Emby user permissions on Synology NAS

DiEDeM
Go to solution Solved by FrostByte,

Hi all!

Actually a simple question, what access rights should the user "Emby" obtain on the folders containing media (photos, videos, movies, etc)? Are these just read permissions, read and write permissions, or read, write and delete permissions... or do I give this system user full permissions? What I certainly don't want is the user Emby messing around with my media files (like just deleting tet). And what if I have to give Emby delete permissions, will this give me absolute certainty that (for example in case of a bug) this will not happen? In short, what rights does Emby need?

Thank you!

screenshot_2724.thumb.png.11b27ce44963bd9ff236f5e2947f5c66.png

Hi, DSM 7 has a different permission setup then DSM 6 and lower versions so it's important to mentioned which versions of DSM you have installed on your Synology NAS.

• Solution
FrostByte

The only permissions you should have to set for emby when switching to DSM 7 are the Shared Folder permissions with read/write access.  However, emby is now a "System internal user" so make sure you click the drop down box first before changing.  Any old emby local users can be deleted under DSM 7

permissions.thumb.jpg.6441f037d97d7ca6cf495842817c0ae7.jpg

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
Safehaven

Hello,

I also have messages telling me "problems to access ... is denied". I checked the way @FrostByte showed above for the permission needed for Emby (Read/Write), but it is checked. I am at the point I think I will reinstalled Emby. Any suggestions before I reinstall everything? I uploaded the files.

Thanks!

Emby log.txt

FrostByte

Those permissions were for the media shares which are different.

Did you migrate from Emby being on DSM 6 to Emby being on DSM 7 now?  Because it looks like you may have missed the part of the instructions when using Putty to move your old system files to the new location and setting permissions.

• Like 1

Safehaven

Hello,

I migrated from one volume (Hds) to a new volume SSDs on the same nas. I did not migrate with putty. I just moved the Emby folder to the new volume where I reinstalled Emby. Is there a way to fix this or is it better to restart fresh with a new install?

Thanks.

On 1/21/2022 at 3:09 PM, Safehaven said:

Hello,

I migrated from one volume (Hds) to a new volume SSDs on the same nas. I did not migrate with putty. I just moved the Emby folder to the new volume where I reinstalled Emby. Is there a way to fix this or is it better to restart fresh with a new install?

Thanks.

HI, did you configure permissions for the system user based on the instructions above?

FrostByte
On 1/21/2022 at 3:09 PM, Safehaven said:

Hello,

Thanks.

After you move the files you also need to set the permissions as per the instructions.  If you look at the Putty section it shows you the new location to move the files and then it shows you how to change permissions.  Whether you use Putty or something else doesn't matter, but the logs indicate permission problems.

- copy files from old Emby share to new data location: 
cp -rv /volume1/Emby/* /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer

- adjust owner from copied files: 
chown -R emby:emby /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer

Safehaven

Hello,

I accessed my nas with the windows cmd but could not change the permissions as "emby/volume2/@appdata/Embyserver" could not be found (I logged as administrator). Instead I deleted the Emby file I moved and changed back the "saved folder" to the one by default. Everything work fine now.

I agree that it is highly probable the permissions were the issue, but now everything work fine.

Thank you for the support 😃

• Like 1

On 1/23/2022 at 1:02 PM, Safehaven said:

Hello,

I accessed my nas with the windows cmd but could not change the permissions as "emby/volume2/@appdata/Embyserver" could not be found (I logged as administrator). Instead I deleted the Emby file I moved and changed back the "saved folder" to the one by default. Everything work fine now.

I agree that it is highly probable the permissions were the issue, but now everything work fine.

Thank you for the support 😃

Just wanted to check in with you.

Everything still good?

Safehaven
18 hours ago, cayars said:

Just wanted to check in with you.

Everything still good?

Hello,

Yup everything works really well. I have been using emby on my nas with HDs the last 3 years. The SSD changed everything. I am really happy with the product.
Thank you!

• Like 2

Super, glad to hear it.  Totally agree that SSD have really changed storage a lot.