Progress bar confusing

pschweig

pschweig

Hi

I am using Mediaportal and the plugin for Emby. I have done a few test recordings and I have found the progress bar at the bottom doesn't seem to make much sense. Sometimes the numbers are changing as the recording starts to play. In the screenshot below I started viewing a recorded show on iOS and scanned forward to around the middle.

What do the numbers on either side of the progress bar represent? I presume time watched on left and total time on right. Scrolling the green circle on the bar changes the numbers but I can't work out what they show. See below for the left and right numbers at the start and when I forwarded once and then again.

Start: 0:11 1:03

Forward 1: 0:33 1:12

Forward 2: 1:48 0:07

Sometimes it seems as the the end of the progress bar doesn't represent the end of the show - rather just the end of what it has "downloaded" so far. Scrolling to the end of the progress bar then causes the next chunk to appear and the number on the right changes.

Any help appreciated. thanks

Screenshot 2021-10-05 at 21.38.51.png

Spaceboy

number on the left represents time from start

number on the right represents the length of video the player has remaining to play. typically this would be to the end of the media file, but as you have seen, when the video is transcoded it is delivered in incremental amounts by the server and as such the player can only play to the end of what it currently has

pschweig

Interesting thank you.

Why would it be transcoding though? Wouldn't Emby play the video captured from Freeview (UK) over the local network natively?

Also even if it is transcoding we still need the progress bar to work correctly. It should display the progress within the main recorded file - not the chunk it is currently transcoding. What if I want to skip to the end of the main recording? Is that not possible because I can only skip to the end of the currently transcoded video?

Is this a change that could be made?

thanks

pünktchen

The problem is as long as you haven't played the recording, Emby doesn't know about the video duration. I think i'm providing this with the plugin, but Emby doesn't make any use of it. It purely relies on mediainfo from ffprobe that happens with the first playback attempt.

pschweig

Wouldn't that be near instantaneous though? So the worst case scenario would be incorrect numbers for a second or two until the correct details were returned from ffprobe? Emby seems to have strange figures persistently - even on subsequent plays of the same file.

If I look at the file in windows it gives me the duration when I hover the mouse over it.

Is it possible for Emby to return the correct duration and progress for a recording?

I see this behaviour with completed recordings too. I noticed that recordings are tagged as livestream in the MediaPortal Recordings library.

If I add the recordings folder as a library in Emby the recordings play as expected showing full duration, and do not have the livestream tag.

4 minutes ago, IanF said:

I see this behaviour with completed recordings too. I noticed that recordings are tagged as livestream in the MediaPortal Recordings library.

If I add the recordings folder as a library in Emby the recordings play as expected showing full duration, and do not have the livestream tag.

It's probably a quirk when going through the plugin. If you just setup a regular library for your recordings then this won't happen.

pschweig

Hi I tried setting up a library which points at my recording directory but the problem still happens. Is there another workaround or a fix possible?

If I need to set up a library would I need to wait for the libraries to rescan for media before new recordings appear? If so, seems rather clunky. How would I watch an inprogress recording?

thanks

Hi, did you wait for the library scan to finish before trying? Make sure to access the recording from the new recordings library that you created. Did you do that, or did you access it from somewhere else? 

• 4 weeks later...
pschweig

Hi Luke - just got back onto this. Testing playing a finished recording the progress bar works correctly when playing through the Emby library that points to my recordings directory.

Playing from the Recordings sub menu of Live TV gives the strange numbers where it looks like it's giving the duration of the currently transcoded (?) chunk.

Using the separate recordings library makes this difficult to use especially for the rest of my family. e.g. do I have to wait for the library to rescan to access my recordings? Might be overnight. Also what about recordings in progress. I'd like to be able to watch these from the beginning via the Live TV menu.

Is it possible that the progress bar will work correctly from the Live TV recordings sub menu in a future update?

thanks

3 hours ago, pschweig said:

Is it possible that the progress bar will work correctly from the Live TV recordings sub menu in a future update?

thanks

Hi, yes we'll be reworking the way we get this information from plugins, but in the meantime, importing as a regular Emby library is recommended. Thanks for the feedback.