How do you playback high bitrate 4K videos?

Henkmeister

Henkmeister

I have been noticing a raise in the bitrate on 4K movie content. I have a Nvidia Shield TV Pro and seems it's limits are somewhere close to 70mbps (1917, Lord Of The Rings etc.). After this the picture starts to freeze occasionally and is unwatchable. This is throught 1Gbit network so should not be a problem of that.

I do like the Shield TV's very simple BT remote and stable software.

Happy2Play

That is the problem with high bitrate media as it was technically never designed to be streamed at that rate, it was for HDMI.

Some have got it to work and others have not.  There are several topics on this but in the end you have to list your entire setup and how they are linked as there are a lot of variables. 

• Thanks 1

Henkmeister

I have this kind of setup:

UnRAID server with 1Gbit connection (MB: Supermicro A2SDi-4C-HLN4F) -> TP-LINK TL-PA8010P (max 1300 Mbps) -> TP-LINK TL-PA8010P max (1300 Mbps) -> Nvidia Shield TV Pro -> Benq TK850 projector

My PC (NUCi5BEH) works just fine with these high bitrate movies.

Happy2Play

Emby is on the server?

1 hour ago, Henkmeister said:

After this the picture starts to freeze occasionally and is unwatchable.

What playback method is being used shown on SFN or the dashboard?

Henkmeister

Yes, Emby is on the server.

Hmm... I changed the Shield settings to:

YUV 422 12-bit rec 709

And now everything plays back smoothly.

I understood that this needs much from the network to work. Isn't 12-bit same as Dolby Vision? How can my projector show this?

BTW, how can I check is Emby making some chapter images or scraping data etc on the backgound. I think sometimes this is a problem too. Like after I add bunch of movies the viewing experince is a bit choppy.

Edited by Henkmeister

Happy2Play
8 hours ago, Henkmeister said:

BTW, how can I check is Emby making some chapter images or scraping data etc on the backgound. I think sometimes this is a problem too. Like after I add bunch of movies the viewing experince is a bit choppy.

Really the only way is checking your server log as Real Time Monitors item changes are only logged.  Now if you disable RTM these operations only happen on a scheduled task.

So if you are adding/changing/updating media while watching media yes RTM can be problematic.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Henkmeister said:

Yes, Emby is on the server.

Hmm... I changed the Shield settings to:

YUV 422 12-bit rec 709

And now everything plays back smoothly.

I understood that this needs much from the network to work. Isn't 12-bit same as Dolby Vision? How can my projector show this?

Have you explored the various library options for each library? Most of these intensive processes allow you to configure when they happen, e.g. when the media is scanned, and/or a periodic scheduled task.

• Thanks 1

Henkmeister

I now changed the RTM to be off, but I feel that it just comes down to the fact that if I will be watching high bitrate content 4K over my network, no one else in my network should not be doing any kind of streaming.

FrostByte

I have all the Hobbit and LoTR and 1917 movies remuxed and can Direct Play all of them using my Shield.

NAS -> 2gb -> Switch -> 1gb -> Shield

If using the ATV app you can set it to "file" access instead of http which can help with high bitrate media also

• Thanks 1

Henkmeister
11 hours ago, FrostByte said:

I have all the Hobbit and LoTR and 1917 movies remuxed and can Direct Play all of them using my Shield.

NAS -> 2gb -> Switch -> 1gb -> Shield

If using the ATV app you can set it to "file" access instead of http which can help with high bitrate media also

Thank you so much!

I will try this today.

Henkmeister

Hmm... I can only do this:

Folder:

smb://192.168.0.199/movies (server does not get found with by it's name only. always smb infront)

(Optional) Shared network folder:

\\TOWER\Movies

But still the Stream Type is HTTP. Protocol is DIRECT PLAY.

What should I do?

Edited by Henkmeister

Instead of adding the smb path directly to emby server, try mounting it to a local path using the tools in the shield software. Then setup the library with the local path instead. Please see if that helps. Thanks 

Henkmeister

@FrostByte This I do not quite get:

Example:
You have a Movies library on the server using C:\Movies. This folder is also shared on the network with a share name of "Movies-C". The UNC format of this resource would then be similar to \\SERVER\Movies-C

I only see shares, not discs. Are you suggesting for every disc should be added as a share?

Edited by Henkmeister

FrostByte

I think the only thing I had to enable on my NAS was smb3 which is what the Shield uses since a few updates ago.

Server folders look like this.  MyEmbyMedia is my shared folder and Movies, TV Shows, etc are my media folders for libraries

.embyfolders.jpg.14b0bda8b3acd0c5af110786074f621e.jpg

Edited by FrostByte

FrostByte

On the Shield under "Mount network storage" I then added my NAS and when I click the mounted storage I can see my shared folder MyEmbyMedia

1865446586_NetworkStorageSettings_20211013_154109.png.a40cfccc0bbbea9aae879877f362698a.png

The last things was to enable "Pass direct path" within the client

Edited by FrostByte

FrostByte

I did enable Transfer files over local network, but that was for seeing my NAS and transferring files to it from other computers and really doesn't have anything to do with Direct path access to media

Settings_20211013_155855.png.73b54a39d1ce0ee1e5ee0ad62514e1f0.png

Also, I believe someone had an issue when using lower case letters in the server name (MEDIA-SERVER in my case), but I'm not sure.  Something about the Shield wouldn't accept his NAS name though until he changed it.

Edited by FrostByte

Henkmeister

Now Shield is playing from file! 🙂

I enabled NFS on my server and Shield shows now Direct Play and Stream type: file.

But... still video stutters on high bitrate. 😭

My network goes through the powerline but it is a 1300 Mbps connection so should not be a problem.

Thank you so much for your time, I will do some testing.

• Like 1

rbjtech
56 minutes ago, Henkmeister said:

My network goes through the powerline but it is a 1300 Mbps connection so should not be a problem.

..and this is highly likely to be your issue.  The advertised speed on these powerlines is frankly marketing BS - you will probably get a 10th of that if you are lucky.

If you connect the server and shield using 1gig Ethernet (direct connect) - you should not see any issues. 

I have been running 4K Remux's above 100Mbit/sec without an issues on the Shield for many many months (using File method from a Windows share).

A good way to really test the Shield throughput is to use something like iPerf3 in server mode on the host and client mode on the Shield.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1