Emby crash when start a specific tv show

XDavidT

XDavidT

Samsung model number: UE55TU8000UXSQ

Samsung firmware version: T-NKLDEUC-2014.1 , BT-S

Samsung Emby client version #: 1.0.97

After watching a 2 episodes of tv show, I switched to another  tv show and start watch, the emby client was crashed.
I opened my laptop to check if it happen in web client, but seem to work fine. Then I restart the server and try again, but it's crashed again.

You told that if the problem specific video, attached video details, so here is it also attached with the logs.

Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 22.09.25.png

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-remux-16657af1-4297-4867-86cb-1f179c2cea28_1.txt hardware_detection-63769845617.txt hardware_detection-63769845707.txt

• Like 1

FrostByte

When you say crash do you mean the app closes completely and has to be restarted or does the video just stop playing?  Do you see a spinning circle?

From what I see in the pic there really isn't anything odd or different.  However, I did notice there is a scroll arrow so you may have additional subtitles there.

How many subtitles are in that file?  Samsung has an issue when you get close to 30 tracks total (video + audio + subtitles) in a file.  

Try remuxing the file and remove unneeded subtitles.

If remuxing doesn't work are you able to share the file (or a part of it that still has the issue) on a cloud share?  Then PM us the link.   

I'm running a newer version of the app so can give it a try here.

XDavidT
2 hours ago, FrostByte said:

When you say crash do you mean the app closes completely and has to be restarted or does the video just stop playing?  Do you see a spinning circle?

From what I see in the pic there really isn't anything odd or different.  However, I did notice there is a scroll arrow so you may have additional subtitles there.

How many subtitles are in that file?  Samsung has an issue when you get close to 30 tracks total (video + audio + subtitles) in a file.  

Try remuxing the file and remove unneeded subtitles.

If remuxing doesn't work are you able to share the file (or a part of it that still has the issue) on a cloud share?  Then PM us the link.   

I'm running a newer version of the app so can give it a try here.

Crash = App is closed an the tv is out for looking another source.

I have 2 subtitles, one that I got by my own, and one downloaded by emby.

I'll share the video with you in PM since it's copyright cover.

FrostByte

I'm about 10 minutes through the show and it hasn't crashed yet.  It is direct streaming to convert the DTS track, but I expected that.   I'll go ahead and finish it and let you know

FrostByte
54 minutes ago, XDavidT said:

I reset my whole TV to change the Samsung store to US and get the emby from the store.
Later today I'll be install and let you know how it's going on.

The Samsung store may still be a couple versions back as they review the current version, but hopefully it's newer than .97 for your model

• 1 month later...

I'm not really sure what else to suggest here.  @FrostByte has tested the file and it plays fine, so we should be able to rule that out.

I would have suggested doing a SmartHub reset, or a full factory reset but you mention that you did that when you changed the region to do an install from the store.  Out of curiosity, did the store version work correctly?

At this point you have a known good file, the latest app (which no-one else has reported the issue) and a TV you have factory reset.

I don't think this would be a server issue, but make sure you are on the latest server version.  While it could be network related, I also don't think that is likely.

Is there anything unusual about your setup?  Are you using a https connection to the TV, reverse proxy or other types of setup?  Any ad-blockers such as pi-hole?

XDavidT
5 hours ago, SamES said:

I'm not really sure what else to suggest here.  @FrostByte has tested the file and it plays fine, so we should be able to rule that out.

I would have suggested doing a SmartHub reset, or a full factory reset but you mention that you did that when you changed the region to do an install from the store.  Out of curiosity, did the store version work correctly?

At this point you have a known good file, the latest app (which no-one else has reported the issue) and a TV you have factory reset.

I don't think this would be a server issue, but make sure you are on the latest server version.  While it could be network related, I also don't think that is likely.

Is there anything unusual about your setup?  Are you using a https connection to the TV, reverse proxy or other types of setup?  Any ad-blockers such as pi-hole?

I have pi-hole in my network, but nothing between my tv and the server, they in the same network so not should be any problem. and about version, I tried as suggested to download latest and burn over usb, I did so and test it also.

XDavidT
20 hours ago, SamES said:

Can you turn pi--hole off and do some testing to see if that resolves it?  

Just pause it for 5 minutes and try to play again. The app is just froze and pop me out.

Do you have a spare laptop or pc that you could do a fresh install of the current Emby server release? 

Use default settings, minimal setup, no plugins and just add a few files to a library to see if it makes a difference.

XDavidT
7 hours ago, SamES said:

Is it just one show that this occurs on, or lots of different shows/movies?

1. No, I don't have spare computer to test now.. Maybe next week..
2. It's only this specific show. This only.  Never happen before, and not happen with other movies/shows.

I would say that if it is just one specific show then it is an issue with the way that show has been encoded.  You could try Handbrake and just re-encode it.

I don't believe there is any issue with the app/server that is causing this.  If the app crashes, then I believe the file is probably causing the internal player to crash which is crashing the app.  We can't do anything to resolve that.

XDavidT
On 11/25/2021 at 11:31 PM, SamES said:

I would say that if it is just one specific show then it is an issue with the way that show has been encoded.  You could try Handbrake and just re-encode it.

I don't believe there is any issue with the app/server that is causing this.  If the app crashes, then I believe the file is probably causing the internal player to crash which is crashing the app.  We can't do anything to resolve that.

So maybe just convert all series ?

5 hours ago, XDavidT said:

So maybe just convert all series ?

No, I don't think that's necessary, this is not normally an issue people encounter.

I would just convert the one show you are having an issue with.

Do you mean it's all episode/series for one Show?  If that is the case, then it is possible that the whole show has been either badly encoded, or encoded in a non-standard way which causes problems for the internal player.

If you PM a copy of an episode and any external tracks I'll test it

Edited by SamES