EmbyCon - next up and in progress

rodainas

rodainas

Hi @TeamB , I have a question:

Its possible for you to add on the "Next Up" lists, a partially played first episode of any given tvshow and partially played special independently if it has displayseason displayepisode? (I ask because it will be more similar to what emby shows on the "Continue Watching" home section).

Images to clear things up:

"Continue Watching" on emby web client:

The items in question here are:

Loki S1 E1 = partially played and first episode from tv show

Attack on Titan Special = partially played special with no displayseason displayepisode tag

embyweb.PNG

The "Next Up" List from embycon:

The workaround to have them show up on my kodi homescreen was adding the "In Progress Episodes" list as a widget, but then I have any other partially played item there that is not a first episode or a special like a real next up episode, so it can be redundant/repetitive.

embycon2.PNG

Edited by rodainas

TeamB
12 hours ago, rodainas said:

Its possible for you to add on the "Next Up" lists, a partially played first episode of any given tvshow and partially played special independently if it has displayseason displayepisode? (I ask because it will be more similar to what emby shows on the "Continue Watching" home section).

Images to clear things up:

"Continue Watching" on emby web client:

The items in question here are:

Loki S1 E1 = partially played and first episode from tv show

Attack on Titan Special = partially played special with no displayseason displayepisode tag

embyweb.PNG

The "Next Up" List from embycon:

The workaround to have them show up on my kodi homescreen was adding the "In Progress Episodes" list as a widget, but then I have any other partially played item there that is not a first episode or a special like a real next up episode, so it can be redundant/repetitive.

embycon2.PNG

It looks like the Emby Web client has switch to using a brand new API endpoint:

/emby/Users/{user_id}/Items/Resume

EmbyCon does not use this at all.

I think this all goes back to this discussion here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/93221-4609-merging-continue-watching-next-up/

There was a lot of back and forward with that topic, I asked in the thread if this meant clients would need to change but got no response.

The current way it works in EmbyCon is the way it always has, I am not sure I want to change it to be honest as change usually causes more problems than it is worth and I am used to it the way it is now.

I may add a custom node creation tool to allow people to add their own filtering/sorting etc for custom widgets, I will look into this and see if this sort of thing would help in this situation. Being able to create you own widget query to the server specifying your own criteria might solve this for uses with specific needs.

• Thanks 1

rodainas
1 hour ago, TeamB said:

It looks like the Emby Web client has switch to using a brand new API endpoint:

/emby/Users/{user_id}/Items/Resume

EmbyCon does not use this at all.

I think this all goes back to this discussion here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/93221-4609-merging-continue-watching-next-up/

There was a lot of back and forward with that topic, I asked in the thread if this meant clients would need to change but got no response.

The current way it works in EmbyCon is the way it always has, I am not sure I want to change it to be honest as change usually causes more problems than it is worth and I am used to it the way it is now.

I may add a custom node creation tool to allow people to add their own filtering/sorting etc for custom widgets, I will look into this and see if this sort of thing would help in this situation. Being able to create you own widget query to the server specifying your own criteria might solve this for uses with specific needs.

Thank you for the clear explanation, really appreciate it.

• 3 months later...
On 6/26/2021 at 4:39 PM, rodainas said:

I think it is better the way it already is. It is a lot better to have separate In Progress and Next Up and not mix them up. It is cleaner and more useful.

There is one thing missing is an In Progress Media for Movies and TV Episodes combined. Can I make this myself?

rodainas
3 hours ago, Zodler said:

I think it is better the way it already is. It is a lot better to have separate In Progress and Next Up and not mix them up. It is cleaner and more useful.

There is one thing missing is an In Progress Media for Movies and TV Episodes combined. Can I make this myself?

Sure, but they are not exactly separate, the Next Up list as it is already indicates if the episode on that list is partially played (as in progress), if you partially play any episode that is already on that list, kodi will give you an in progress tag indicator and kodi will ask if you want to resume or start from 0, so basically the  Next Up works as in progress too for every episode except those 2 scenarios: First Episode of a Series or a Special episodes. The idea was from a widget point of view having the option to use less helps with low performance devices as firestick for example.

But I understand the reason TeamB didnt want to change it.

As far as I know Kodi wont allow mixing on the same list episodes and movies.

TeamB
9 minutes ago, rodainas said:

As far as I know Kodi wont allow mixing on the same list episodes and movies.

yes this, Kodi does not really have any concept of mixed types in the same list, it is designed to show a list of items of a particular type.

But it does have it. I have used it for many years. I have Emby For Kodi Next Gen and sync with the Kodi Library. There is a node called In Progress Media that shows both movies and tv episodes in progress. I don't know it comes with what, when I install Titan skin it is available. Maybe it is in skin helper addon.

TeamB

I have added the ability to the custom node creator in EmbyCon to have multiple types. you can set up a custom note that has Movies, Episodes in progress.

This is in the latest beta for both Krypton (18) and Matrix (19)

Edited by TeamB
  • Like 1

Thank you. I just tested it and it works. It's so essential.

In the Edit Node I have to set Recursive to true to see the results. Otherwise it shows all the items. Why is that and what is the use case to set Recursive to false?

Also at the bottom there are 3 separate lines, what they do? You can use only one for Kodi Media Type and I set it to tvshows and couldn't clear it but the node still works and shows the In progress episodes and movies.

TeamB
3 hours ago, Zodler said:

Thank you. I just tested it and it works. It's so essential.

One persons essential is another persons meh 😴

4 hours ago, Zodler said:

In the Edit Node I have to set Recursive to true to see the results. Otherwise it shows all the items. Why is that and what is the use case to set Recursive to false?

The custom node builds an emby query, check the swager api for the exact reference but recursive just means search all the things through all child paths, if no parent is set it searches every path for items.

4 hours ago, Zodler said:

Also at the bottom there are 3 separate lines, what they do? You can use only one for Kodi Media Type and I set it to tvshows and couldn't clear it but the node still works and shows the In progress episodes and movies.

I mentioned this before, kodi does not have a concept of mixed items, setting the type lets the skin and view know what sort of items to display as each item type in kodi has slightly different listitem values, i.e a movie does not have season info. This lets the skin and view know how to display items correctly.

14 hours ago, TeamB said:

One persons essential is another persons meh 😴

Seriously? In Progress is a no-brainer. Every streaming app Disney, Netflix..... shows the stuff you are currently watching. So it's nothing extraordinary. It is common sense. It is as basic as it gets.