One specific video starting and stopping, unwatchable

JKjkJKjkJKjk
Go to solution Solved by FrostByte,

JKjkJKjkJKjk

I don't understand enough about transcoding or manipulating the stream settings (I leave it on 'auto' unless it acts like this, and sometimes I play around and pick something low like 720p/5mbps and it'll help) but in this case nothing helps. Trying to play it on auto sets it to 1080p/60mbps, I have long waits between play and play is only a few seconds at most. It seems the whole app slows down, I'm assuming because of transcoding dragging it all, and sometimes it will even freeze up and I have to restart the TV. Is there a simple solution here that I don't know?

Out of the various movies and TV shows I have watched lately (all x264 or H.264 mkv), it seems this is the only one that has required transcoding, but I don't understand enough to know why.

ffmpeg-transcode-10a2c69d-567e-45f7-afde-ead06973e373_1.txt

Edited by JKjkJKjkJKjk

rodainas

Are you connected to a remote server, the only thing I can see there that maybe triggering it is the high bitrate of the file (if a remote server is involved).

The transcoding reason should be on the normal embyserver log.

FrostByte

What model TV is your Samsung?  Most newer models don't support DTS which then needs to be transcoded

Edited by FrostByte

FrostByte

NM, I see the model number TU7000 in your log now 🙄.

Check the link below for supported codecs for 2020

Smart TV - Build | Samsung Developers

There should also be a similar chart in your users guide.

For best results always choose an audio codec which your TV supports like AC3 before clicking Play.  Otherwise Emby will have to convert the audio and yes it is very slow with all Samsung TVs when converting audio which is why I always have a compatible audio track in all my movies.

• Like 2

In this case the PGS subtitles are causing the transcode, DTS will cause it to stream.

PGS subtitles aren't supported by the TV so they need to be burned in during playback by the server, this is done by transcoding.

From the log, your server can't keep up with the transcoding, speed falls to <1.0x so playback isn't possible.  Is this a Raspberry PI server?

Try it without any subtitles, this will eliminate the need to transcode and it should playback with fewer/no issues.  It's better to find an srt version of the subtitles, then you can avoid transcoding.

If you had alternative audio tracks you could select something other than DTS to avoid the need to convert audio and allow DirectPlay, but it should play OK with audio conversion.  Alternatively, you can manually add an AC3 track converted from the DTS track.

Having said that, I'm not sure which rpi model this is but I don't think you'll be able to push it very hard before it struggles with bitrates and conversions.

• Like 2

• Solution
FrostByte

Thanks SamES.

So in order to direct play this video you would need to change both audio and subtitle formats before playing.  The external SubRip (srt) format will probably be the most common and can be downloaded using the open subtitles plug-in if you want.  Any internal subtitles will add processing time to extract so I prefer external srt (or ass/ssa) when using Samsung

Here is the chart for subtitles (again should be in your users manual) for supported subtitles for your TV

subs.jpg.34198edfc1d31ada35671d4e49986464.jpg

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

And if you can't find a good subtitle match, a free program called SubtitleEdit will scan the PGS subs in your file, perform OCR and create an exact srt match.  It takes a bit of manual effort as it will prompt you for corrections if the OCR can't determine specific words but it is pretty good and hasn't ever taken me more than 10 minutes to create a sub file for a movie.

• Like 2

JKjkJKjkJKjk

Thanks everyone! I converted the audio track to AC3 with FFMPEG, grabbed an srt from OpenSubtitles and was finally able to watch this last night! 

• Like 2

FrostByte

If you're interested there are a couple scripts written by others which convert DTS-HD to DD+ 1536 kbps.

• Like 1