Where'd the server option go?

MBSki

8 minutes ago, roaku said:

The user manually adds server(s) details through the client, and the client remembers the server(s) details the user added. There's no big mystery to solve.

This is correct.  So this does work when directly connected to a server as well.

GrimReaper
2 minutes ago, ebr said:

This is correct.  So this does work when directly connected to a server as well.

This is getting more and more convoluted. 

Could you kindly share which link/address would selecting "Change Server" option (if there were any) take us to when connected locally to IP:port in Web App? 

56 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Could you kindly share which link/address would selecting "Change Server" option (if there were any) take us to when connected locally to IP:port in Web App? 

It is a page built into the app.  Every time you log in to a server, each app saves that information.  Then, when you go to the "switch server" screen, it shows you a combination of the saved servers and any it can automatically find on the local network.  All of the apps - including the web app - should do this.

GrimReaper
Just now, ebr said:

when you go to the "switch server" screen

Where's that option? I have currently 3 instances running on same machine: 4.5.4, 4.6.4 and beta 4.7, all connected via local IP:port. None of them presents it. When was it available in Web App when connected locally? 

Just now, GrimReaper said:

Where's that option? I have currently 3 instances running on same machine: 4.5.4, 4.6.4 and beta 4.7, all connected via local IP:port. None of them presents it. When was it available in Web App when connected locally? 

It's never been in the local web app.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

MBSki
4 minutes ago, Luke said:

It's never been in the local web app.

I swear I've seen it there.

And based on what @ebr said ("any servers it can automatically find on the local network") shouldn't it be?

Just now, mbarylski said:

I swear I've seen it there.

If you "sign out"  you should end up there...

GrimReaper
Just now, ebr said:

If you "sign out"  you should end up there...

You don't. You end up on that server whose IP:port is in the address bar. 

1 minute ago, GrimReaper said:

You don't. You end up on that server whose IP:port is in the address bar. 

Okay.  I guess the local web app is a bit different then.

MBSki
1 minute ago, ebr said:

But shouldn't it work the same as the others? 

GrimReaper
Just now, ebr said:

That's what I've been saying the whole time - while everyone else was stating the opposite, so much so that I started to wonder whether I'm really that senile already? 

• Haha 1

MBSki
Just now, GrimReaper said:

That's what I've been saying the whole time - while everyone else was stating the opposite, so much so that I started to wonder whether I'm really that senile already? 

I honestly didn't know if I was remembering wrong or not. Apparently I was! Getting old sucks! 😂

• Agree 1

GrimReaper
14 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

But shouldn't it work the same as the others? 

IMHO it shouldn't, if I enter server IP:port I don't want to be presented with Select Server screen, as I explicitly stated which server I wanna connect to. Other local servers are easily reachable through Bookmarks. Also direct. 

MBSki
3 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

IMHO it shouldn't, if I enter server IP:port I don't want to be presented with Select Server screen, as I explicitly stated which server I wanna connect to. Other local servers are easily reachable through Bookmarks. Also direct. 

It doesn't have to be set up to go to the server screen on sign out. But a "Change Server" option in settings would be nice.

GrimReaper
6 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

It doesn't have to be set up to go to the server screen on sign out. But a "Change Server" option in settings would be nice.

That would preclude servers sniffing your network (and/or blasting presence) and being "aware" of each other , as Web App ain't app "per se" as Theater or other client apps are, so it could "remember" - server would need to remember that and AFAIK no server does. 

Happy2Play

The localhost/direct IP web client has no Connect capabilities so there is no change server options.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Agree 1

MBSki
7 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

The localhost/direct IP web client has no Connect capabilities so there is no change server options.

Yes, but...why can't it scan the network like ebr suggested?

Happy2Play

To me it is self explanatory it is a client that is only connected to installed server.  All other clients can connect to any server. 

So I guess Luke would have to take the web client out of the server and make it a independent client. 

3 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

To me it is self explanatory it is a client that is only connected to installed server.  All other clients can connect to any server. 

So I guess Luke would have to take the web client out of the server and make it a independent client. 

Which is what the online web app is.

• Agree 1

MBSki

Personally I prefer all apps to act the same, but I can change. I'll just switch to using the online web app.

On 10/14/2021 at 2:25 PM, Luke said:

Which is what the online web app is.

@Luke since the online version does do this, is there any reason why that couldn't be part of the local server web client as well?