Transcoding rules for 8 bit and 10 bit video

Cloudbill

Cloudbill

Is it possible to make different transcoding rules for 8 bit and 10 bit video? I'm using a Fire HD 8 tablet (specs https://developer.amazon.com/docs/fire-tablets/ft-device-specifications-firehd-models.html?v=firehd8_2020 ) and the hardware isn't quite up to par in playing the equivalent 10 bit in comparison to 8 bit video. Lowering the bitrate for just 10 bit videos instead of both 8 bit and 10 bit would be more advantageous to retain video quality where it doesn't need to be compromised. If this has been broached before I apologize. I searched for the topic but nothing came up.

Edited by Cloudbill

GrimReaper

Not exactly sure what you're trying to achieve there, as transcoding decision isn't (and can't) be based only on color depth but numerous factors based on device format support. 

Link you gave doesn't list 10-bit profile support anywhere so it gets transcoded in any case, whatever you're playing, so your device settings play no part there, it's all server side, your can only restrict bitrate in client app. Your 8-bit files would be DirectPlayed/DirectStreamed/Transcoded, based on number of factors (container, audio, bitrate...), so again, not quite clear about your desired usage-case. 

Edited by GrimReaper
Typo
  • Like 1

Cloudbill

The tablet can't hardware accelerate 10 bit files but it can software decode it using strictly the ARM cpu and not the Mali gpu. By lowering bitrate for just 10 bit files via transcoding server-side rules for 10 bit files only it will lower video quality for just the 10 bit file and not the 8 bit files which the tablet can decode through hardware acceleration. I have actually manually lowered bitrate through server-side transcoding for 10 bit files and the tablet can effectively play these files without lag albeit with lower quality. I hope I am making myself clear. I'm not totally tech illiterate but I'm rather new to mobile media usage like this.

GrimReaper

So why don't you just lower in-app quality while playing 10-bit files (OSD cog icon)? That is effectively same as restricting the bitrate server-side. That way you'll retain higher bitrate settings for 8-bit files. 

• Like 1

Cloudbill

That's what I have been doing when I say "manually". I've been doing that on a "need" basis for each file. The problem is that I have to revert back manually each time when not playing 10 bit files. If possible I'd rather have this done automatically for just 10 bit files. A lot of times when lowering bitrate for 10 bit files the server transcodes. Having a rule that differentiate between 8 and 10 bit files will make the process more convenient. I imagine, I could be wrong, that creating a ruleset like this would be rather simple.

Edited by Cloudbill

GrimReaper

I reckon that implementing such would introduce unnecessary complexity both for inept users and troubleshooting purposes, as it is already quite convoluted enough with several places that bitrate restriction can be enforced. 

IMHO more sensible approach would be a settings toggle to NOT remember quality selection between playback sessions, i.e. always default to selections in Settings>Playback, do not automatically change if changed in OSD during playback. 

• Agree 2