Series library thumbnail aspect ratio changing on its own...?

Lyrical
Go to solution Solved by roaku,

Thanks for Emby. I bought Premiere so that I could use external players, and overall I love this software. I can see Luke's dedication to support, too. I'm still setting up my server, but this issue occurred while I was moving stuff into my library, and I'm not sure how to fix it.

Right now I'm having a bit of a bizarre issue where a Series library I have setup seems to just decide to change the way its thumbnails work when using the "Primary" view. It occurs after the library exceeds a certain number of series, but I haven't tested the exact threshold yet. After the threshold is exceeded, it appears to rework the display to put more entries on screen at once, but at the same time,  it changes the entire aspect ratio of the thumbnail and makes it pretty hard to see what I'm looking at.

Here's an example. Browser is firefox if that matters, but it happens in Edge too.

My "TV Series" library at 115 items on a 1080p monitor in fullscreen browser:

image.thumb.png.5198b1ea453c231facad58aa900aeba2.png

Now, the same library, at 149 items on the same display:

image.thumb.png.18816c3cf4b137c2bce1cf6a51587e38.png

(Note: Since I added some stuff to the library to increase the series count, the series aren't 1:1 the same in my example, but they are indeed the same library.)

As you can see, the entire aspect ratio has changed. In some cases, it adds a border around the original "Primary" image:

image.png.0b6d54189d27225cff71702f2b61da63.png

In other cases, it stretches the image to fill:

image.png.123e8eb1e6c73262e7dfff979139d3a8.png

Either way, it has made my library quite ugly.

This only seems to happen once my series count in the library inflates past a certain number. But this library will end up with around 1,100 series in it once I'm done setting up. I don't want more stuff on screen at once, I prefer the visually pleasing look of maintaining aspect ratio and having bigger primary images. If it does change the number of series displayed, I'd at least like to maintain aspect ratio.

How can I prevent this behavior? I've been digging through settings for like a half hour but can't find anything.

EDIT: I just tested and it also occurs in Emby Theater.

image.thumb.png.9a74da721553cd08835a9c60ebbe0fb9.png

Thank you.

Edited by Lyrical

• Solution

The Emby UI tries to adapt to provide the best *overall* presentation based on *all* the images it's currently displaying.

In other words, if you have a mix of aspect ratios, and based on your screenshots it looks like you do, Emby will favor one at the expense (stretching, border bars) of others.

The solution is to provide Emby with consistent image aspect ratios across your content in a library.

• Thanks 2

Gotcha. Yeah, it's true that even with the original display that I prefer, there are some images with different aspect ratios. I suppose my metadata source (anilist.co) doesn't enforce aspect ratio on their series images. In general, I'd prefer to have more options so I can have a little more control over the display behavior, but I understand that granular control over software is out of style in today's world.

All right, well thanks for the info, it makes sense at least. I'll have to either write an adapter layer in my metadata fetcher plugin that enforces aspect ratio, or just fix offending thumbnails manually. It might also be as simple as the new library entries still having the default folder icon? I dunno, I'll mess with stuff. Thanks again.

btw im peeping that iconic thing, looks neat

Edited by Lyrical
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, roaku said:

The Emby UI tries to adapt to provide the best *overall* presentation based on *all* the images it's currently displaying.

In other words, if you have a mix of aspect ratios, and based on your screenshots it looks like you do, Emby will favor one at the expense (stretching, border bars) of others.

The solution is to provide Emby with consistent image aspect ratios across your content in a library.

Yes this is exactly correct.