HEVC transconding on a browser

Aehtna

Hey,

Don't know if i'm missing something but while watching a Video 1080p HEVC on A Sony Android TV, on a MiBox or on mobile i see a movie without an issue, when i try to check the same movie on a web browser (tried Chrome and Edge) the movie stops all the time and checking for stats throws this info:

image.png.7e3b71de8252c4ae315490c2ab7ed0d9.png

Can anything be done to aliviate the issue on a web browser or i'm really forgetting something?

Forgot to say it's a Synology DS418j with DSM 7.0-41890 using the latest emby.

Thanks

Edited by Aehtna

Chrome/Edge/Firefox do not support HEVC, it's extremely annoying.

You can install an old version of HEVC extension for Windows (the newer versions do not work, so once installed DO NOT UPDATE). You can download the older versions from here:

https://www.free-codecs.com/hevc_video_extension_download.htm

I've found the 1.0.31823 works for me. You may need to reboot after installing.

Happy2Play

Yes this is a browser issue not a Emby issue as we are only using the capabilities of the browser itself and every browser has different capabilities.

Thank you both. 

Understandable, but now after i installed the codec kaj said, it throws the following error while putting the NAS CPU to 99%, it's relatable to that?

image.png.56b7fb3226497a4640f605b2ef7fb4b2.png

@Aehtna I've never seen that error message before, unless there was a problem with your paths, and installing the codec extension would never alter anything there. Are you using Edge or Chrome? when I said reboot, I meant your Windows machine, not your Synology.

55 minutes ago, Aehtna said:

Thank you both. 

Understandable, but now after i installed the codec kaj said, it throws the following error while putting the NAS CPU to 99%, it's relatable to that?

image.png.56b7fb3226497a4640f605b2ef7fb4b2.png

Hi there, can we please look at an example?

Thanks.

7 hours ago, Aehtna said:

Sure, after a goodnight sleep now sometimes appears that error and sometimes not, still i think it's those two that asked maybe if it's any help

https://paste2.org/yGevJjEe

https://paste2.org/ZEtYnPFX

Thanks

Ok well this is an easy one. Your server just can't transcode it quickly enough to be playable.

If your hardware supports hardware acceleration then with emby premiere that may help. You could also check out our convert media feature to convert it to a more streaming friendly format ahead of time.

3 hours ago, Luke said:

Ok well this is an easy one. Your server just can't transcode it quickly enough to be playable.

If your hardware supports hardware acceleration then with emby premiere that may help. You could also check out our convert media feature to convert it to a more streaming friendly format ahead of time.

Well, i kinda guessed it was something like that and the option hardware acceleration was already "Yes", what boggled my mind was watching in any device it was and it is not an issue, but watching on the desktop it's a "pain"..

My only solution as it seems is to use the convert, but having a lot of hevc the space used by a single movie gonna increase a lot, but if it as to be it is.

GrimReaper
1 minute ago, Aehtna said:

My only solution as it seems is to use the convert

Use Emby Theatre, that'll likely allow you to DirectPlay those. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Use Emby Theatre, that'll likely allow you to DirectPlay those. 

Well...
That works ;) Thanks!

• Like 1

olympus1
On 10/12/2021 at 8:44 PM, Aehtna said:

Well, i kinda guessed it was something like that and the option hardware acceleration was already "Yes", what boggled my mind was watching in any device it was and it is not an issue, but watching on the desktop it's a "pain"..

My only solution as it seems is to use the convert, but having a lot of hevc the space used by a single movie gonna increase a lot, but if it as to be it is.

You can use chromium, it's the only browser that really supports reliably hevc in windows.

It has built-in hevc support, supports both software and hardware hevc decoding.

Edge with microsoft's hevc codec mentioned before supports only hardware decoding and not all hevc profiles.

It's not a solution for all your hevc videos.

Chromium can run in portable mode and it's very easy to update with chrlauncher.

https://chromium.woolyss.com/

https://chromium.woolyss.com/f/chrlauncher-win64-stable-ungoogled.zip

Make sure you choose to download the Marmaduke build because it's the build with hevc support.

Also make sure to enable the hevc flag on it.

chrome://flags/#enable-clear-hevc-for-testing

Edited by olympus1
  • Thanks 4

GrimReaper

Hey up, @olympus1, just wanted to say thanks for the tip. 

Running Marmaduke's portable and both 8 and 10-bit HEVCs play with no issue whatsoever. 

Btw, no such flag any more, I reckon it's been inbuilt, working right out of the box. 

You've taken a lot of strain off my server as, due to specific circumstances, majority of my users are browser-based and distributing this resulted in considerable reduction in transcoding sessions, if not completely eliminating them. 

Thanks again.

Cheers

Happy2Play

This probably explains a lot.

8 hours ago, visproduction said:

For 3rd party direct playback, the initial reason HEVC was not supported online, was due to a licensing fee of $0.25 per browser installation.  I believe Safari and Edge paid this and Edge has since dropped support.  I don't think the licensing fee issue has changed.  Does someone know?  I suppose you can find out online.  Initially, the extra cost caused browser to drop support. 

• Like 1

GrimReaper
7 minutes ago, kaj said:

@olympus1 Big thanks from me too, working great for direct play and HEVC.

@GrimReaper i do have that flag and have enabled it:
image.png.2b9fbaa2a62895e7a6c457615adf0dd3.png

Well, I don't, 92.0.4515.159. 

Screenshot 2021-10-17 030908.png

3 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Well, I don't, 92.0.4515.159. 

I'm on a later version:

image.png.630e0e4a388a53696c254c657b2fc94d.png

Edit: looks like you are on the portable 32-but version, which only seems to be v.92

Edited by kaj

GrimReaper
7 hours ago, kaj said:

Edit: looks like you are on the portable 32-but version, which only seems to be v.92

Yep. 

8 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

Running Marmaduke's portable

Anyway, we're getting OT, it's working for the interned purpose, thanks again all. 

Cheers 

• Like 1