How to Direct Play Recordings

cncb

cncb

Is there a reason mpegts cannot direct play since they apparently added ts seeking in ExoPlayer recently?

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They will direct play.  The question will be will you be able to seek them reliably.  We will try again in this round.

Just tried the new beta with Direct Play of mpegts and have had good results with seeking in MPEG2 recordings.  I hope this will stay in as an option (if it doesn't work well with other codecs).

• 9 months later...

Trying the DVR again after a while and the seeking in direct-played MPEG2 recordings is still working well.  However, when playing in-progress recordings it seems to automatically remux which causes long delays when resuming an in-progress recording (~60s before playback resumes) and seeking in general doesn't seem as fast.  Is it possible to direct play in-progress recordings?

18 hours ago, cncb said:

Trying the DVR again after a while and the seeking in direct-played MPEG2 recordings is still working well.  However, when playing in-progress recordings it seems to automatically remux which causes long delays when resuming an in-progress recording (~60s before playback resumes) and seeking in general doesn't seem as fast.  Is it possible to direct play in-progress recordings?

Sorry, not at this time.  We hope to improve this in the future though.

• 6 months later...
On 12/15/2020 at 9:20 AM, ebr said:

Sorry, not at this time.  We hope to improve this in the future though.

Is this any higher on the priority list?  It is the main issue preventing me from using the DVR.

7 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  There are improvements in the pipeline but nothing has made it out yet.

Sorry to beat this into the ground, but do you expect to address this before October?  I like to watch sports in progress and this is not a great experience with the current remuxing.  Thanks.

Edited by cncb

• 3 months later...
On 10/11/2021 at 12:43 PM, Luke said:

Hi @cncb, what are you asking for, specifically?

You told me in June (a few posts up) that you were working on it??  I am asking for Direct Play of recordings in progress, no remuxing.

7 hours ago, cncb said:

You told me in June (a few posts up) that you were working on it??  I am asking for Direct Play of recordings in progress, no remuxing.

Hi.  We indicated we were working on overall improvements to live TV in general.  Achieving actual direct play of a recording that is in progress is going to be quite tricky as the file is constantly changing.  Protocols like HLS are designed for that kind of thing (what we use when we remux) but direct file access is not.

We hope to improve the overall experience continually but I don't know that true direct playback of an in-progress recording will be achievable.  The end goal, is to make it all work in a seamless manner and that is what we are working on improving.  I cannot give you any specific dates at this point.

Thanks.

Thanks for the explanation.  I don't mind if it is not Direct Play, as long as resume and seeking are not so delayed and slow as before.