Sort By Bitrate/HDR

storelogan

storelogan

The forum says to search for another request the same as yours, but I'm not seeing an option to search by keyword on the forums? Am I missing something? 

Either way, I really think there should be the ability to sort by bit-rate. I primarily use emby thru an Nvidia shield and messing with filters and whatnot is a hassle. This was a feature on Plex that I really enjoyed. If I felt like watching a HD movie, it was simple to search thru them. With emby, the easiest solution that I'm seeing is creating a new library specifically for 4k/HDR content, but then I need to download 1080P and 4k versions or drastically increase my storage usage and have duplicate 4k copies in different folders as I want all my movies in a single folder, so I can browse them all regardless of quality/genre, etc. 

• Like 1

Hi, we don't have an HDR filter but we can add that. We do already have HD filters though. Why do you think it is a hassle?

storelogan

Hi Luke, 

The filter tab is a little glitchy on the Shield/Android. The "clear all filters" button doesn't work, and I have to manually uncheck everything after enabling certain filters. It would be nice to have bit rate and HDR in the "sort by" dropdown, as that is quicker to use on the Shield than the filter options are. 

It would also be nice to be-able to choose what options are shown on the "sort-by tab", being able to remove some of the options (date released, premier date, etc.) would make it quicker to select the options that I want to sort by, that or having the ability to re-arrange the order in which the sort-by options are displayed would work as well (as well as adding bit-rate).

These are not a huge issues by any means, but it would be a quality of life improvement while using a shield remote. This is the only (minor) inconvenience I noticed after switching from Plex. 

I bought the life-time license w/ Emby, and am hoping this will be incorporated at some point in the future. So far I think it's a great product with helpful & active support. 

Painkiller8818

i use TAGS to do this right now. All my 4K movies are tagged with 4k, hdr10, dolbyvision etc. so i can use them to filter for them. Not really in the filters selection but in the TAGS Tab

grafik.thumb.png.9a0635777f81cd1016a16359bd7b94b1.png

Maybe not exactly a filter like you want, but it does the same for me and could be an idea for you :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, storelogan said:

The "clear all filters" button doesn't work, and I have to manually uncheck everything after enabling certain filters

Hi.  We are not aware of this issue.  Can you please provide details in a new post in the Android TV forum?

Thanks.

MBSki
7 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  We are not aware of this issue.  Can you please provide details in a new post in the Android TV forum?

Thanks.

I think the issue is that it only clears the items below "clear all filters" and none of the items above. I thought that was by design. Is it supposed to clear the items above?

Just now, mbarylski said:

I think the issue is that it only clears the items below "clear all filters" and none of the items above. I thought that was by design. Is it supposed to clear the items above?

That is by design and is why the button is where it is (next to the label for those options).  I suppose we could make it zero the others out too...

• Thanks 1

storelogan

I wasn't aware of the Tag options, I'm going to look into this as it may be a decent alternative, although it seems to be high maintenance. 

Maybe 50/300 of my movies are high bit-rate, being able to "sort-by" (not filter) bit-rate would be the ideal scenario for me using an Nvidia Shield. Then if I were in the mood to watch a visually pleasing movie, I could sort by that and scroll down until I hit the non HD stuff. 

I will go test the clear filter option again and see if it behaves as stated above. 

storelogan
16 hours ago, Painkiller8818 said:

i use TAGS to do this right now. All my 4K movies are tagged with 4k, hdr10, dolbyvision etc. so i can use them to filter for them. Not really in the filters selection but in the TAGS Tab

grafik.thumb.png.9a0635777f81cd1016a16359bd7b94b1.png

Maybe not exactly a filter like you want, but it does the same for me and could be an idea for you :)

How do you get the Tags tab to appear at the top? I added some Tags and I'm not seeing it.

Edit: Got it, I wasn't saving the changes, lol. 

Edited by storelogan

Painkiller8818
2 minutes ago, storelogan said:

How do you get the Tags tab to appear at the top? I added some Tags and I'm not seeing it. 

They are there automatically this is a screenshot of the browser and if you navigate into your movies Library, there should appear these tabs on top

• Agree 1

storelogan
1 minute ago, Painkiller8818 said:

They are there automatically this is a screenshot of the browser and if you navigate into your movies Library, there should appear these tabs on top

Got it, thanks. Do you know if there is a way to re-arrange the tabs at the top? (ie. move the filter tab all the way to the left)

Painkiller8818
1 minute ago, storelogan said:

Got it, thanks. Do you know if there is a way to re-arrange the tabs at the top? (ie. move the filter tab all the way to the left)

no i haven't found such an option

storelogan
13 minutes ago, Painkiller8818 said:

no i haven't found such an option

Ahhh, the Tag options show under the Filter Tab on Android anyway, so it wouldn't matter if I could re-organize them.

I wish the Tags showed on the main-screen on Android, like they do on the web-app. 

13 hours ago, storelogan said:

I wish the Tags showed on the main-screen on Android, like they do on the web-app

They will in a future release.

I have numerous 4K movies placed in their own library apart from my standard HD/SD movies.    I'd like to tag them by HDR, SDR etc.   Easy their a fast way to identify and tag them?  I'd hate to have to go through these 1 by 1 to do this.   Perhaps the HDR/SDR filter idea's time has come.

• Like 1

storelogan
8 minutes ago, tarinr said:

I have numerous 4K movies placed in their own library apart from my standard HD/SD movies.    I'd like to tag them by HDR, SDR etc.   Easy their a fast way to identify and tag them?  I'd hate to have to go through these 1 by 1 to do this.   Perhaps the HDR/SDR filter idea's time has come.

Agreed. I downloaded MediaInfo and went thru all my movies and tagged the HDR ones, it would be ideal to have a built-in filter though. 

Painkiller8818

I use the Plugin Cover Art so its easy for me to see if a movie is 4k or not.

They all look like this:

grafik.png.b640a34502a1e5d443101475a0ef9de1.png

55 minutes ago, Painkiller8818 said:

I use the Plugin Cover Art so its easy for me to see if a movie is 4k or not.

They all look like this:

grafik.png.b640a34502a1e5d443101475a0ef9de1.png

But this doesn't distinguish between SDR and HDR or HDR10.

Painkiller8818
1 minute ago, tarinr said:

ok you are right this is just the resolution, but it should help to identify the 4K and so you can go through them to see if hd10, DV etc.

GrimReaper
6 minutes ago, tarinr said:

You can use Iconic plugin, it's a very handy/versatile tool.

• 3 weeks later...
awdspyder
On 10/11/2021 at 11:55 AM, tarinr said:

I second this.  I would even take it a step further and love to see the ability to easily distinguish between, and filter by, SDR, HDR10, HDR10+ and Dolby Vision.  The only issue I see right now is there's no easily identifiable difference between the three in the current Media Info.  For example:

On the left is a title with Dolby Vision and HDR10, in the middle is a title with DV and HDR10+, and another on the right with HDR10 only.  Of course viewing the files with MediaInfo shows the relevant data, it just doesn't look like it's being parsed by Emby at this time.
image.png.23f9b0d80a62f28ea2c8a193c204151a.pngimage.png.6aa84a616db0ef131077500117f495fe.pngimage.png.b8deedfead60e8b6783b1a3309f350db.png

Edited by awdspyder

GrimReaper
14 minutes ago, awdspyder said:

Of course viewing the files with MediaInfo shows the relevant data, it just doesn't look like it's being parsed by Emby at this time.

Emby does not use MediaInfo but relies on ffmpeg/ffprobe, and inherent 'limitations'. 

awdspyder
7 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Emby does not use MediaInfo but relies on ffmpeg/ffprobe, and inherent 'limitations'. 

Understood - my point was simply that the metadata is inherently there in the file (at least with MKVs).

Edited by awdspyder

GrimReaper
6 minutes ago, awdspyder said:

Understood - my point was simply that the metadata is inherently there in the file (at least with MKVs).

Here's a quick read re:Dolby standards:

And a bit longer-read FR:

5 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

There's a huge difference between the way how ffmpeg/ffprobe. work and what MediaInfo does:

MediaInfo just reads some file headers to know what it is. That's really easy to do and the information is publicly available. It's not decoding, it's just like reading how things are labelled. 

But when ffmpeg adds support for a codec, it actually implements support for this - like for example for HDR10+: When it gets implemented in ffmpeg, it will be able to actually decode the HDR frame data and make it available for processing in filters (most importantly: tone mapping) or re-encoding.

These things are at least partially being worked on (at the side of ffmpeg). Right in the current week there were some new submissions, so this is really "live".
It will take some time until there will be something useful and reliable, but once it will have come to that point, we'll surely deliver that.

PS: don't get crazy for Dolby Vision. This is a very general term for a multitude of formats/profiles. If this would be more frequently used in the future, I can already promise that we'll all have a lot of fun with it..

Edited by softworkz
  • Like 2