Stutter issues streaming from remote webdav server

Embynils

Embynils

Hi,

I'm having playback problems (stutter) on Emby in a specific setup:

Emby server running on QNAP TS251, playback on several devices, mainly a Sony TV running Android
Some media files are on the QNAP (playback without issues)
Some media files are on a remote WebDAV server. I've mounted the WebDAV server on the QNAP using HybridMount. When playing a file from the WebDAV server, it takes a very long time before it starts playing, and when it does the video stutters from time to time and there are sync issues (video-audio).

I also have a mediaplayer running KODI (a Minix device), also with the WebDAV server mounted. When I play a remote video file on KODI, it starts instantly and runs without stutter. So the issues on QNAP are not caused by bandwith problems.

I've tried to figure out what the problem is checking the Emby Server logs, but I don't understand what everything means. I see several errors that appear in the log when I play a remote video: 
Error PortMapper: Error creating port map, Error encoding image, Error Server: Error processing request, to name a few. But I don't understand what they mean, and wouldn't know what to do to fix them. Can anyone help? I'll gladly send logs in a DM, but I'd rather not put them in this post because they contain a lot of info about my network that I don't want to be online forever.

Cheers
Nils

Hi there, please try lowering the in-app quality setting. If you're seeing stuttering then the majority of the time this is an indication that the bitrate is too high for the network connection.

Please try this and let us know if it helps. If it doesn't then let's look at an example:

Thanks.

Embynils

Hi Luke,

Thanks for your suggestion. I've tried lowering the bitrate, and it helps. Turns out that bandwidth was the problem after all: playing a remotely hosted video on Emby almost completely chokes my internet connection. Lowering the bitrate fixes that problem. Two questions though:

- As I mentioned above, I have media files stored locally on my QNAP, and remotely on a WebDAV server. Lowering the bitrate in the app will decrease playback quality also for the files stored locally, even though they were never affected by the stutter problem. Is there a way to adjust this per source?

- I've checked the downstream throughput of my modem while playing a remotely hosted video file, first on Kodi (on Minix media player) and then on Emby (on QNAP). Playing on Kodi, network throughput is about 15 Mbit/s. Playing the exact same file on Emby puts the network load at about 60 Mbit/s. Is there a fundamental difference in the way Kodi en Emby stream a remotely hosted media file? 

See attached screenshot. First playing in Kodi, then nothing (while switching players), then playing the same file in Emby.

Cheers

Nils

screenshot.png

Edited by Embynils

Happy2Play

Best guess would be capabilities of Kodi vs Sony TV app.  But devs would need to see the ffmpeg if present and server log for a specific example.

Remember the Emby apps are not going directly to your webdav. They're going through your Emby Server, which is going to the webdav. So that extra layer is why you might need to lower the quality setting compared to a standalone app that might use your webdav directly.

Embynils

Hi Luke,

Yeah I can imagine the extra layer is adding complexity (and network load). Is there a way to have Emby connect directly to the webdav, in stead of having to mount it first as a local directory? That would be much easier to set up (QNAP HybridMount is far from ideal) and probably better for playback in Emby.

Cheers
Nils