Raspberry Pi 3 - Emby Theatre jerky / low fps

ScottBouch
Go to solution Solved by ScottBouch,

ScottBouch

Hi, I have just installed the latest Emby Theatre iso on a Raspberry Pi 3.

Info:

This Raspberry pi 3 has previously been fine operating Kodi (OSMC, Libreelec), and RasPLEX clients. It is connected to the network by Ethernet.

Image used: 2021-03-31-emby-theater-rasp.img from: https://emby.media/emby-theater-rpi.html

Issue:

Browsing the menus is very laggy and clunky, and when you try to play (either an HD movie or low-res episode of Peppa Pig), the video playback is so very slow, maybe 3 or 4 frames per second. The low FPS witnessed in the video does resemble the menu issue, so I'm thinking it's a general OS / device issue, ie: not just video playback issue.

The sorry part of this story is that I yesterday also just paid for lifelong Emby Premiere to unlock the playback feature of Emby Theatre for this Raspberry Pi, only to find that it doesn't work. If it remains not working I will ask for a refund as I don't need a premiere account for any other reason.

Please can anyone suggest how to make this work? I raised this issue on github, but thought I may look for a solution form the forum too.

Edited by ScottBouch

ScottBouch

Hi Luke, thanks.. I know with dev work it's like asking how long a piece of sting is, but is there any idea of an expected timescale on this project; or perhaps a better question is the priority it's being given alongside other projects?

Just that my wife is (quite rightly) questioning the ~£80 lifetime premiere investment we have just made for Emby Theatre - it's a bit embarrassing that I can't make it work.

Cheers, Scott

daldana

Scott,

I also am using a Pi 3 as an Emby client, albeit with the Debian image, and I've found that a few changes in the raspi-config really made a difference. You may have already tried these so I apologize if I'm repeating anything.

1. Increase the GPU memory to 128 or 256.

2. Enable the "Fake KMS" driver. To do this go to Advanced Options, GL Driver, enable "Fake KMS". Note, this may kill HDMI audio, but there is a fix for that. You would have to modify the /boot/config.txt file with the below changes, then selecting the second choice for audio in raspi-config (in my case it was MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0).

# uncomment to force a HDMI mode rather than DVI. This can make audio work in
# DMT (computer monitor) modes
hdmi_drive=2
hdmi_force_edid_audio=1

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Baenwort
On 10/14/2021 at 1:29 PM, daldana said:

Scott,

I also am using a Pi 3 as an Emby client, albeit with the Debian image, and I've found that a few changes in the raspi-config really made a difference. You may have already tried these so I apologize if I'm repeating anything.

2. Enable the "Fake KMS" driver. To do this go to Advanced Options, GL Driver, enable "Fake KMS". Note, this may kill HDMI audio, but there is a fix for that. You would have to modify the /boot/config.txt file with the below changes, then selecting the second choice for audio in raspi-config (in my case it was MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0).

hdmi_drive=2
hdmi_force_edid_audio=1

Hope this helps.

I want to say that these two changes seem to make my Pi3 run fine for videos and audio streaming. 

Sometimes I have to force transcoding and then go back to direct play to get video to not be a black screen but that is the only problem I have. 

A few videos have proven to be to HQ for the Pi to handle without pauses but I'm happy to downrez as my Pi touchscreen is only 800x480.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
ScottBouch
On 14/10/2021 at 19:29, daldana said:

Scott,

hdmi_drive=2
hdmi_force_edid_audio=1

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice, I followed it exactly (GPU to 256) , and it did make a huge improvement, browsing round the media selection screen now works better, and the video plays better... however, on a big screen it's still unwatchable regarding low frame rate and lip sync.

I have spent a while systematically trying all the video settings one at a time , nothing made it watchable, not even 480px (which looked hideous projected onto a 2.5m screen!).

Any further refinements to try, please do shout.

• 1 year later...
hukt_own_fonikz

Sorry to necro, I've been using ScottBouch's OpenELEC solution and it's working great, but I would rather just use Emby for a unified UI across all my devices. Any updates on Pi3, or am I going to have to bite the bullet and eventually get a Pi4?

On 3/26/2023 at 8:47 PM, hukt_own_fonikz said:

Sorry to necro, I've been using ScottBouch's OpenELEC solution and it's working great, but I would rather just use Emby for a unified UI across all my devices. Any updates on Pi3, or am I going to have to bite the bullet and eventually get a Pi4?

Hi, we do have some users here running RPI3, but admittedly we are focusing our dev and testing efforts on RPI 4 and above.

• Thanks 1