Jump to content

Server Crashed on 2019 iMac 27" with 64GB ram


mattcaz
 Share

Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

Recommended Posts

mattcaz

4k  7.1 audio movie streaming from western digital 8TB External MyBook drive over Gigabit ethernet.  Drive can support 220mbit/sec with blackmagic disk speed test.. took forever to start and then crashed the server.

Does Emby Premier fix this choke issue as i don't need all the other stuff premier offers.

 

thanks,
matt caswell

 

Edited by mattcaz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Happy2Play

Please provide the server an ffmpeg log if present, but sounds like it was trying to transcoding.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

mattcaz
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Please provide the server an ffmpeg log if present, but sounds like it was trying to transcoding.

 

The FFMPEG was at 420% thats the blue below.  The video is 7.1 AAC audio and has a bit rate of 45000 kbps in an MKV wrapper.  Is this causing an on the fly transcode? 

I'll read the docs on what other info to provide in the future.

Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 2.59.50 PM.png

Edited by mattcaz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, mattcaz said:

The FFMPEG was at 420% thats the blue below.  The video is 7.1 AAC audio and has a bit rate of 45000 kbps in an MKV wrapper.  Is this causing an on the fly transcode? 

I'll read the docs on what other info to provide in the future.

Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 2.59.50 PM.png

The server and ffmpeg log will provide the reason why.  We would usually tell you look at the Stats for Nerds menu during playback but since it is crashing you can't really do that.

What exactly do you mean by crashed the server?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

mattcaz

Crashed the server. It died and wouldn't respond anymore. the web page wouldn't load. I had to manually kill the server process to get it to restart and access with the web page.

Server log shows bit rate 45000 and max allowed 35000.  would that force the transcode so if it was below 35000 it might behave.  I understand 4k is between 35k and 45k.

Still looking.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

mattcaz

Playing a 1080p 7.1 ACC audio file and it's playing fine cpu is behaving.  So i'm guessing forcing the transcode to knock it down from 45k on the previous file is the issue.

So does premier do anything to the engine to make it faster or does it just add features?

 

thanks for your assistance!

matt

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Happy2Play
5 minutes ago, mattcaz said:

Server log shows bit rate 45000 and max allowed 35000.  would that force the transcode so if it was below 35000 it might behave.  I understand 4k is between 35k and 45k.

All we can do is guess without seeing the logs.  But yes it sounds like a exceedingcontainerbitrate and is transcoding to a lower level.

1 minute ago, mattcaz said:

Playing a 1080p 7.1 ACC audio file and it's playing fine cpu is behaving.  So i'm guessing forcing the transcode to knock it down from 45k on the previous file is the issue.

So does premier do anything to the engine to make it faster or does it just add features?

 

thanks for your assistance!

matt

 

Every client has a different possible maxbitrate limit so we are still just guessing here without seeing logs.

Premiere would allow hardware acceleration if your server has the hardware. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

mattcaz
1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

All we can do is guess without seeing the logs.  But yes it sounds like a exceedingcontainerbitrate and is transcoding to a lower level.

Every client has a different possible maxbitrate limit so we are still just guessing here without seeing logs.

Premiere would allow hardware acceleration if your server has the hardware. 

So how do I find out if the iMac2019 27" has it?  In OBS it allows 264 hardware and cut the cpu down from 60% to 13% for encoding.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

mattcaz

Your docs don't show that premier support hardware encoding  on the Mac so I guess it's a moot point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Solution
Happy2Play
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, mattcaz said:

Your docs don't show that premier support hardware encoding  on the Mac so I guess it's a moot point.

Devs will have to comment more but they will want to see server and ffmpeg logs also.  With this being a 8th/9th gen i5 processor I would think it would have HWA but they will be able to comment more, but don't know your system specs.

But looking at another topic.

 

Edited by Happy2Play
Link to comment
Share on other sites

mattcaz

Thanks for all your help. I've never used your software before today so I'll keep testing and digging

 

Thanks again,

matt

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, mattcaz said:

Thanks for all your help. I've never used your software before today so I'll keep testing and digging

 

Thanks again,

matt

 

Can you post or pm the ffmpeg log.

It requires Premiere but you may get better result from Emby Theater.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

mattcaz
6 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Can you post or pm the ffmpeg log.

It requires Premiere but you may get better result from Emby Theater.

Just PM'd the server, transcode and hardware logs.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Happy2Play

Most of the issue was Auto on the Roku app is limited to 35Mb, had OP change to a quality other then Auto.

@speechlesDoes the Multi-channel AAC/FLAC option affect AAC 7.1 as we are seeing ac3 stereo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/8/2021 at 8:43 PM, Happy2Play said:

Most of the issue was Auto on the Roku app is limited to 35Mb, had OP change to a quality other then Auto.

@speechlesDoes the Multi-channel AAC/FLAC option affect AAC 7.1 as we are seeing ac3 stereo.

@Happy2Play can you add me to the PM? Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

mattcaz
53 minutes ago, Luke said:

@mattcaz are you still having an issue with this?

I've installed Emby on my old 2008 Mac pro with 48GB ram and a hardware encoding GPU and it seems to be handling it fine.  I think the 4k video crashed the CPU on my iMac 2019 because of all the other stuff going on and that hardware encoding wasn't enabled.  I'd still love to know why Emby can't transcode AAC 7.1 into DD+ 7.1.  License fee's I guess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, mattcaz said:

I've installed Emby on my old 2008 Mac pro with 48GB ram and a hardware encoding GPU and it seems to be handling it fine.  I think the 4k video crashed the CPU on my iMac 2019 because of all the other stuff going on and that hardware encoding wasn't enabled.  I'd still love to know why Emby can't transcode AAC 7.1 into DD+ 7.1.  License fee's I guess.

Why do you think it can't?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

mattcaz
5 minutes ago, Luke said:

Why do you think it can't?

because when I send a AAC 7.1 file to my Roku Ultra it gets sent as stereo 2 channel.  If it transcoded it like it does for AAC 5.1 where it sends it as AC-3 DD 5.1, then it would send it as EAC-3 DD+ 7.1 channel.   I'm not an expert on this, and even though I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, I have done much testing and research on this.  If I turn off Audio Transcoding in my user profile settings, DD+ 7.1 and DD 5.1 get sent thru to my Denon AVR 950 because the Roku Ultra understands eac-3 and DD 5.1

Edited by mattcaz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Happy2Play
2 hours ago, Luke said:

@Happy2Play can you add me to the PM? Thanks.

Added

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/8/2021 at 5:43 PM, Happy2Play said:

Most of the issue was Auto on the Roku app is limited to 35Mb, had OP change to a quality other then Auto.

@speechlesDoes the Multi-channel AAC/FLAC option affect AAC 7.1 as we are seeing ac3 stereo.

Yes. Both 8 and 6 channel AAC will become AC3 if the option is enabled. Presently that is the behavior. In the future 8 channel AAC will become EAC3 in 8 channels and 6 channel AAC will become AC3.

2 hours ago, mattcaz said:

because when I send a AAC 7.1 file to my Roku Ultra it gets sent as stereo 2 channel.  If it transcoded it like it does for AAC 5.1 where it sends it as AC-3 DD 5.1, then it would send it as EAC-3 DD+ 7.1 channel.   I'm not an expert on this, and even though I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, I have done much testing and research on this.  If I turn off Audio Transcoding in my user profile settings, DD+ 7.1 and DD 5.1 get sent thru to my Denon AVR 950 because the Roku Ultra understands eac-3 and DD 5.1

You need to make sure the "Convert AAC" option is set to YES. This will change the capabilities to report the Roku only supports 2 channel AAC. Anytime the codec is AAC and the channel count is over 2 the Emby server will convert to AC3.

Do not turn off Audio Transcoding on the server. This will send the RAW AAC to the Roku Ultra which will immediately reduce it to 2 channel AAC. The Roku Ultra will reduce on hardware. To defeat this use the "Convert AAC" option in the Roku app. Leave it set to YES. This will force transcoding for the audio when the channel count is over 2 and defeat the Roku natively reduce all AAC to 2 channel.

Does this help you understand?

 

Note: We had a bug in the application which was restrict the max audio channels to 6 even when the Roku model support 8 channels. We have fixed this bug.

Reference: Fix #1155: [Capabilities] Max channels - oversight - allow 8 channel eac3

Edited by speechles
Link to comment
Share on other sites

mattcaz
50 minutes ago, speechles said:

SNIP

 

Note: We had a bug in the application which was restrict the max audio channels to 6 even when the Roku model support 8 channels. We have fixed this bug.

Reference: Fix #1155: [Capabilities] Max channels - oversight - allow 8 channel eac3

I have audio transcoding off because I'm am manually using MKV tools to change aac to AC-3 5.1. This way, any DD+  eac3 video files that I do have on the server that I have NOT changed to AC3, will pass thru in 8 channel sound.  Once you get the fix for AAC 7.1, then I can enable audio transcoding again.  I appreciate your explanation, and I eagerly await your update to transcode AAC 7.1 to eac3 7.1 in the future.

THanks,
matt

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

image.png

That message should say "Audio Codec not supported" and I will look at that. This shows that indeed our fix produces EAC3 in 8 channels from AAC 7.1 media. Stay tuned...

Edited by speechles
Link to comment
Share on other sites

mattcaz
11 minutes ago, speechles said:

 

That message should say "Audio Codec not supported" and I will look at that. This shows that indeed our fix produces EAC3 in 8 channels from AAC 7.1 media. Stay tuned...

Tuned in! I appreciate your efforts!  I see you're in one of the beautiful places in California. I spent time stationed at Beale AFB and loved heading up into your part of the world.

matt

 

Edited by mattcaz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This should be improved with the next update to the Emby Roku app. Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...