Search in emby not showing list of airings, only random channels

Red5ive

Make sure to also set ShowId for each program. This is the unique id of the specific airing so that other airings of the same content can be identified.

emveepee

Ok does it have to be show specific or can it be more generic?  @sub3 doesn't provide the tms id because it is only relevent for SD users but I could put the year for movies and the original air date for other show.  The date is better then S/E since it handles all show types.  If not I will build the key from the name.

Martin

Edited by emveepee

4 minutes ago, emveepee said:

Ok does it have to be show specific or can it be more generic?  @sub3 doesn't provide the tms id because it is only relevent for SD users but I could put the year for movies and and the original air date for other show.  The date is better then S/E since it handles all show types.  If not I will build the key from the name.

Martin

It doesn't have to be the tmsId if you don't want to expose that. It just has to be anything that can be used to group two airings together as being the same content. For example you could take the tmsId and hash it.

I wouldn't suggest using the name or dates because I think it's inevitable that it will lead to some incorrect pairings.

emveepee

Anything is better then the dog's breakfast we see today and many NextPVR/Emby users don't use SD.   I don't care about exposing the id it is on the zap2it website,  but the API from the back end doesn't expose it.  My question is  do I have to duplicate the series name in the showid or do you use it the showid as a filter on seriesid.  Since movies won't have a series I see now that that it must by name and year.

Martin

19 minutes ago, emveepee said:

Anything is better then the dog's breakfast we see today and many NextPVR/Emby users don't use SD.   I don't care about exposing the id it is on the zap2it website,  but the API from the back end doesn't expose it.  My question is  do I have to duplicate the series name in the showid or do you use it the showid as a filter on seriesid.  Since movies won't have a series I see now that that it must by name and year.

Martin

OK then any unique string you can come up with so that two movies can be grouped as the same movie, or two episodes of a series grouped as the same episode. You should also make sure those episodes are given the same SeriesId. And yes, you'll have to duplicate the series name in ShowId if you're going to go with that approach.

emveepee

Except for a dramatic change in the already slow guide update the showid filters seem to work but movies which show as movies in the guide still come up as programs in a search (except for the recordings)  https://imgur.com/a/zSZK2Rd  Is there something else missing or this that expect?

Martin

@Luke, @emveepee

I'm just going to throw this out there as crazy as it sounds. Is it possible to have the plug in only supply the communication for tuner channels and not have to supply recording or guide data to Emby?

Emby can do the recording so it really doesn't need the plugin to do that.  Emby can also supply the guide data as well or the user could supply Emby the same XML feed used for NextPVR. In a way it would fill the void left by NextPVR v5 handling of m3u files.

@Luke on our side how hard with this be to use a plugin but Emby's guide data or XML feed? 

I'm just going to throw this out there as crazy as it sounds. Is it possible to have the plug in only supply the communication for tuner channels and not have to supply recording or guide data to Emby?

This is what I'd like to do with the plugins, if the developers of them are OK with it. But first I need to expand it a little bit so that the tuner can also provide it's own guide data if it wants too. Once I've added that, then I may switch one over like TVH.

• Like 1

emveepee

I am waiting for the day that I can drop support for the addon but I feel they exist simply because the long  maybe permanent delay  of Emby to releasing next gen Live TV.   With a stable enough Win TV implementation the OP wouldn't need NextPVR or a Schedules Direct subscription.

Basically after this many years of live TV development in MP/Emby, a user shouldn't need run Emby and setup a PVR just to record from a tuner.  Why not consider SAT>IP and look in minisatip as the way to get digital broadcasts into Emby, it is easy to document  Also consider expanding your Gracenote licensing if you don't want to try and support extracting OTA guide data.

Anyway we are way off topic and I'd still like to know if I am doing something wrong having movies show up as programs on a search.

Martin

NextPVR v4 was actually ideal for use with Emby as you could use it to generate a playlist. You didn't even have to setup a guide in it. Basically NPVR4 became a network tuner to Emby just like an HDHomeRun, Vbox or Enigma/Sat system but could often run on the same machine.

You can do this still with other programs like TVH but that scares many people who are Windows only. I should probably try setting up a Linux docker install of it on Windows and give this a go.  Thanks for mention of minisatip.  I've never used it but will have to check it out!

Yep, getting way off topic. I'd be happy to pull any records for guide data or recordings from Emby database for you if this would help.  I don't have an SD account or I could setup NPVR and the plugin to get side-by-side data for the same shows/movies for you, which might be of use.

If you want to PM me the API call your using with a couple of rows of data I could probably use that to enter it into Emby and do the above it this would be of any help.

emveepee

You can still create an m3u output in V5 It was re-added in March when the security issues with it and with the Emby plugin where addressed.   Users can now decide if they want security disabled so they can run these URLs unauthenticated (also exposed to the Internet if the NextPVR port is opened).

The search I'd like you to search the EPG for is a movie title and see if Emby returns it is a program or movie as shown in my Halloween example at the bottom of the link posted above https://imgur.com/a/zSZK2Rd        

Martin

Edited by emveepee

pünktchen
10 minutes ago, emveepee said:

The search I'd like you to search the EPG for is a movie title and see if Emby returns it is a program or movie as shown in my Halloween example

What's wrong with it to return it as a program? If it would be returned as a movie, the user could not distinct between a real movie from the library and live tv programs, unless he goes to every details screen. That is contraproductive imho.

emveepee
49 minutes ago, pünktchen said:

What's wrong with it to return it as a program? If it would be returned as a movie, the user could not distinct between a real movie from the library and live tv programs, unless he goes to every details screen. That is contraproductive imho.

Nothing really wrong with it I just want to make sure I have the setting done right.  I don't fully agree with you though, since the "movie" on that screenshot was recorded from the same channel showing as a "program"  What made it "real"?

Martin

Right exactly, it's Programs just to be able to distinguish between library and live tv content. Although those progressive commercials saying "remember they're not programs, they're tv shows", kind of have me wanting to word it differently :)

Anyway back to the original question, please let me know if the ShowId change resolves everything. Thanks.

emveepee

Thanks not using Emby makes it a bit hard to code.  I get it now movies are recorded programs and episodes are recorded programs in their respective views.  I was curious about what an episode was.

So to close this off yes it works well I can drill down to a like named program (series or movie) and then further to the alternate showings of the specific upcoming episode or movie.

Martin

• Thanks 3

Red5ive

Thanks for all your work on this guys.

I of course would rather use the built in guide data and recording abilities in emby, but the fact that emby does not support my Hauppague DVBS sat cards and only the DVBT card (and even then only by having to install and run the WinTV suite) found that it was easier to set everything up in NextPVR and manage the tuners there.

NextPVR is rock solid and a doddle to set up channel lists and with the plugin for emby allowing an easy way to set recordings and manage those on any device it is the best of both worlds. Hopefully with the plugin now bringing in the correct data and the changes to the search on emby's side that should also be a lot easier to find the correct showing to record.