TV won't play videos smoothly

jglazer63

jglazer63

I have a relatively new (2 year old) 65" smart samsung TV that has problems playing some videos.  I just watched a movie and the only way I could do it on the TV was to cast it from my phone to the TV which played it flawlessly.  The TV has .94 of Emby.  Is there any way to improve this?  It has a direct network connection to the server (wired) which happens to be a NAS drive directly next to the TV.  The samsung phone I used is wireless to the same server, no issues.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Happy2Play
7 minutes ago, jglazer63 said:

The TV has .94 of Emby.

Isn't that like 10 versions behind the current version 1.1.04?

Emby for Samsung Smart TV - Emby

But a Samsung user would have to comment more.

You will probably need to go over a specific example to include server and ffmpeg logs if present for your example.

• Like 1

FrostByte

Is the movie transcoding or streaming?  Check SFN to see if it's doing anything other than Direct Playing.

Please post any server and transcode/remux logs during playback when you're having issues

Most of the time this type of issue is because of unsupported subtitles or audio being played which  of course requires converting.

And yes, you are 10 versions behind the rest of us if you want to upgrade.

jglazer63

`

10 hours ago, FrostByte said:

Is the movie transcoding or streaming?  Check SFN to see if it's doing anything other than Direct Playing.

Please post any server and transcode/remux logs during playback when you're having issues

Most of the time this type of issue is because of unsupported subtitles or audio being played which  of course requires converting.

And yes, you are 10 versions behind the rest of us if you want to upgrade.

I would love to upgrade to the latest version.  I thought the system would keep me up to date on its own?  How do I go about doing the upgrade?  I have a Samsung 8 Series UN65KS8500FXZA

Edited by jglazer63

FrostByte

Ahh, your TV model is a little older than a couple years :)  The KS is a 2016 model.  Unfortunately, Samsung is no longer supporting 2016 and older TVs or taking app submissions for them.  So that's why you haven't seen an update in awhile.

Your only option now if you want to update would be to load the latest version from USB.  However, the USB installs have one drawback in that Samsung requires a 30-day timer set in the app where it becomes no longer functional 30 days after compiling (they are forcing app devs to use the store for distribution and use USB for testing only).  It's the same app, but you have to download a new version every 30 days.  So, I guess it's really up to you, but eventually your old version may not work fully because of changes with server.

Samsung Tizen SmartTV (2015 - Present) Beta app Install from USB - Samsung Smart TV - Emby Community

My guess though is that your problem is most likely a result of trying to burn in PGS subs or the use of some other unsupported format of subs/audio.

Edited by FrostByte

jglazer63
3 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Ahh, your TV model is a little older than a couple years :)  The KS is a 2016 model.  Unfortunately, Samsung is no longer supporting 2016 and older TVs or taking app submissions for them.  So that's why you haven't seen an update in awhile.

Your only option now if you want to update would be to load the latest version from USB.  However, the USB installs have one drawback in that Samsung requires a 30-day timer set in the app where it becomes no longer functional 30 days after compiling (they are forcing app devs to use the store for distribution and use USB for testing).  It's the same app, but you have to download a new version every 30 days.  So, I guess it's really up to you, but eventually your old version may not work fully because of changes on the server.

Samsung Tizen SmartTV (2015 - Present) Beta app Install from USB - Samsung Smart TV - Emby Community

My guess though is that your problem is most likely a result of trying to burn in PGS subs or the use of some other unsupported format of subs/audio.

Can you explain PGS subs?  I used to be heavy into encoding video about 20 years ago and I know a lot of things have changed but I do have a few newer tools that would allow me to re-encode using a variety of codecs.   

Thanks for the help on the version.  I swear I got this new from best buy less than 5 years ago but then I can't remember what I had for breakfast .. unless I burp :)

Sux about the usb upgrade.  I hate to spend the $$ on a new TV just because of this.  Sounds like a anti-trust issue.

FrostByte

PGS subs are a graphical (bitmap) type subtitle which Samsung TVs don't support and thus the server must burn them in during playback in order for you to see them.  This process is very cpu intensive.  Samsung does support text type subtitles like SRT, etc.  Most movies from disc are PGS so you need to make or acquire text versions in order to play on a Samsung if your movie doesn't already have them

jungle.thumb.png.5e170ac8ae9217738db265643d1b62dc.png

In your users manual you should see a supported subtitle chart like the one below.  Anything not on the list will require conversion.  The higher the bitrate of the movie the slower things become

subs.jpg.306127a947cb3df641dcfd8d76dae984.jpg

Though not as bad on cpu resources modifying audio on the fly can also cause what looks like a buffering issue with high bitrate movies.  You should also see a chart like this in your manual for supported audio formats

SEK2000.jpg.ca329d1c7ad99ddd20f54712cda123d5.jpg

For best result always use the drop down box for audio and subtitles and change them to a supported format before clicking Play so you movie Direct Plays.  You can see if it's direct playing or transcoding by choosing Stats for Nerds during playback.  Luckily, the server can remember your choices if you don't set the correct defaults yourself before playing

I think it's more of a money issue myself.  They want you to buy a new TV every 5 years and they charge apps developers to review their apps and upload to the store.  Just my guess though

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

FrostByte

However, I could be way off too on the problem.  Only way to really tell for sure is to check SFN and/or logs.

Edited by FrostByte

1 hour ago, FrostByte said:

Your only option now if you want to update would be to load the latest version from USB.  However, the USB installs have one drawback in that Samsung requires a 30-day timer set in the app where it becomes no longer functional 30 days after compiling (they are forcing app devs to use the store for distribution and use USB for testing only).  It's the same app, but you have to download a new version every 30 days.  So, I guess it's really up to you, but eventually your old version may not work fully because of changes with server.

Is this the same reason that I'm on 1.0.97? Mine is the UE50RU7400UXXU

FrostByte
25 minutes ago, DJX said:

Is this the same reason that I'm on 1.0.97? Mine is the UE50RU7400UXXU

Right now it's just 2016 and older TVs that Samsung won't accept new app submissions for anymore.  Since your TV is a 2019 that isn't a problem since it's not 5 years old yet

I assume you live in Europe because of your model number and either live in the UK or changed your region in order to get the app from the store?

If you're not seeing anything newer when looking at the Samsung store and should then it's possible the current app is still in review (it's different for every year and group as they test each different).  I don't have access to what the latest version for a 2019 STANDARD model is, but Luke or @SamES should

You can also load the USB version if you want the latest and don't mind reinstalling every month

7 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Right now it's just 2016 and older TVs that Samsung won't accept new app submissions for anymore.  Since your TV is a 2019 that isn't a problem since it's not 5 years old yet

I assume you live in Europe because of your model number and either live in the UK or changed your region in order to get the app from the store?

If you're not seeing anything newer when looking at the Samsung store and should then it's possible the current app is still in review (it's different for every year and group as they test each different).  I don't have access to what the latest version for a 2019 STANDARD model is, but Luke or @SamES should

You can also load the USB version if you want the latest and don't mind reinstalling every month

Yes I am in the UK and I get the app from the store. Will see what Luke or Sam say as it usually auto updates. 

Thanks but I'll stay away from the manual option if I can :)

• Like 1

According to our Samsung developer console, the only models still on 1.0.94 are 2016's and we can no longer submit updates for them. So for those, you'll need to embrace the USB install method in order to get the latest version of the app.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Luke said:

According to our Samsung developer console, the only models still on 1.0.94 are 2016's and we can no longer submit updates for them. So for those, you'll need to embrace the USB install method in order to get the latest version of the app.

What is the latest version available for my 2019 model? It hasn't updated to the latest. Thanks

9 minutes ago, DJX said:

What is the latest version available for my 2019 model? It hasn't updated to the latest. Thanks

In the store  it's 1.0.97, but 1.1.03 has been approved and is waiting for Samsung to launch it. The USB install is also available for manual install.

• Like 1

jglazer63
1 minute ago, Luke said:

In the store  it's 1.0.97, but 1.1.03 has been approved and is waiting for Samsung to launch it. The USB install is also available for manual install.

But you have to reinstall ever 30 days for older TVs.  That's ridiculous

9 minutes ago, jglazer63 said:

But you have to reinstall ever 30 days for older TVs.  That's ridiculous

Of course we'd like a better install method, and we are pursuing that. We're doing the best we can given the cards that have been dealt to us.

• Like 1

jglazer63

Oh I know its not you guys.  Horrible choice on the part of samsung.  WIll make me reconsider purchasing their equipment in the future.

FrostByte
1 minute ago, jglazer63 said:

Oh I know its not you guys.  Horrible choice on the part of samsung.  WIll make me reconsider purchasing their equipment in the future.

I would just stick with your current version until it no longer works :)

Did you figure out your issue with some movies not playing back smoothly?

If not, let us know what SFN says and post any logs.

jglazer63

I am re-encoding them with a less taxing codec.  I think I'll just have to stick with this until I can change out the TV lol.   Samsung wins!  ... Thinking of going to LG ...

Happy2Play

Without know OP media info it is hard to say but seeing this stat almost all HEVC would transcode.

image.png.515f6c601e4c30733732b570d9992c48.png

• Like 1

FrostByte
9 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Without know OP media info it is hard to say but seeing this stat almost all HEVC would transcode.

image.png.515f6c601e4c30733732b570d9992c48.png

That is a pic from my old 1080P Samsung user manual :) Just used it as an example of what to look for in users manual 

• Like 1

SamES
2 hours ago, jglazer63 said:

I am re-encoding them with a less taxing codec.  I think I'll just have to stick with this until I can change out the TV lol.   Samsung wins!  ... Thinking of going to LG ...

Just be aware that LG users have their own issues.  They have no side-loading/USB install ability at all and haven't had an update in their store for a year.  Current (2021) LG models have no way of installing the app.

To be honest, I've not really seen anything that a K series model can't play that a newer model can.  Actually K-series (2016) can DirectPlay DTS, but not models from 2018 onwards, so in some ways K-series is more capable.  

I can't see why you would want to switch from Samsung to LG.  USB updates can be annoying, but at least you can have the latest version always (and newer than the store version).

If you want to spend money and have current/easy updates and support as many formats as possible then most would recommend you buy an Nvidia Shield Pro and keep your current TV.

As far as I can see, you haven't provided the media info or any logs for your issue, so we might be jumping ahead here as we could quickly determine your issue based on the logs.

Can you please provide any log files and the media information for an example?

• Like 1

jglazer63
12 hours ago, SamES said:

Just be aware that LG users have their own issues.  They have no side-loading/USB install ability at all and haven't had an update in their store for a year.  Current (2021) LG models have no way of installing the app.

To be honest, I've not really seen anything that a K series model can't play that a newer model can.  Actually K-series (2016) can DirectPlay DTS, but not models from 2018 onwards, so in some ways K-series is more capable.  

I can't see why you would want to switch from Samsung to LG.  USB updates can be annoying, but at least you can have the latest version always (and newer than the store version).

If you want to spend money and have current/easy updates and support as many formats as possible then most would recommend you buy an Nvidia Shield Pro and keep your current TV.

As far as I can see, you haven't provided the media info or any logs for your issue, so we might be jumping ahead here as we could quickly determine your issue based on the logs.

Can you please provide any log files and the media information for an example?

No I didn't provide media info or logs because I was at work when I posted all this and forgot when I got home.  Given that I was able to re-encode and it works fine and my many many other videos all work I am betting it is the text stream as you suggested from the beginning.  I appreciate your help.

• Like 1