Another Performance Thread

DJX

Hi all

Sorry for another thread on this topic but looking for advice. Thanks to Cayers for responding to a DM already.

My setup:

DS920+ with 2x4gb WD 5400rpm Red Plus and 20GB RAM. Emby Beta installed with a library of home photos and videos.

LAN clients:

Samsung TV App & Android App & Web Client

Remote Clients:

Safari Web Clients & Chrome Web Client & Android App & Web Client

Problem Statement: Buffering on TV during direct play of videos and laggy when viewing photos. Remote clients also get lag due to SW transcoding of MP4 videos. 

So, how can improve this for as cheap as possible? I plan to get the nvidia shield pro or firestick to use with my TV because the Samsung TV player bug is causing phone videos to be stretched during playback. 

How can I improve loading of the images and transcoding of videos? Shall I buy a USB3 drive and install emby server on that and/or map to that drive for transcoding and cache instead? How do I know how big the USB drive should be? When my content grows does the drive need to bigger aswell ? What is suitable when my content is about 4GB of photos and videos? Any other options apart from m2 ssd for cache?

Hi again,

Do you have hardware transcoding turned on in Emby on the Synology 920+?

As per our PMs I run this same box and do not have any transcode issues, even when doing tone-mapping of 4K HDR media.
I use the Live TV/DVR feature a lot as well.

I should add that I've added 2 NVMe SSD "drives" to the 920+ setup in RAID for read/write caching.

So let us know what your transcoding setup is presently set to and we'll take it from there.

Edited by cayars
  • Like 1

Happy2Play

Not a Synology user but performance is night and day when you compare Emby running on HDD vs SSD/NVME.

• Like 3

I don't have Premiere anymore so no HW transcoding. So I would like to see how I can get best benefits with SW transcoding which is mainly hitting my remote users. For locally, I should be direct playing and my TV is hooked up to the router via Ethernet.

18 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Not a Synology user but performance is night and day when you compare Emby running on HDD vs SSD/NVME.

So that will help with my home photos loading faster especially ? 

FrostByte

Some good suggestions so far. 

The best solution of course is just don't transcode if you can at all possible.  Use compatible codecs and subtitle formats for your clients, or use a different client.  Transcoding because of bandwidth probably won't be avoidable unless you have multiple resolutions of your movies (4K for you and 1080p for your remote users).

Buy Premiere.  It's a shame you have a 4K gpu and aren't using it to its fullest when transcoding.  

Here's a couple things you can do for free:

Adjust the Emby cache level.  With 20gb of ram you should have plenty to raise it to 1024mb.

Vacuum your DB

I tried emby premiere and will debate buying lifetime. I only have home photos and videos so no films or anything with subtitles etc. 

I will look at upping the cache. In terms of vacuuming the DB. I did it once before. Does it need to be a regular task?

Thanks

Edited by DJX

FrostByte

To tell you the truth with as little it sounds you use it I'm not sure frequent vacuuming will change much.  Setting the cache might help images load faster

FrostByte
1 hour ago, DJX said:

Please can you advise how to up cache on a synology 

Are you on stable, or beta?  The latest beta allows you to do it within Emby server control panel.  If stable then you need to update the system.xml on your NAS

Edited by FrostByte
changed ini to xml

FrostByte

If using stable version of Emby look for and modify this line in the system.xml

<DatabaseCacheSizeMB>1024</DatabaseCacheSizeMB>

Edited by FrostByte
changed ini to xml

7 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Are you on stable, or beta?  The latest beta allows you to do it within Emby server control panel.  If stable then you need to update the system.ini on your NAS

BETA. Where can I see it?

FrostByte
9 minutes ago, DJX said:

BETA. Where can I see it?

Ok, if you have the latest beta then go to the settings page and look for Database on the left size.  

FrostByte

if you don't have the latest beta you can still update the system.xml.  That's all the web client does.

Edited by FrostByte
changed ini to xml

Why don't you have a remote person play something back off your system.

Then upload the server log and the ffmpeg file that playback created.

Both should be at the top of the Logs menu.

We can then look and see why the media is transcoding.

7 hours ago, cayars said:

Why don't you have a remote person play something back off your system.

Then upload the server log and the ffmpeg file that playback created.

Both should be at the top of the Logs menu.

We can then look and see why the media is transcoding.

Ok will try that. The reasons it's transcoding is because the media rate exceeds error. I have 4K MP4 home videos that they're trying to play on their mobile devices. I think my upload speed at home may been an issue aswell which is around 8MB. I know HW transcoding can make that abit better but my first main priority  is getting the images to load faster atleast.

For me it's local direct play videos and images. I wouldn't expect images to lag on my Samsung tv app so trying to fix this and as a biproduct helping videos be a little quicker is the first aim!  Also images loading on the remote users can be laggy aswell. I can hear my HDDs spin so maybe moving the cache and metadata to a USB3 SSD will help? I realised with synology we can't install emby app on an external drive right and I don't want to put a SSD into 1 of my 4 slots as I want them for WD Reds soon

Thanks

Hi, can you go to the detail screen of one of these media files and scroll down to the bottom of the page.
Take a screen shot of the Media Info section and post that here.

This will give us an idea what bitrates we're dealing with for the media files.
With only 8 Mb upload bitrate in total you probably have about 7 Mb usable.

The two main options to handle transcoding this type of situation is to:

• Transcode on the fly in real time.  This can be done in hardware or software. GPU is far less system intensive.
  • Pre-Transcode each file to have multiple versions available for direct playback. You could for example have the original 4K, a 6 or 7 Mb 1080 version for streaming to big streams and a 2 to 4 Mb version optimized for small screens maybe at 720.

Emby can do both of the above.

Have added the screenshots. 

In terms of transcoding on the fly. Would it be faster if I had a USB 3.0 SSD and change the transcoding path to that, rather than it being done on my HDDs? 

Screenshot_20211007-142203_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20211007-142155_Samsung Internet.jpg

Would it be faster if I had a USB 3.0 SSD and change the transcoding path to that, rather than it being done on my HDDs? 

You can try, but there's no guarantee it will make any difference.