Roku Ultra won't play some recordings - would Nvidia Shield TV?

mohoelx

@mohoelx - please

• go to "Transcoding" at the server dashboard
  • there choose "Advanced" for hw acceleration
  • then untick all entries having either "D3D11VA!" or "DX11VA" in it name
  • Click "Save" at the bottom

Retry playback

I just checked back. This is a known issue which is already fixed in the beta since July 2021

What's going wrong is that Emby attempts to combine a D3D11VA decoder with a D3D9 QuickSync decoder.

The preliminary solution is to disable all DX11VA decoders in Transcoding setup ("Advanced" selected).

Thanks,
sw

mohoelx

ok, so Transcoding was still set to No, as per earlier instructions for recreating the error. I looked in Advanced and all check boxes are un-ticked. Thought maybe it had to do with Transcoding set to No, so set to Yes and saved, went back into Advanced, and all is still un-ticked. Shall I tick those that do not  have "D3D11VA!" or "DX11VA"?

11 minutes ago, mohoelx said:

ok, so Transcoding was still set to No, as per earlier instructions for recreating the error. I looked in Advanced and all check boxes are un-ticked. Thought maybe it had to do with Transcoding set to No, so set to Yes and saved, went back into Advanced, and all is still un-ticked. Shall I tick those that do not  have "D3D11VA!" or "DX11VA"?

I was referring to the first ffmpeg log you posted: ffmpeg-transcode-e3a9e1ac-6ab6-4273-b8e1-ff31e9e561c5_1.txt

This log is showing the error that I mentioned, then it falls back to sw transcoding.
The incorrect combination of a DX11 decoder with a DX9 QSV encoder is fixed in the current beta.

I haven't looked further from there, but it's possible that this is not the source of your problem. Hold on..

@softworkz please take a look at the last server log he posted.  It has three playback attempts that should have involved ffmpeg but no ffmpeg logs were generated.

7 minutes ago, ebr said:

@softworkz please take a look at the last server log he posted.  It has three playback attempts that should have involved ffmpeg but no ffmpeg logs were generated.

ffmpeg is never started because there's no segment request coming in.

The URL of the media playlist (inside the master playlist) has a length of 770 chars - didn't we have that before?

2 minutes ago, softworkz said:

The URL of the media playlist (inside the master playlist) has a length of 770 chars - didn't we have that before?

I don't remember exact amounts but, yes, we've had an issue with the length of the payload in the HLS stuff for Roku before.

I remember now: it was the overall size of the media playlist (main.m3u) that Roku doesn't handle.

The length of the master playlist URL gives an indication about the length of the individual segment urls. Multiplied by the length of the sports event explains why the sports event doesn't play but a series episode is working.

1 minute ago, ebr said:

@mohoelx if you shorten the file name of the one that doesn't play by a significant amount, does it work?

That most likely doesn't help. The length is 770, so you can't save much by shortening the name.

The simple way to test the theory is to cut 10 minutes off from the start of the sports event. That will play, I'm sure.

22 minutes ago, mohoelx said:

I'll bite - how does one cut 10 minutes off of a recording?

Like this:

FSUTIL file seteof YOURVIDEO.ts 2048

You need to copy the video first. This command will cut off everything beyond 2048 bytes

(you need a larger number of course)

Edited by softworkz

mohoelx

Ok, so yes, trimmed it down to a random size (8,000,000,000) and it plays. So the net of this is the file is too big? I noticed that the football games are anywhere from 16 to 21 gig, but have not done any sort of analysis to know which channels produce which size, and if (assuming) CBS produces the largest for some reason.... Do you know the max file size Roku can handle? And back to the opening question, would an Nvidea Shield handle it?

I think this last question is a "yes" since the Tvision hub (a.k.a. Google Chromecast) can. I was able to snag one of those for free from TMo, so I tried it. One major thing I don't like about it is how it handles FF / Rew in Emby - it does not show the thumbnails and just jumps forward or back 30 seconds. Don't think it will become my go-to streamer any time soon.

1 minute ago, mohoelx said:

So the net of this is the file is too big?

No, the file is not too big. It's the M3U playlist which is getting too big for the Roku to handle, but that's primarily a problem at the side of Emby as it uses unusually long urls even for the individual HLS segments.

We have something new in development where we won't have those long URLs anymore, but it will take a while to hit the ground.

I'm not sure whether we can find a preliminary workaround - @Luke ?