Select shows don't have smooth playback

saltedhash
Go to solution Solved by FrostByte,

saltedhash

Hello,

Not sure if this is Samsung specific or not, but thought I would start here since right now I'm only experiencing this on my Samsung smart tv. Random tv shows don't play back smoothly, but I haven't figured out why based on the app or video settings. I say random because it seems to be a growing issue where shows don't have smooth playback only on the Samsung app, even if they have the same video configuration as a show that does have smooth playback. I have provided an example below with the log file (no transcoding log since it direct plays), images of the settings and a quick video showing what happens in person. This is episode 3 of the show and both episode 1 and 2 played back completely fine, which have the exact same audio/video configuration. All are direct playing and there are no bandwidth issues between devices. I tested this exact file/episode on Windows, Chrome, Firestick and Roku and there is smooth playback on all of these (with direct play), so that's what makes me think its something specific in the Samsung app that is wonky. Messing around I tried to lower the quality to where it forced transcoding and it seemed to play fine that way which is weird and i'll let the admins decide if that is meaningful. Obviously I don't want to watch shows at 480p and would prefer to direct stream at full quality.

Please let me know if I need to provide anything else.

Thanks!

DirectPlay.png

AudioVideo.PNG

embyserver.txt

FrostByte

Is the pic of your mediainfo the complete pic?  Reason being Samsung TVs have an issue playing video with numerous tracks (something like 30).  You will get choppy playback even when the file direct plays.  Fix is to remux taking out the tracks you don't need like subtitles for other languages.

• Like 1

saltedhash
1 minute ago, FrostByte said:

Is the pic of your mediainfo the complete pic?  Reason being Samsung TVs have an issue playing video with numerous tracks (something like 30).  You will get choppy playback even when the file direct plays.  Fix is to remux taking out the tracks you don't need like subtitles for other languages.

I didn't include the subtitle tracks as there are over 30, which aligns with what you're saying. Both episode 1 and 2 also have over 30 subtitle tracks and they play completely fine. Is this issue just a sporadic thing with Samsung TVs?

I wish there was an easy way to remux all files where there is a general setting to strip all subtitles that don't meet a specific requirement (e.g. English only). I'd prefer to not do this manually per every file I toss into my media pool, but almost have it be a job that runs once the file hits the pool.

Thank you for your response.

• Solution
FrostByte

I'm not sure if it's sporadic or not as I no longer auto feed my libraries and curate everything before adding it.  I do remember reading an article on the Samsung developers page awhile back about the issue and the fix I saw was to remux the file.  @SamES has helped a few people with the problem recently also so I know it's still an issue with newer models. 

As a test I would remux one to see if it helps.  If I remember correctly 30 was the total of all tracks (video + audio + subtitles) so I would just get rid of whatever you don't need and retry. 

Edited by FrostByte
  • Thanks 1

SamES

Yes, I would suggest this is the issue (@FrostByte, good guess without seeing all the media info!).  More than 30 may work in some cases, but it's more luck than anything else.

I would try and strip out any subs you don't need.

MkvToolNix will help you do this easily for mkv files

• Like 2

saltedhash

Great call - I used MkvToolNix and removed the unneeded subtitles. Now the file plays fine. I appreciate the quick assistance and resolution.

I suppose part 2 of this would be...is there a way to automate stripping out unneeded subtitles of my files? I really don't want to go in 1 by 1 as I run into this issue and manually change each file. That could become a full time job. A while back I did submit a feature request to do this directly in Emby's convert feature, but I understand that may be some time before something like that could be handled natively.

Thanks again!

Happy2Play

Will have to look as a subtitle script has come up before and users have posted in random topics.

But a quick google would be something like this.

Remove all tracks except for "und" and "eng" : mkvtoolnix (reddit.com)

**Only thing with that script is it remuxs to a different folder.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 2

FrostByte

Do you know how to use PowerShell scripts?  I've got one from the tools section here.  It's kind of set up for retaining eng subs, but I'm sure it can be modified for other languages if needed.  It's a little more involved than the solution H2P found though

• Like 2

saltedhash
2 hours ago, FrostByte said:

Do you know how to use PowerShell scripts?  I've got one from the tools section here.  It's kind of set up for retaining eng subs, but I'm sure it can be modified for other languages if needed.  It's a little more involved than the solution H2P found though

I would say I'm entry level when it comes to PowerShell. I'll probably take a look at GUI tools that H2P linked. I appreciate the help!

saltedhash

Alright all of you are amazing. I tried out MKV Optimizer and loaded a few batches of files and it worked perfectly and now all of the shows that wouldn't play on Samsung now do. 

You fixed/helped me understand the intermittent Samsung TV issue where there is an issue with smooth playback when there are more than 30 tracks and you gave me a great solution to mass remove unneeded subtitles so my suspect files can now play normally.

I greatly appreciate you all! Thank you!

Edited by saltedhash
  • Like 1

saltedhash

It sounds like a known issue that happens here and there. I can't tell based on SamES's response if its specific to Samsung or specific to the Emby app developed for Samsung. I'd be curious if this happens on Plex for Samsung or any similar media player. 

SamES

The issue is the Samsung player which we utilise in this app.  So I would say this is Samsung specific, but not something we can change in the app.  

• Like 2