ServerWMC stops streaming around 20min in

breezytm

breezytm

Guys,

How come with SWMC I can watch non-stop live tv in xbmc but on the MB web client I can only watch it for 10 seconds or less before it stops and never resumed? Also recordings looks very pixelated as if they are being transcoded, is that indeed true?

Edited by breezytm

swindmiller

I am streaming Live TV (ServerWMC) to my Surface Pro2 thru the website and it works great but seems to stop around 20min into the stream.

I am attaching my log hoping the problem can be figured out.

This is what I get right as it stops:

2014-09-05 23:04:11.1419 Error - App: Error streaming media. The client has most likely disconnected or transcoding has failed.
	Unable to write data to the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.

Here is most of the log....was too big to paste the whole thing, let me know if you need more:

http://pastebin.com/BCScsNPB

and here is the transcode log:

http://pastebin.com/2ftM9F66

Thanks,

Scott

Edited by swindmiller

breezytm

I would rather not mess with my settings since live tv in xbmc with pvr.wmc works great but doesn't work in MB web client. The issue cannot possibly be SWMC.

Lastly my HTPC is low powered; therefore, no transcoding. Since MBS is transcoding I am guessing that boat sailed for me. Why transcode the stream? Krusty perhaps you should remux in the back end for MBS like you do with XBMC.

krustyreturns

We treat mbs the same as xbmc, meaning that we still remux to a ts stream that gets sent to both.  MBS transcodes (I think) in order to stream to devices with a smaller pipe.  I do think it might be nice to have an option in MBS to turn transcoding off for live tv, since it seems to come up frequently.  But the MBS team needs to make sure these things fit with their overall architecture.

You raise a good point, I totally understand not wanting to change any settings that affect xbmc.  If you look further down that thread though, you will see another poster who got rid of the problem on the mbs side by change the bit rate.  Might be worth looking at before you throw in the towel.  Lack of horsepower on the server side might still be a problem though.

I do think there is some underlying issue with streams stopping early in MBS that is not getting fully addressed.  But its hard to reproduce and because of that I think the MBS team has had trouble debugging it.  XMBC never has this problem because it is waiting for our addon (in mbs speak: plugin) to tell it when there is data available.  MBS doesn't work this way, the transcode program is deciding whether the stream is alive or not and I think this is where the problem is.

breezytm

@Krusty, I'll do some more reading. Thanks.

Yes my server is low powered but it is running my WMC with SWMC which is the backend to both of my XBMC clients. No issues. I honestly think the problem is with the transcoding. By the way I turned off remuxing to save space. I haven't seen any issues so far. It's been a week.

Oh by the way Dev, if you guys are considering turning off transcoding, can ya make it a global setting. I would also like to turn off channel transcoding.

breezytm

The highest bitrate I have in web client is 720p - 10Mbps. Live TV bitrate can not possibly this low. But unfortunately he didn't mention which bitrate he is using.

Edited by breezytm

swindmiller

Sorry I did not see this thread when I posted mine.... sorry for duplicating.

I tried increasing the buffer for the livetv stream as suggested and that did not seem to help, I also have mine set to 2mb 720p and it still cuts off.

I can watch stuff from my Media Browser library but just seem to have issues with LiveTV. I at first thought the issue was because I was using wireless for my Surface but everything besides livetv seems fine.

I would love to be able to get this to work. I was using a Slingbox which worked well but this is so much easier with everything in one place :)

Thanks,

Scott

Edited by swindmiller

swindmiller

Trying to test different things. I loaded up XBMC on the same PC and streamed for an hour before I stopped it myself. I did have times where it would need to buffer for a second or less, I watched my wireless signal drop down during this time (drop lower but not completely out). I assume I would have better results on wired but just wanted to see if the streaming would stop or not. My wireless speed ranged from 20-30mbps and when it would drop lower for a second I would get the buffering.

What I really want is to be able to reliably watch from a remote location thru my phone or tablet, this is where MB would come in since I can't do this with XBMC. I assume that if the stream is transcoded and buffered in case of small drop outs and limited upload speeds that the stream will continue. I read the notes on the new beta of MBS and it looks like transcoding has been tweaked so I am hoping this will help.

Do I have all of this correct?

Thanks,

Scott