Add PC drive to server

crusher11

crusher11

Is there a way I can add a drive/folder on my PC to a server running on my NAS? I've shared it, but when I select "Network" in the library settings to pick a folder it comes up empty.

Hi crusher11,

On Synology you need to mount the folder first.
image.png.de5bca818b66f85d66717fbc3934bf5f.png

image.png.cb0345a21fc686b1f2373a6028dccbbb.png

In File Station use the Tools menu->Mount Remote Folder->CIFS Shared Folder.

This will allow you to pick the share from the windows machine, setup the user and password to login as well as allow you to mount this to a volume.  In Emby you just use that mount point as usual.

If you can't get the remote shared folder to work check both Windows and Synology to make sure they are using a common CIFS version.

• Like 1

crusher11

Well that...sort of works. It's mounted, at least, but it's slowed everything to a crawl, when trying to navigate when adding the folder to Emby or even when just browsing my library folders in Windows Explorer. I tried to open one of my video files a couple of minutes ago and it's still loading.

Just being mounted should not slow down your PC in the least if the share isn't being used.

If a program such as Emby is doing a full scan such as when a new library is added on that share, then you may experience a  some slow down as your PC is acting like a file server and there is likely a lot of network activity.

Once you're done the initial scan, you should hardly notice.

crusher11
9 minutes ago, cayars said:

Just being mounted should not slow down your PC in the least if the share isn't being used.

If a program such as Emby is doing a full scan such as when a new library is added on that share, then you may experience a  some slow down as your PC is acting like a file server and there is likely a lot of network activity.

Once you're done the initial scan, you should hardly notice.

It stayed suuuper slow (like, dragging a video file into MKVToolnix took about 30 seconds instead of loading instantly) even after I unmounted. Had to reboot the NAS.

Still can't get it to mount now, though. No idea why, I haven't touched any of the settings on either end.

Patience is key when working with network devices and software.  Depending on your Synology settings your NAS might be indexing the new folder added to it.  It could be scanning for music, for photos or other things depending on what you have setup and running on that box.

That's before you ever try and use the share in Emby.

What you should do is look at the logs on Synology and Windows to see what accessing the share instead of just removing it.  Otherwise you're back to square one.

Try rebooting the PC to connect again from Synology.  If that doesn't work, reboot the NAS as well.  One of those should reset the connection to allow you to setup the remote folder again.