Problems with some video files (emby wants to transcode)

panchamolo

panchamolo

So I just switched from Kodi to emby and performed some final tests, before I wanted to uninstall Kodi. During my tests, I noticed playback issues on some older Anime that I have. They had problems loading and needed to buffer all the time. When I enabled the statistics for nerds, I was able to see what was causing my problem.

The working Anime ran as "Direct Play" with "HTTP" as stream type and the other one as "Transcode" with the stream type set to "HLS". The reason for transcoding is a not supported video profile. I'm running the emby server on a Synology DS216play, which can not handle the transcoding.

When I'm using the VLC app on my Shield, I can play the file just fine. Also when I'm using Infuse on my iPad, which is connected to my emby server, it runs fine too. For me this means that it's not a problem with the hardware itself. I don't know why emby wants to transcode it? Is there an option to transcode it directly on my Shield, or anything else I can do? Do I even need to transcode it? It's a 720p file. I also compared both files in VLC and both seem to use H264, MPEG-4 AVC.

Edited by panchamolo

Hi.  Are the items with the issue h264 Hi10?  If so, the next version of the app should allow them to direct play on the Shield (but only that device).

panchamolo

Thanks for your fast reply. 🙂 Could be but I'm not too familiar with codecs. 😄 I attached the VLC codec information. At least it says it says 10-bit.

hunter.JPG

7 minutes ago, panchamolo said:

Is there a release date for the next version? 🙈

Hopefully soon but it is up to Google.  Sometimes they are relatively quick.  Other times, very slow.

panchamolo

Ah so the new version is already finished. 🙂 I can give you a feedback then. Hope it works because I want to buy another Shield for my living room. Otherwise I would have to buy an Apple TV, but I like the Shield more because of the DTS passthrough.

Emby is really good I have to say. Had some problems with stutter in some 4k HDR movies when using VLC or Kodi, but no issues with emby so far.