MovieDB ignoring backdrops with text

crusher11

crusher11

Just saw the update pop up on my server. What does this actually mean in practice? Will all backdrops with text be completely hidden? Or will it just not select one by default? What if there are no text-free backdrops? 

crusher11

I'm not asking what you should do, I'm asking how it currently works.

Because yes, they're really thumbs. But having them show up in backdrops at least means I can download them and add them as thumbs, rather than not having that option at all. Plus, sometimes there's only a text-background option and I'd rather have that than no background at all.

As of the update, it now filters them out of backdrops, but we can do another update to have them show up as downloadable thumbs.

• Thanks 1

GrimReaper

Actually, that's all a bit mish-mash, with TMDB throwing a wrench there with "languaged" backdrops, as fanart should have no text (as that makes it a landscape):

1.10 fanart

Used in: Movie artwork Movie sets artwork Music- Artists artwork Music Video artwork TV-Show artwork

They are used as full screen displays.

Fanart has no text on the image. (fanart with text is known as landscape. See below)

Image specifications
Name fanart
Type jpg or png
Resolution 1920w x 1080h

3840w x 2160h

Aspect Ratio 16:9
Transparent background No

1.13 landscape

Used in: Movie artwork Movie sets artwork Music- Artists artwork Music Video artwork TV-Show artwork

Landscape images are fanart with text. They are used in certain page layouts for browsing. If the Landscape image is not available, skins can make passable replacements by using fanart and overlaying the clearlogo.

Image specifications
Name landscape
Type jpg
Resolution 1000w x 562h
Aspect Ratio 16:9
Transparent background No

IMHO backdrops should always be text-less (and I prefer none rather then texted when not available), but since they are offered as high-res texted backdrops, means should be provided to accommodate as such. Including them as thumbs makes sense, as they can be re-applied as backdrops if one chooses so. 

• Like 1

GrimReaper
18 minutes ago, Luke said:

Right that's fine, we can do that too. It just means the automated downloading will get them too.

If you're referring to your own suggestion above (while I was just supporting it) to include them as thumbs, yes, IMHO that's the most sensible approach, as they have languaged-text on them hence ideal for a thumb (as landscape relatively low resolution spec does imply that they are to be used as such, and not as a fullscreen fanart replacement).

Additionaly, library Image Fetcher has already a Minimum backdrop width setting - introduce Maximum thumb width field, as well, hence preventing auto-download of those hi-res images while retaining possibility to DL them if one opts for such. 

Happy2Play
1 hour ago, Luke said:

As of the update, it now filters them out of backdrops,

Is this only during automatic download as they still appear in manual search.

They are the same, although maybe we should keep them and just make sure the ones without text are sorted at the top.

That will save people from wondering why they're not getting any in some situations 

Happy2Play
16 minutes ago, Luke said:

They are the same, although maybe we should keep them and just make sure the ones without text are sorted at the top.

That will save people from wondering why they're not getting any in some situations 

Sort of confused as to what this update did, lets take "The Father" for example, I see null, English, French,  Portuguese, and Spanish; Castilian backdrop via Edit Images-backdrops.

image.thumb.png.29e7f6f971009f0cf964bfeb80a93686.png

10 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Sort of confused as to what this update did, lets take "The Father" for example, I see null, English, French,  Portuguese, and Spanish; Castilian backdrop via Edit Images-backdrops.

image.thumb.png.29e7f6f971009f0cf964bfeb80a93686.png

I think I missed it for movies, but try it for a series.

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, Luke said:

I think I missed it for movies, but try it for a series.

Okay, tested on "Foundation" and only got null backdrops.

Don't know if they are really needed as backdrops, but maybe display when "All Language" is selected if possible. 

crusher11
On 10/12/2021 at 3:09 AM, Happy2Play said:

Okay, tested on "Foundation" and only got null backdrops.

Don't know if they are really needed as backdrops, but maybe display when "All Language" is selected if possible. 

I don't overly care if they show up as backdrops or as thumbs, but they had damn well better not be completely hidden. 

Happy2Play

Currently with the fix they will be until Luke can code them into Thumbs.  Right now it only applies to TV Shows/Series.

I know I get tired of deleting then as they don't belong as Backdrops at all.

• 2 weeks later...
crusher11

They're better than nothing, and I like to be able to grab them to use as Thumbs if none of those are available.

Has anything been changed here? If not, is there a way to roll back the MovieDb plugin? I'm currently avoiding restarting the server, but I also want to update to the new beta, which I obviously can't do without restarting.

crusher11

I notice there's now a 1.5.1, but the revision history has the same "ignore backdrops with text" description as 1.5.0. What's changed? Can I safely reboot my server yet?

crusher11

How can it have changed in 1.5.1 if it changed in 1.5.0?

I don't wish to try anything that will result in backdrops with text being completely inaccessible.

Happy2Play
6 hours ago, crusher11 said:

How can it have changed in 1.5.1 if it changed in 1.5.0?

I don't wish to try anything that will result in backdrops with text being completely inaccessible.

It changed by removing these images from Movies also.  So now it applies to both Movies and TV.

Now hopefully in another update they will be available via Thumbs.

crusher11

So it got worse. Good to know.

Put them back. As backdrops, as thumbs, I don't care, but stop hiding them completely.

Happy2Play

Sorry but we don't want Text on Backdrops, personally this is defect of TMDB.  I would delete them off TMDB if I could.

They only have one purpose saving as Thumbs.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Agree 2

crusher11

At least if they show up in Backdrops, I can download them and use them as thumbs though. If they're just removed, I don't have that option without loading up TMDB and finding the movie manually, and that's a waste of time for 99% of movies anyway. Having them there in the Emby image editor is much quicker and easier. I don't care where they're filed, I just want the option available.

And if I have to choose between a backdrop with text and no backdrop at all, I'd rather have one with text.

crusher11

Failing that, can I downgrade the plugin? I've been holding off on rebooting my server for ages now, because I don't want the update to install.