the media (mkv/h264/eac3) is being direct played and the audio track selection is only modified in the player UI... the audio keeps going with the first track no matter what.

Thanks everyone for your support.

FrostByte

Could you post your TV model and a screenshot of the media info from the web client for one of the videos you're having problems selecting an alternate audio track?

Are you switching tracks before clicking play or during playback?

When you try changing the audio track is the popup appearing to switch the audio track coming up and then just not changing anything when clicking play?  Or is the selection popup not even appearing?

Are you starting from the beginning of the movie, or jumping to a chapter after making your audio change?  There is a known problem when doing this.

Thanks

notfreebeer

Hi @FrostByte and @Luke

3 hours ago, FrostByte said:

Could you post your TV model and a screenshot of the media info from the web client for one of the videos you're having problems selecting an alternate audio track?

It's a QE55Q60AAUXZT.

The file details are:

Input #0, matroska,webm, from 'video.mkv':                                                                                                        
  Metadata:                                             
    encoder         : libebml v1.3.9 + libmatroska v1.5.2                                                        
    creation_time   : 2019-12-20T09:38:39.000000Z                                                                
  Duration: 02:05:58.53, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 8080 kb/s                                                     
    Stream #0:0: Video: h264 (Main), yuv420p(progressive), 1920x1080 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 24 fps, 24 tbr, 1k tbn, 48 tbc (default)                                                                                                  
    Metadata:                                           
      BPS-eng         : 6670404                         
      DURATION-eng    : 02:05:58.500000000              
      NUMBER_OF_FRAMES-eng: 181404                      
      NUMBER_OF_BYTES-eng: 6302281260                   
      _STATISTICS_WRITING_APP-eng: mkvmerge v41.0.0 ('Smarra') 64-bit                                            
      _STATISTICS_WRITING_DATE_UTC-eng: 2019-12-20 09:38:39                                                      
      _STATISTICS_TAGS-eng: BPS DURATION NUMBER_OF_FRAMES NUMBER_OF_BYTES                                        
    Stream #0:1(eng): Audio: eac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1, fltp
    Metadata:                                           
      title           : EAC3      
      BPS-eng         : 768000                                                                                   
      DURATION-eng    : 02:05:58.528000000                                                                       
      NUMBER_OF_FRAMES-eng: 236204       
      NUMBER_OF_BYTES-eng: 725618688                                                                             
    Stream #0:2(ita): Subtitle: subrip                                                                           
    Metadata:                                           
      title           : Regolari                        
      BPS-eng         : 52                              
      DURATION-eng    : 02:04:58.250000000              
      NUMBER_OF_FRAMES-eng: 1681                        
      NUMBER_OF_BYTES-eng: 49420                        
    Stream #0:3(ita): Audio: eac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1, fltp (default)                                                 
    Metadata:                                           
      title           : EAC3      
      BPS-eng         : 640000    
      DURATION-eng    : 02:05:57.536000000                                                                       
      NUMBER_OF_FRAMES-eng: 236173                                                                               
      NUMBER_OF_BYTES-eng: 604602880                                                                             
    Stream #0:4(ita): Subtitle: subrip (default)        
    Metadata:                                           
      title           : Forzati                         
      BPS-eng         : 17                              
      DURATION-eng    : 02:04:51.333000000                                                                       
      NUMBER_OF_FRAMES-eng: 430                                                                                  
      NUMBER_OF_BYTES-eng: 16580                                                                                 

Are you switching tracks before clicking play or during playback?

I can't change it before playing since it's already detected as the default track and showing as the selected track (but in practice the other one is picked when playback starts). During the playback I just try to switch back and forth but nothing happens.

When you try changing the audio track is the popup appearing to switch the audio track coming up and then just not changing anything when clicking play?  Or is the selection popup not even appearing?

You mean the audio track selection dialog? Yeah it does come out, I select the language but the audio is unchanged. Nonetheless, this new track is (in)correctly reported as the current one when I open the audio settings again...

Are you starting from the beginning of the movie, or jumping to a chapter after making your audio change?  There is a known problem when doing this

Yes, from the beginning (with the default track already detected but discarded in favor of the first one).

Edited by notfreebeer

Why do you think you can't change it before playing? You can set it to any track you want before playing.

notfreebeer

Sorry maybe I was not clear enough... I mean, there is nothing to change, the one I want is already selected (i.e. the app succeeds in detecting the default track, but is failing to play it... and additionally is also failing to switch between them).

Edited by notfreebeer

Can you please post the media info from the bottom of the details page on the server?

Please also confirm if playback is DirectPlay, DirectStream or Transcode?

Have you tried refreshing the metadata for the file?

notfreebeer
1 hour ago, SamES said:

Can you please post the media info from the bottom of the details page on the server?

mediainfo1.png.602dfeae0e871c7de35954e20daa8405.pngmediainfo2.png.f43e13455dd8b3a75a62bd7e2590072d.pngmediainfo1.png.ea8fbbc20519d0a8510da316bef837d7.png

mediainfo2.png.c88f58a481da82b971b7422e7ee85bf4.png

1 hour ago, SamES said:

Please also confirm if playback is DirectPlay, DirectStream or Transcode?

I confirm DirectPlay.

1 hour ago, SamES said:

Have you tried refreshing the metadata for the file?

Yes, nothing changes.

I should also add, in my PC browser (it reports DirectStream, and remuxing to HLS + transcoding to AAC afaict) everything works as expected, i.e. the default track is actually played by default, and tracks switching during playback actually works.

Edited by notfreebeer

So this looks like the second audio track is positioned after the internal subtitle stream.  That might be causing the issue.

Can you please attach a copy of the ffmpeg log from playback as HLS in the browser?

I will try and reproduce this, but one question, was the file always like this or did you add the additional audio track somehow?

notfreebeer
10 hours ago, SamES said:

So this looks like the second audio track is positioned after the internal subtitle stream.  That might be causing the issue.

Actually - speaking about the Tizen app in DirectPlay mode - I tried with other medias where subtitles are the last streams in the container or with no subtitles at all, and the issue is the same: only first audio track played (which may happen to be the default one) and in all cases no possibility to switch between tracks.

11 minutes ago, SamES said:

was the file always like this or did you add the additional audio track somehow?

No, I didn't modify anything of the original file (strictly speaking about me, i don't know about the file creator).

Edited by notfreebeer

FrostByte

While SamES is looking at it there is something you could do to fix the file so that it's in the normal order.  Mkvtoolnix will allow you to easily reorder them using drag and drop (just grab a track and move it up or down).  You can also set the appropriate default/forced flags then too if needed.  Then just remux.

If you have a lot of them it could take awhile, but at least the file should be good no matter what app you're using for playback.

Typically, tracks should be grouped together in video/audio/subtitles/chapters order.  Then you usually want your default tracks to be the first in each section also as some apps have issues with that.

drag.thumb.jpg.465fd70434be6bd3ef583b47b503d63b.jpg

• Thanks 1

notfreebeer

Hey @FrostByte thanks!

Yes I'm aware that I can reorder the streams, and that would fix the first issue for sure (the desired track selection), still not second one maybe (track switching at playback time)... as you say, it can be a temporary workaround, but not very feasible on the long run and with multiple files. Especially because it would require human inspection or scripting, and would double the space requirements to hold the modified copy if keeping the original is required.

Anyway yes, it's sad many apps have issues with ordering or default selection. The internal media player on Tizen is no exception (via dlna or usb stick), but at least I can switch between tracks there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, notfreebeer said:

Yes I'm aware that I can reorder the streams, and that would fix the first issue for sure (the desired track selection), 

Would you mind testing this on that one file, just to confirm that reordering the tracks resolves it?

• Like 1

notfreebeer

Hi @Luke, @SamES

since my files are quite large I looked for an equivalent sample video which has the same issue and that anyone can grab. I picked the sample 5 from Matroska test files... must be a good and well-formed demo to use as reference I guess.

The original file is mkv with video + default audio + default subtitle + other subtitles + secondary audio + other subtitles. Starting from this I created a second file which is an exact copy, except the default flag removed from the primary audio track and assigned to the secondary one.

The results are:

• the samples are DirectPlay-ed
  • for both of them the first track is used when the playback begins
  • for both of them the played track is unaffected when switching during playback
  • for both of them the played track is unaffected when switching before playback
  • although nothing changes, the player UI is updated according to the selected track
  • similarly to the post above from the other day, everything is ok from the web app, both default selections and track switching (DirectStream/HLS)

If you have other things to test I think we can agree on this file as reference.

14 hours ago, notfreebeer said:

sample 5 from Matroska test files

OK, I already have that file so I'll test it out.

Has this just started occurring recently, or has it always been an issue on this model TV, even with older app versions?

notfreebeer
7 hours ago, SamES said:

Has this just started occurring recently, or has it always been an issue on this model TV, even with older app versions?

I wish I could answer, but it's the first time I'm trying Emby on this model and on Tizen in general.

1 hour ago, notfreebeer said:

I wish I could answer, but it's the first time I'm trying Emby on this model and on Tizen in general.

Ok, that’s good. It’s possible that it is only related to these new models

notfreebeer
12 minutes ago, SamES said:

Ok, that’s good. It’s possible that it is only related to these new models

Yes I was suspecting that, indeed it's a recent model (within 1yr afaict)... they may have changed something?

FrostByte

Do you have the latest firmware for your TV?  Sometimes these odd playback issues are firmware related.  I'm seeing 1805.4 with a date of Sept 16.