Roku Ultra won't play some recordings - would Nvidia Shield TV?

mohoelx

So I've added an HD Homerun to my environment. When I record NFL football on CBS, it will not play on my Roku Ultra, although it will play on my Chromebook or Windows laptop. I'm sure I need to get a clean capture of the logs, but in the mean time, I'm just wondering - is this a limitation on the Roku, and if I were to obtain an Nvidia Shield TV player, would this problem magically go away?

Thanks in advance....

Hi.  They should play on the Roku too.  Do please get us those logs and tell us exactly what you did and what happened.  Thanks.

Ok, so I recorded the game on my HD Homerun. In the attached log file, I did this;

1. Rotated logs (to get a clean start)

2. Opened Emby on the Roku Ultra

3. Selected the recorded game to play. It built the loading progress bar about 1/3 of the way and stuttered, then posted a red banner with "too many errors, moving on" message.

4. Tried playing the file again. Got the same results as #3 with addition of an error box saying I had exceeded my configured streams.

5. Rotated the log to close it out.

As mentioned, I can play that recording on other devices. Oddly, I can also watch another program (NCIS Hawaii) recorded on the same channel / same HD Homerun on the Roku Ultra. So really at a loss as to what is 'special' about the NFL....

For what it's worth, there is nothing in the FFMPEG log around this timestamp, so I didn't include that file.

Thanks for your help!

embyserver-63768532478.txt

Edited by mohoelx

Thanks.  I may need @softworkz help on this error:

13:15:56.192 Impossible to convert between the formats supported by the filter 'Parsed_null_0' and the filter 'auto_scaler_0'
13:15:56.208 Error reinitializing filters!
13:15:56.208 Failed to inject frame into filter network: Function not implemented
13:15:56.208 Error while processing the decoded data for stream #0:0
13:15:56.208 [libmp3lame @ 0000022c5405d1c0] 3 frames left in the queue on closing
13:15:56.208 Conversion failed!

mohoelx

Ok, so I have a weird update to this. Today's NFL game on CBS was being recorded from my HD Homerun. About an hour into the recording activity, I started playback of the recording. It transcoded, and played just fine on the Roku Ultra. Didn't have the thumbnails of course, but everything else worked as expected. Pause, FF, Rew, and played through the entire game. 

For grins, a couple hours later, I tried playing the COMPLETED recording, and now get the same behavior as reported earlier. Attached is the Emby log from where I watched the recording-in-progress, and the failed-to-launch (at 7:14 pm) along with the FFMPEG log of that failed-to-launch event.

What is the difference between a recording-in-progress and a completed recording?

ffmpeg-transcode-89c03639-4956-43ff-91d0-87ebeb1a4d0f_1.txt embyserver-63768885391.txt

mohoelx

It is interesting that this continues to happen, but only with NFL on CBS. Games recorded on Fox or NBC play fine, if that helps at all.

On 10/8/2021 at 4:38 PM, mohoelx said:

No, it didn't. 

Can we please see an ffmpeg log example from that? Thanks.

mohoelx

Ok, finally got it done. This log has the start of 4 playback sessions, all with hardware transcoding set to "no". The first two, which are from the suspect CBS NFL, started playing fine. The second two had the problem. there were only to FFMPEG logs created during this timeframe, and they are from the two that actually started to play. Nothing created for the two that did not (Las Vegas Raiders at Pittsburgh Steelers and Kansas City Chiefs at Philadelphia Eagles).

Another side-note, I received a T-Mobile TVision streamer (T-Mo branded Google ChromeCast) and it plays all the recorded games just fine. Truly, I do not understand .... ;)

embyserver-63769831006.txt ffmpeg-transcode-48a4fe90-cb1f-4bb9-ba1f-c2a441964ab8_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-29d12b96-cbb2-4f8c-8f60-ae2b8adf866d_1.txt

mohoelx

\NFL Football 2021_09_19_12_00_00 - Las Vegas Raiders at Pittsburgh Steelers-320-10.bif

and

\NFL Football 2021_10_03_12_00_00 - Kansas City Chiefs at Philadelphia Eagles-320-10.bif

Try moving the bif files that are next to the videos out of the folders, and then see if they play.

mohoelx

Hmmm.... I have to say, I copied the file names from the log. When I actually look in the folder, there are no bif files for any of the games ... just TS and NFO files. This is the case for games that play and the ones that don't. The actual file trying to be played ends in .TS

mohoelx
Spoiler

Yep ... I cut the log, started playing 4 games (2 played, 2 errored), and I cut the log again. Here is a screen shot of my logs. Only 2 FFMPEG files between the cut logs. These came from the two games that actually started to play o.k.; 

NFL Football 2021_09_12_15_25_00 - Cleveland Browns at Kansas City Chiefs.ts

NFL Football 2021_10_10_15_00_00 - Chicago Bears at Las Vegas Raiders.ts

image.png.9a2e479bf1d768ef96d7154bf7146415.png

6 hours ago, mohoelx said:

Here ya go, I think. This is from trying to play "NFL Football 2021_10_03_12_00_00 - Kansas City Chiefs at Philadelphia Eagles-320-10", no ffmpeg generated.

embyserver-63770084657.txt 124.81 kB · 1 download

Hi @mohoelx this is the Emby Server log, which is great (thanks), but @ebr is looking for the Roku app log. Can you please follow the instructions that he linked to and submit that? Thanks !

mohoelx

Ok, I think I found it finally. The instructions were apparently a bit vague for my old eyes to read.... I had found that 'enable' option, but did not see the 'send log file' part previously. You should have it now, I assume!

Hi.  There should have been three ffmpeg logs generated from that playback.  The app tried three times, all with a remux or transcode and all failed.  The failure reason is most likely inside the ffmpeg logs.

mohoelx

I swear, there isn't anything in my Logs section from that timeframe. I did the failure test right at 8 a.m. today, and the first FFMPEG today was about 2 hours later when I watched a different recording. Is there anywhere else they would be? 

image.thumb.png.7720e98eac85373f76128a74a253cd7c.png