We miss Locast, what to replace it with?

Bingie

Bingie

Hi everyone,

We like to watch local news every morning.  Since Locast shut down, I've been looking for a good replacement.  So far, no luck.

We have Spectrum Internet.  I just added the Spectrum Cable TV (Roku app) 7-day trial.  It's terrible.  Super expensive, lousy interface, not at all intuitive, super slow to change channels, no tv guide to future shows.  Going to cancel it.

Just added Hulu Live, we love sports, so Hulu actually has very good NFL coverage, but only one local news channel???????  ARGH!  We don't watch news 9 very much, we prefer 4 and 5 here in Los Angeles.

Still looking :(

Wow, I never realized how great Locast was, until we lost it.  I tried a local digital tv antenna, but it doesn't work very well where we're at.

Still need a streaming solution for local channels.

Bingie

Hot damn!  Hulu does have our local news 5 channel after all.  YAY!  It showed up on the live stuff, because the news is actually on right now.  Channel 4 news is over, so I don't see an option to watch it.  I'll check tomorrow morning for channel 4 news.  If it's there, we'll stay with Hulu Live.  Even at $69/month, it's cheaper than the Spectrum over $100/month, and better too.  Hulu app is quick, smart, remembers stuff, has viewing guides and schedules.  Pretty happy with Hulu Live so far.

We'll see how watching football this weekend goes with Hulu Live.  I hope it goes well.

One2Go

Went to https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps plus also to https://www.rabbitears.info/search.php as well as this Reddit post https://www.reddit.com/r/cordcutters/wiki/quickguide but notice that the TVFool site no longer works well. Selected a powerful antenna in the attic and can receive over 60 channels 30 miles south of Washington DC.

In addition I do have Paramount+ with no advertising and I get the local CBS station.

Bingie

Hmm

Two recommendations to get an antenna.  I already said antenna reception is not good where we live.  We're in an apartment complex, so we can't install ANYTHING outside, and we don't have an attic.  I tried one of those digital antennas you hang in your window, but it only gets a few channels, and reliability changes from second to second.  And yes, I tried every window.  It sucks.

Oh well, I guess I'll keep checking streaming services.

Gilgamesh_48
5 hours ago, Bingie said:

We have Spectrum Internet.  I just added the Spectrum Cable TV (Roku app) 7-day trial.  It's terrible.  Super expensive, lousy interface, not at all intuitive, super slow to change channels, no tv guide to future shows.  Going to cancel it.

I too have Spectrum internet and have added TV. I spent some time researching and I found that, at least for the promotional period (between one and two years) the total cost of TV+Internet+Mobil is less than any similar package I could find.

Also I find that the "guide" on Spectrum's Roku app to be pretty usable and not really any slower than most other TV apps on the Roku. However Spectrum provided me with an Apple TV box and, although I detest it for almost everything else, it works very well for Spectrum TV.

Of course I use a quite inexpensive phone setup as I do not use data on my phone so I can have a very basic package that runs about $19.00/month but I do have their top internet package. The total for everything, TV+internet+phone is about $110.00/month.

I cannot find a more reliable service or combination of services that gives me everything I need/want for anything close to the combined price.

I may have to rethink this when my promotional period runs out but even then Spectrum's full package like I currently have seems like it will be at least competitive with others.

It is well to keep in mind, when calculating costs, that you must take everything into account:
Internet - at the speeds that will really give you the comfort you need.
Phone - Cell+Home(If you need a land line which I do not)
TV - I need just the basics here but I also need some sports.

Note: Due to being a soccer (Real football) fan I have found the need for a few additional premium services in particular Peacock, Paramount + and ESPN +.

I figure it this way. At my age I do not really need "party" money and I an not supporting anyone else and my basic needs are quite simple. so my only real entertainment expense is my TV services and even being on a fixed income I do not run out of money each month.

One more thing: What I am doing may well not work as well for others but it does for me. Also I have no automobile expenses at all as I use an electric scooter for basic getting around and public transportation for all other "getting around" needs.

The bottom line is that Spectrum is a pretty good service but, to get good prices, you have to shop a bit and remain on top of changes when promotional periods end so that the bill will not spike. When your promotion)s) run out if you contact Spectrum they will often give you another promotion if you threaten to change TV services. But be sure you are really willing to change in case Spectrum calls your bluff.

• Like 1