Is MBT the poor relation?

johnhb

MBT priority  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Is MBT being given the development priority it should?

• NO - Please give some love to the HTPC users!
    • YES - It works great!

Rainking720

I've seen the new version of MBT and it's 10000 times better than the current version of MBT.  All along i've had piss poor UI performance with the MBT on relatively beefy computers, but the new one is smooth as silk.  Trust me when I say it's a major improvement.  It's still a work in progress and is a bit light on options, but the framework for a solid app is there.

I hope your right. The current downloaded version is so bad that I simply had to remove it from my machines. Flickering and stuttering video, poor subtitle handling, poor keyboard and mouse control were all factors. Just seemed to get worse and worse with each version. With no user facing development progress, it isn't even worth it to report bugs.

• Like 2

bret1958

I believe it needs developers not dollars.. So start coding;)

a 2 line .bat file or reprogramming the remote is all I'm good for. Respect all the hard work you guys do,  All I can do is pay my bill wish I could do more.

Edited by bret1958

Xzener

As one of the original testers of the original MBT, development back then was done on the fly while server features were being developed. Excitement was high back then, we were making Media Browser history... And I felt very fortunate to be part of it. I can agree, and disagree with some of the comments made in this thread. I am one of you guys, a user of MBT wondering why development took a strange turn. Well, while we built it... Many features we came up with weren't really possible with the code laid down. Themeing being one of them. Those of you who came from MB2 (WMC being the backend), themeing was HUGE! And IMO, the reason why Media Browser was so popular.

This time around, I (and other testers) was brought on board later in development. The new Emby Theater is coming along nicely. Luke, thanks for lifting your NDA requirements a tad and allow me to speak. ;) The Devs are taking our feedback into consideration for how ET is rounding out. The new Emby Theater has the look and feel of the original, but the UI is MUCH more crisp, clean, responsive and modernized. I will not go into to much detail, but MBT lovers (pleading for updates) will be very happy when the new Emby Theater 1.0 launches. Luke has been gathering screenshots and is working on a teaser blog. Stay tuned, and please be patient. It will pay off I assure you.

Thanks Luke.

• Like 3

I'd like to get the new server release out then I'll see about doing a blog teaser. 

I will give you one tidbit though, which Xzener and Rainking can corroborate. In addition to the smoothness they both hinted about, you're going to be amazed at how crisp and clear it is. One of the things that sets this apart from other htpc apps is that it renders directly at resolution without any scaling. The current MBT app is definitely crisper and clearer than windows media center, but even still, this is going to make it look like an old sdtv.

• Like 4

AMenard

Finally! I may get back on the wagon after leaving it for Kodi due to the lack of a good non web client.

Keep up the good work!

whitestrat13

@@Luke @@Xzener This is awesome news!  I'll be anxiously awaiting the release blog post.

If you need testers, I have Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 PC's that I'd happily use to evaluate this. :)

Thanks once again for all the hard work!

Edited by whitestrat13

One2Go

Those of you who came from MB2 (WMC being the backend), themeing was HUGE! And IMO, the reason why Media Browser was so popular.

Couldn't agree more and it is one of the reasons I have not committed myself to a change. My content library is accessible just fine and most of the features and changes don't do a lot for a dedicated home theater. Looking at all available options to display intelligent information about your library I feel that EMBY themes are the step child. When browsing through KODI & PLEX themes I wonder if there will ever be something similar in EMBY.

Xzener, still using your icons and PSD templates, thanks for it.

• Like 1

The current MBT app is definitely crisper and clearer than windows media center, but even still, this is going to make it look like an old sdtv.

I can't wait to see this! For me WMC, despite al it's lacking features, still has the smoothest UI ever!

At this point in time I still use WMC every day on 2 systems, but only for Live TV, for the rest

I use MBT (or the webclient on my iPad) I sure hope the navigation in the new MBT TV guide will be as smooth as it is in WMC!

Cannot wait for the new version.

Currently i'm in limbo - the plugin for MediaPortal no longer works, MCE is dead, and I don't want to spend weeks getting Kodi working right and then MBT get released. Happy to be a live production beta tester :-)

Xzener

So far so good... What other functions does Emby Classic have that (the current) Emby Theater doesn't have??

Edited by Xzener

steelman1991

So far so good... What other functions does Emby Classic have that (the current) Emby Theater doesn't have??

The ability to playback files properly??  :P

AdrianW

Assuming we're talking about the New ET:

• List views - i.e. a vertical list of episode titles with check marks for watched content.
  • Auto select next episode (although Next Up does help here).
  • Pressing right / left at episode detail level to skip to the next / previous episode.
  • Display of mediainfo icons.
  • Larger sized posters.
  • Larger sized Logo or Clear Art.
  • Configurable number of rows of posters.
  • Pressing a letter on the keyboard (or triple-tap on a remote) to jump to that letter in a list of movies or shows.
  • Pressing page up / page down to jump a larger distance instead of one title at a time.
  • Goes full screen without having to set the taskbar to hide.
  • Timestamps on chapter images.
  • Clicking an actor should include a list of titles in which they appear.
Edited by AdrianW

politby

Cannot wait for the new version.

Currently i'm in limbo - the plugin for MediaPortal no longer works, MCE is dead, and I don't want to spend weeks getting Kodi working right and then MBT get released. Happy to be a live production beta tester :-)

I don't understand why so many are insisting Media Center is dead. Microsoft really nailed it when it comes to PVR functionality. Over the last 10 years I think I have tried every other major alternative, including linux-based set-top boxes, XBMC, MediaPortal, DVBViewer, you name it. Nothing comes even close to the stability and general usability of Windows Media Center.

Ok, Microsoft has announced end of support for Media Center, but as long as there is hardware available that will run Windows 7 or 8.1 it should continue to work just fine. At some point Microsoft may stop providing EPG data, but there are several xml-based providers which can replace it. I for one have never used EPG data from Microsoft, the in band guide from my satellite provider is much better.

Take a simple example: series recording. Only one platform I tried has ever been able to do this reliably. Guess which one? WMC.

I certainly hope to be proven wrong, but considering that Windows Media Center after more than 10 years is still the gold standard for PVRs, I very much doubt Emby Theater is going to become an alternative anytime soon.

As much as I hate to both say it and admit it, after sticking with Emby from way back when it was called video browser, for daily use in my house we have now switched to Plex home theater and the Plex app for LG Smart TVs. It plays the video content we need it to play, the interface may not be flashy but it works very well and the server has, at least so far, stayed reasonably unbloated.

I used to love MBC. I have not done anything to my hardware for at least 2 years, but MBC has become progressively more sluggish and unstable to the point where I just had to stop using it. I suspect the increasing amount of added bulk to the server is responsible for this.

I will continue monitoring the progress of MB theater and definitely move back soon as it works as well as PHT but I fear that may not be for quite a while.

Edited by politby
  • Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

Just waiting for the blog update. I hope the interface doesn't emulate the interface of the Modern App. The Modern App is borderline unusable with its vertical columns and only showing four movies per letter. I'd rather a big poster wall like in the Web Client, even on a tablet, but can't find options to change it.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

I'm glad the new server has been released. Now it's full steam ahead with Theater again :)

As far as the default theme, it will be similar to the existing app, but certainly not identical. 

• Like 7

Just waiting for the blog update. I hope the interface doesn't emulate the interface of the Modern App. The Modern App is borderline unusable with its vertical columns and only showing four movies per letter. I'd rather a big poster wall like in the Web Client, even on a tablet, but can't find options to change it.

Hi @@Koleckai Silvestri

For the Win 10 app just go to settings > General > Show more data in grids.

55e82d3969d07_movieWall.png

Might be a little closer to  want you are looking for. Above is all movies. Differences in other views as well.

-Vicpa

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

Hi @@Koleckai Silvestri

For the Win 10 app just go to settings > General > Show more data in grids.

55e82d3969d07_movieWall.png

Might be a little closer to  want you are looking for. Above is all movies. Differences in other views as well.

-Vicpa

No such option. Don't even have a settings screen.  I started a new thread since it is off-topic for here:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/25034-two-questions/

Jdiesel

I just got around to setting up the Kodi DsPlayer build with LAV filters, MadVR, and reclock because I couldn't wait any longer.  Everything just works. Features like integrated onscreen menus to a modify MadVR settings and profiles is super convenient and full screen exclusive mode works correctly.  The development on the DsPlayer build of Kodi has be amazing and I can safely say that it is ready for prime time.

I have been using the Emby plugin for Kodi for my library management which Kodi is still lacking.  For those of you wanting a proper HTPC frontend that is ready now I suggest trying out the Kodi DsPlayer build with the Emby plugin. Plus you still has access to all the amazing Kodi skins and plugins.  

Koleckai Silvestri

I just got around to setting up the Kodi DsPlayer build with LAV filters, MadVR, and reclock because I couldn't wait any longer.  Everything just works. Features like integrated onscreen menus to a modify MadVR settings and profiles is super convenient and full screen exclusive mode works correctly.  The development on the DsPlayer build of Kodi has be amazing and I can safely say that it is ready for prime time.

I have been using the Emby plugin for Kodi for my library management which Kodi is still lacking.  For those of you wanting a proper HTPC frontend that is ready now I suggest trying out the Kodi DsPlayer build with the Emby plugin. Plus you still has access to all the amazing Kodi skins and plugins.  

Still looking for an all-in-one client where I can spend my time watching television shows and movies instead of maintaining multiple applications on different machines so everyone else can watch television shows and movies. I get enough family aggro over maintaining the Roku Clients in the house.

Maybe if I was single, Kodi would be a solution. It is too much work in my current situation though.

• Like 1

Jdiesel

Still looking for an all-in-one client where I can spend my time watching television shows and movies instead of maintaining multiple applications on different machines so everyone else can watch television shows and movies. I get enough family aggro over maintaining the Roku Clients in the house.

Maybe if I was single, Kodi would be a solution. It is too much work in my current situation though.

I don't see what applications need to be maintained, running Kodi and Emby Server is no different than running Emby Theater and Emby Server.  The Dsplayer build contains all the required filters with the exception of MadVR which needs to be installed manually. Everything is setup within Kodi and is not difficult at all.  If you don't need stuff like MadVR then just used the regular version of Kodi with the Emby plugin. 

I'm not sure why Kodi gets the reputation for being hard to setup or needs tons of maintenance. It is a mature piece of software and imo is the only true candidate for a proper experience on a dedicated HTPC, hopefully Emby Theater will improve but it has a long ways to go.  The developers of the Emby plugin for Kodi have done a great job and now people who want the best experience on their HTPC can also enjoy the benefits of Emby Server's great features like transcoding, media management, and PVR functionality. In fact you can get an identical experience on Windows, OSX, Linux, Android, and IOS.

Edited by Jdiesel
  • Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

I don't see what applications need to be maintained, running Kodi and Emby Server is no different than running Emby Theater and Emby Server.  The Dsplayer build contains all the required filters with the exception of MadVR which needs to be installed manually. Everything is setup within Kodi and is not difficult at all.  If you don't need stuff like MadVR then just used the regular version of Kodi with the Emby plugin. 

I'm not sure why Kodi gets the reputation for being hard to setup or needs tons of maintenance. It is a mature piece of software and imo is the only true candidate for a proper experience on a dedicated HTPC, hopefully Emby Theater will improve but it has a long ways to go.  The developers of the Emby plugin for Kodi have done a great job and now people who want the best experience on their HTPC can also enjoy the benefits of Emby Server's great features like transcoding, media management, and PVR functionality. In fact you can get an identical experience on Windows, OSX, Linux, Android, and IOS.

Ran XMBC for months before switching to Plex and then Mediabrowser, now Emby. It was always causing problems. Tried the new plugin and still requires a ton of setup on the Kodi side to get anything that I could consider usable. Since every instance of Kodi is its own entity, each setting change, theme and plugin install has to be applied individually to the five computers in the house. If friends or family come to visit, then I have to modify their computer as well. Like I said, too much work. Then when it doesn't work one afternoon, I have to go fix it. XMBC frequently didn't work. By work, I mean the computer user selects the icon and is watching television in 30 seconds or so.