no media will play with Android mobile app

justinrh
Go to solution Solved by justinrh,

justinrh

original post title:  no media will play with Android mobile app

Audio (MP3) or video (MP4) won't play with the mobile app.  Using the web browser on the tablet works fine.  The app always times out with:
     "Playback Error" - no compatible streams are currently available ...

Connected externally via HTTPS+domain.

embyserver.txt

rodainas

Have you tried disabling transcoding?

Try it before playing the file and see if it opens it. 

You are getting a lot of bitrate limit exceeded messages there.

justinrh

Nope.  That's not it.  I set the app to max out audio at 2Mbps and it still fails within a couple of seconds.  (Video takes time to fail, even when set to 8Mbps.)  Is there another way to disable transcoding?

justinrh

I uninstalled the regular app.

I launched the special APK to install, hit go, it never would finish installing, so I rebooted the tablet.  It appeared to have been installed.

I launched it, configured server and connected to test it.

Next day, woke up tablet, launched app, it crashed after trying to play audio file.

I rebooted, launched app, played audio file, got error, collected logs.

embyserver.txtandroid_c35ceefd-132f-40cd-82c8-60cac23b14ff.logandroid_157d31d7-746b-4cf3-b19f-dfdcfffc0ddc.logandroid_3c708b1a-2785-45f1-8305-eb79576fd162.log

2 hours ago, justinrh said:

I uninstalled the regular app.

I launched the special APK to install, hit go, it never would finish installing, so I rebooted the tablet.  It appeared to have been installed.

I launched it, configured server and connected to test it.

Next day, woke up tablet, launched app, it crashed after trying to play audio file.

I rebooted, launched app, played audio file, got error, collected logs.

embyserver.txt 106.32 kB · 0 downloads android_c35ceefd-132f-40cd-82c8-60cac23b14ff.log 19.37 kB · 0 downloads android_157d31d7-746b-4cf3-b19f-dfdcfffc0ddc.log 620 B · 0 downloads android_3c708b1a-2785-45f1-8305-eb79576fd162.log 929.41 kB · 0 downloads

SSL handshake error. Could be a problem with your certificate. This may help: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6659360/how-to-solve-javax-net-ssl-sslhandshakeexception-error

justinrh

Any details on what part of the handshake is having an issue?  The browser on the same device doesn't have an issue.

Now, if the handshake isn't working, how did I even connect and login?  Does that mean the app is not using encryption until I try to play media?

I can't use the solution in the SO post ...

31 minutes ago, justinrh said:

Any details on what part of the handshake is having an issue?  The browser on the same device doesn't have an issue.

Now, if the handshake isn't working, how did I even connect and login?  Does that mean the app is not using encryption until I try to play media?

I can't use the solution in the SO post ...

The user interface and audio/video players have their own networking layers, so that is why. It could be that one of them has a problem that requires investigation, although we obviously don't have a widespread ssl problem with the app.

I would try the solution in the second post of the link I sent you.

• Solution
justinrh

The problem is my reverse proxy was set for TLS 1.3 and this app couldn't handle it (I guess).  I set the proxy to allow TLS 1.2 and now it works.  (Investigation complete 😄

There is now way I could do on my tablet what the SO post said AFAIK.

Now, I wish Emby would stop playing if I close the app...  But I know you will tell me that is by design.  (I don't see how, but okay.)

Edited by justinrh

justinrh
19 hours ago, Luke said:

That's how all music apps work on android, right?

I don't know, but it if is then they all have bad behavior!  😄

FrostByte

Actually, it's not a bad thing and I use this a lot on both Android and Xbox.

The reason it keeps playing is so you can listen to music while using other apps.   When you Exit an app the app is still in the background running which allows the music to continue. 

If you want to stop playing music on Android then you need to either Stop the music before Exiting, or Stop the app.  Exit and Stop are two different things in Android

justinrh

Yes, that has been explained to me before.  I think it is a poor paradigm; it is illogical and unconventional.  I don't have to exit an app to use another app, so that Android logic if flawed.

16 hours ago, justinrh said:

Yes, that has been explained to me before.  I think it is a poor paradigm; it is illogical and unconventional.  I don't have to exit an app to use another app, so that Android logic if flawed.

Hi.  If you actually close the app (using the Android methods of doing that) then the music will stop.  Backing out of an app does not close it.  This is universal in the Android OS and by design.  If, instead, you really wish to shut the app down, there are methods in the OS to do that.

justinrh

I know I know I know ...  I've been schooled on it already  🙂

I do 'close' the app, via the app's X button, but the music doesn't stop.  The only other thing to do is go into the OS settings -> apps and force stop it.  That's ridiculous.

By 'backing out' I assume you mean put the app in the background in order to put focus on another app.  In that case I would expect the player to continue.

Edited by justinrh