M3U From Subscription Service

TheWERLD

Hello friends I need to pick your brain. Silly question, If I purchase a service that allows me to download an M3U playlist full of channels and up to 5 streams can I have more than 5 people viewing the streams from Emby? If not, how do they know multiple streams are being viewed from my Emby account? Wouldn't it look like I'm watching 1 stream from Emby? This is not my cup of tea so please enlighten me. 

Each different channel/station you or one of your users watches is a separate stream with a different URL.  Your provider will know how many streams are being fed to your IP.

What they won't know is how many people are using your server.  Emby can do some cool things.  So for example if you have a plan that allows 5 connections that could be 5 different people all watching something different.  You could have 2 recordings going and 3 people watching other stations.

Now where this gets cooler:

It's Sunday at 1 PM and your Emby DVR starts recording both CBS and FOX since you set it to record the 2 football games.  You also watch one of the games and 4 friends login to use your TV and they happen to also watch one of the two games.  Now you have 7 people/dvr all watching two streams.  You still have 3 streams available if needed because Emby shared the 2 incoming streams with the DVR and people watching the same channel.

During a typical night 3 people all watch Fox News on your system but that's only 1 provider stream you're using.

Hope that helps,
Carlo

TheWERLD

Thank you Cayars, so each streaming device will have a different IP/URL and therefore the provider will know. Do you know if all the streams will appear to be from one  location since the source is Emby?

4 hours ago, TheWERLD said:

Thank you Cayars, so each streaming device will have a different IP/URL and therefore the provider will know. Do you know if all the streams will appear to be from one  location since the source is Emby?

They will appear to be from the server machine.

• Agree 1

Yes all streams go through your Emby Server so to the provider they are all your home/WAN IP address.

That is how Emby can share one stream like ESPN to multiple people on Emby all watching that same channel.