Android TV Screen Saver settings

cryhavoc

cryhavoc

sorry to bring up the dead, but what about the screensaver for music--2019 shield pro?  I see a slightly darkened mostly static screen, but no way to change the settings.  imo, the slightly darkened screen is not active enough for oled screens.

Please advise.  I see no way to configure the screensaver.  What am I missing?

Thank you.

note:  I posted here because one of the tags is the shield.  if wrong, my apologies.

Hi.  The latest version of the Android TV app will not have what you would call a "screen saver" during music playback anymore.  It will transition to a simpler screen but album art and other information will still be shown.

However, if you back out of that screen and then just allow the music to play, I believe the normal Android screen saver will be allowed to kick in.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi ebr, I tested backing out of the playback screen a few levels and unfortunately on each one the screensaver did not kick in after the wait time. No luck all the way to the Android TV home screen. When music playback has been stopped, the screensaver will then launch on both the home screen again and within the idle Emby app. So it seems the actual music playback prevents it.

It is possible to navigate into the Android TV settings and manually start the screensaver after starting music playback, but that's kind of a clunky workaround (wish there was a quicker way to start the Android TV screensaver too, though).

CBers

Just tested this. 

I started playing music, backed out to the app Home Screen and 5 minutes later, my Shield's screensaver started. 

Also does it if I exit the app via the Exit Now option. 

Edited by CBers
  • Like 1

FrostByte

This is NOT working for me either on 2019 Shield

I've tried from the app Home Screen and Google Home Screen and in neither place does the SS kick in with music playing.  

However, if I stop music and Exit the app the SS does kick in.

To make matters worse the Shield is going to sleep on me after 20 minutes of music playback in Now Playing. 

Settings_20211029_081623.png.7c3f59b452d6916744b846b8212c5932.png

Edited by FrostByte

1 hour ago, FrostByte said:

To make matters worse the Shield is going to sleep on me after 20 minutes of music playback in Now Playing. 

I'll have to test this but I don't see how the machine would go to sleep without the screen saver starting first - unless the time for sleep was less than the SS.

FrostByte

No, Sleep is at 20 and I've tried SS at 15 and 5 mins so its always been set at a lesser time. 

The only other thing I could think of is the Shield itself is crashing while playing music.  Music stops, Shield turns off, then my TV Turns off.  

FrostByte

I've turned off Sleep and my Shield has stayed up for a couple hours now while playing music.  As mentioned before though I've never seen my Shield shut down while playing music with ET so not sure what it is.

Still no screensaver though.  Doesn't matter what screen I'm sitting at it doesn't show up unless I go into settings and start it manually.

• Shield 2019 pro
  • direct file access in case that matters

Other than that I can't see why it works for some and not for others

• Like 1

FrostByte

Turning off file access made no difference as the SS still doesn't start automatically.

Sent logs at 2304 EDT user Rick

Steps done

1. Started playback of an album
  2. returned to app HS
  3. waited 8-10 mins
  4. sent log

SS was set to 5 min, sleep turned off.

FrostByte

Just to be clear, the issue of the Shield going to sleep while playing music is happening to me only with ATV. 

However, the SS not kicking in with music playing is both ET and ATV on my Shield 2019 pro. 

I've removed VLC and it didn't make a difference.  I don't have a whole lot there that I can think would cause the issue

1293972840_AndroidTVHome_20211030_092802.png.ac66ed9f1a4d81fcb4b8829441bddd3b.png

When I turn off music and exit app then the SS kicks in no problem after 5 mins.  Btw: Sleep turned to Never to stop ATV from sleeping while playing music.

Settings_20211030_094006.png.7abb50377730c023793574fdaabb98c3.png

FrostByte
On 10/29/2021 at 4:54 AM, Vienna said:

Hi ebr, I tested backing out of the playback screen a few levels and unfortunately on each one the screensaver did not kick in after the wait time. No luck all the way to the Android TV home screen. When music playback has been stopped, the screensaver will then launch on both the home screen again and within the idle Emby app. So it seems the actual music playback prevents it.

It is possible to navigate into the Android TV settings and manually start the screensaver after starting music playback, but that's kind of a clunky workaround (wish there was a quicker way to start the Android TV screensaver too, though).

@Vienna which model Shield do you have?

15 hours ago, FrostByte said:

Funny thing is that the screensaver works with video with the option set.  Just not with music.

Because music plays in the background but video does not.

22 hours ago, Spaceboy said:

seeing the same on a 2019 shield. screen saver is not starting when music is playing

That doesn't surprise me.  What surprises me is how the device could go to sleep when the SS isn't even kicking in.

FrostByte
6 hours ago, ebr said:

That doesn't surprise me.  What surprises me is how the device could go to sleep when the SS isn't even kicking in.

I sent you a log earlier today before noon EDT user Rick.  Sorry, forgot the time, but I can redo it if needed.

I had sleep turned off for two days and I never had a problem playing audio all day long.  Then today I turned it back on and my Shield is turning off again.  If it's not the sleep then it's a coincidence 

The only other thing I can think is if it's not going to sleep then maybe it's crashing during playback and then the Shield is shutting itself off after crashing.

Best I can determine at this point it is either Exoplayer or the system itself preventing the screen saver during audio playback.

When you back out of our audio player interface, then we have released the request to keep the screen active.  There is nowhere in our app that this is being done at that point.

I just tested though and the screen saver will not kick in as long as the audio is playing.  But, as soon as I stop the audio - even without changing the screen (using the "stop" button on my Android TV remote control) the screen saver then kicks in after the time-out.

I also tested setting my device sleep time to 30 minutes and played audio for over 30 minutes and the TV did not sleep.

FrostByte
6 minutes ago, ebr said:

I also tested setting my device sleep time to 30 minutes and played audio for over 30 minutes and the TV did not sleep.

If it's not sleeping then maybe Exoplayer is crashing and then the Shield immediately goes to sleep?  I don't know what else could be happening

Were you able to get anything from my last log submission on Sunday morning EDT?  That was immediately after it happening. 

What happened during log

• Playing music playlist from NP screen
  • Music all of a sudden stops
  • Shield turns off
  • I turned Shield back on and then sent log

CBers
1 hour ago, ebr said:

I just tested though and the screen saver will not kick in as long as the audio is playing.  But, as soon as I stop the audio - even without changing the screen (using the "stop" button on my Android TV remote control) the screen saver then kicks in after the time-out.

This must be specific to the 2019 Shield, as I do not have any issues with music and the SS starting on either my 2015 or 2017 Shield. 

Is there anything different in the code when it comes to identifying the model, or other devices? 

32 minutes ago, CBers said:

Is there anything different in the code when it comes to identifying the model, or other devices? 

No, as I said above, if you move off of the audio player screen, there is no code at all in our app that is keeping the screen saver from engaging.

32 minutes ago, CBers said:

This must be specific to the 2019 Shield, as I do not have any issues with music and the SS starting on either my 2015 or 2017 Shield

My testing today was on a Sony Android TV.

1 hour ago, FrostByte said:

Were you able to get anything from my last log submission on Sunday morning EDT

Unfortunately, no.  The screen saver stuff is all handled by Android and there isn't anything in our logging to give us any clues.

• Thanks 1

FrostByte
10 minutes ago, ebr said:

Unfortunately, no.  The screen saver stuff is all handled by Android and there isn't anything in our logging to give us any clues.

Ok, thanks.  I'll just turn off SS and sleep.  Don't really need them anyway.