Question about my server network settings

justinrh

justinrh

My Android tablet is connected to the guest wifi, so it is on a diff subnet (192.168.101) from the server (192.168.1).  The server network settings have the local nets restricted to the server's subnet.

Launch the app, it finds my Emby server.  I poke the button - get: "Connection Failure" unable to connect to the server ...

If I 'add server' and point it to my external domain, it connects and works.

What should I make of the local connection situation?

embyserver.txt

The server network settings have the local nets restricted to the server's subnet.

Hi, try removing the restrictions that you've added on the server and see if that helps. Thanks.

justinrh

That does allow me to connect, but what I find strange is that though the server was found, it wouldn't let me connect.  If I couldn't connect because of my network settings, should the server even have been found?

What makes this more strange is that I didn't expect my tablet to find the server at all since guest wifi is blocked from being able to connect to the LAN ("intranet").

justinrh

Luke, can you expound on this?  You changed the post title to "Question about my server network settings" (please stop doing that!).  This implies I have a network setting that caused this.

1) What network setting allows bypass the router rules?

2) Does this mean that people on the Internet call also discover my Emby server?

1) What network setting allows bypass the router rules?

In Emby Server? Nothing if it's stopped at the router level.

2) Does this mean that people on the Internet call also discover my Emby server?

The local server discovery uses a different protocol so that's why it was still able to find it.