Tone Mapping for HDR

muzicman0

muzicman0

I have an Nvidia GTX 1660 (not super powerful, but I would think it is enough), but no matter which HW Accellerated decoder I choose, I either get a green screen, or tone mapping just doesn't work (still washed out).  Which decoder should I choose?  (Cuvid, DX11, or generic Nvidia)?  I also have a Intel UHD 630 if that is better for HDR decoding.

Painkiller8818
31 minutes ago, muzicman0 said:

I have an Nvidia GTX 1660 (not super powerful, but I would think it is enough), but no matter which HW Accellerated decoder I choose, I either get a green screen, or tone mapping just doesn't work (still washed out).  Which decoder should I choose?  (Cuvid, DX11, or generic Nvidia)?  I also have a Intel UHD 630 if that is better for HDR decoding.

Try to turn off HW Acceleration, save and then just enable it, but not advanced. Let Emby choose the best.

Edited by Painkiller8818

muzicman0

I did that.  I think I have been staring at the screen for so long that now I am unsure if it is working or not!  But hopefully that fixed it.

muzicman0

For sure still not working.  Here is a screen shot, the left is Emby playing back the UHD HDR version in a browser, and the right is VLC playing the 1080p version.

Screenshot 2021-10-13 153957.png

muzicman0
4 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi there, have you followed our hardware acceleration setup guide?

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001160148-hardware-acceleration-overview

Maybe I missed it, but I don't see much other than hardware and a minimum driver version, which I installed the latest driver to be safe.  Is there anything else in that guide that I should follow?

I would go through the whole thing, then if you're still having an issue, let's look at an example:

Thanks.

muzicman0

I read through the whole thing.  Also, while probably not an expert, I am very familiar with the nvidia NVENC and NVDEC since we support it for my job in our software.  Not that that means much, I know!

Happy to look at an example.  FFMPEG logs attached.  (EDIT: uploaded a more recent log, although I think it is the same - only a few minutes apart)

ffmpeg-transcode-9bc65ee8-2a92-4e38-b947-fff55a86f97b_1.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-9bc65ee8-2a92-4e38-b947-fff55a86f97b_1 (2).txt

Edited by muzicman0

Painkiller8818
10 hours ago, muzicman0 said:

For sure still not working.  Here is a screen shot, the left is Emby playing back the UHD HDR version in a browser, and the right is VLC playing the 1080p version.

Screenshot 2021-10-13 153957.png

Is your Left Picture (UHD HDR) direct play? As it is much darker so it seems to be played as HDR. And the tone mapping is only doing HDR->SDR Tonemapping.

If i watch a UHD HDR Movie with Emby, it is played direct (in my network) and it looks ok on mine.

I can't see anything washed out. I would say the left is a bit dark, maybe your TV isn't configured correct (Picture Settings)

Or is the Left Side HDR->SDR transcoding using tonemapping? Because on direct play no tone mapping is running by emby, it just gives the movie as it is 1:1

Just to understand whats exactly wrong here.

muzicman0

no, the left picture is a UHD HDR video being played in a browser, so it is being transcoded (and should be tone mapped).  The right is the same PC playing back a 1080p version which isn't HDR through VLC. They are a single screen shot from my PC.

I would have assumed that they should be roughly the same with tone mapping.  Maybe I have a fundamental mis-understanding of what Tone Mapping is.

59 minutes ago, muzicman0 said:

I would have assumed that they should be roughly the same with tone mapping.  Maybe I have a fundamental mis-understanding of what Tone Mapping is

Or, just slightly too high of expectations.  I'm not positive in your particular case as what you say is the tone-mapped image isn't what I would expect - to expect "roughly the same" from an on the fly tone-mapped version as a professionally mastered version done in a studio frame by frame with very expensive equipment and attention to detail is probably too much :).

Tone mapping should get to an acceptable quality but will not be the same as a properly mastered print.

In your case, I think maybe something isn't dialed in quite right though.

muzicman0

I can except that.  But that just means I will keep a 1080 copy around.  To me, the left is unwatchable.  Looks fine on my TV (but it is direct played, to a HDR capable Shield/TV), but I would never watch the one on the right.  just too dark.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Yes, your example doesn't look as good as I would expect.  Have you tried adjusting any of the settings around this?

muzicman0

you mean my monitor settings?  No, but it looks good with everything else.  It's my main PC monitor, so I don't want to mess with it.  Disk space isn't expensive, and I very rarely watch remotely, so if everything is working as expected, It's just not worth pursuing any further.

Plus, that was a 'screenshot', so that takes monitor settings out of the equation.  I could adjust to make it brighter I suppose, but I think that would probably wash everything else out.

muzicman0

where would I find those settings?  that would help a ton.  I'm in the advanced settings, but only see an option to turn it on or off, then hardware or software enabled.  Nothing else.  

Sorry about that but couldn't resist . :)

I re-read the thread to make sure I didn't miss anything.
Can you show us what your settings look like under Advanced in the Transcoding menu.  Take a couple of screen shots.

Also can you play this same video back again having it transcode for about a minute then stop and upload the ffmpeg log file generated?

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, cayars said:

Also can you play this same video back again having it transcode for about a minute then stop and upload the ffmpeg log file generated?

I believe that is already here.

• Thanks 1

I couldn't read that as it was to small.  Had to screen shot and put it in paint to double the size to try and make out what it says.

OK first test I'd like you to try.  Move Quicksync to the top position for H.265 decoding and also for H.264 Encoding.
How does that look compared to what you had before?

muzicman0

I used the forums ability to zoom in on the image, and it seemed fine, but either way, sorry it was hard to read!

Those changes made little to no difference.

Screenshot 2021-10-14 122951.png