USB Installation on 2019 Samsung TV?

Justus

Hello, 
a few months ago I wanted to install the Emby app on a 2020 Samsung TV, but I saw that it was not available in the Appstore (Germany). After some time googling I was in a thread where among others Luke wrote that it is not possible to download the app and since Samsung takes quite a long time to approve the app it will take quite long. Now I wanted to install the app on another Samsung TV (UE75RU7099UXZG), but it is also not in the Appstore. Now I have read some posts that you can do a USB installation. 
My questions about this: 
Is this "beta" version also the normal version that you get otherwise in the Appstore? 
That with these 30 days I have not quite understood, you can not use the app after that? 
Does every Samsung Smart TV from 2015 the Tizen operating system?

Thanks alot!

• Thanks 1

FrostByte

Yes, it's the same app that gets submitted to Samsung for inclusion in the store shortly after it's been uploaded for everyone's review. 

Since Emby doesn't have a contract with Samsung in countries other than US/UK and Ireland as of yet then installing from USB is one way of getting around that.  However, Samsung is very strict on USB installs because this method is only meant for internal testing before submitting apps to Samsung for their review.  Samsung doesn't want people distributing apps and bypassing them.  It could be because Samsung wants to ensure reliability of apps, but they also make money off of companies that distribute apps in their store.

Every time the usb app gets compiled there is a check placed within the app that disables itself 30 days from the compiling date.  In order to continue to use Emby then you will need to download and install a newer version all together because the old version will no longer work

There where a few lower end models in 2015 which were still using the older Orsay OS, but since then all TVs have been Tizen though the version of the Tizen OS changes every year.  The link below from the Samsung developers page lists the OS version of every Samsung TV since 2012

Smart TV - Build | Samsung Developers

Another option to USB installation is to change your app region to one of the countries that has it in the store, or changing your app region to "Full" if you prefer 

• Like 2

Thanks for the detailed answer, I will definitely try one of them.
I also have to correct myself, the TV I wanted to install emby on a few months ago is an LG 43UP75009LF. Is there a solution like that for it too?

• Haha 1

access

Every time the usb app gets compiled there is a check placed within the app that disables itself 30 days from the compiling date.  In order to continue to use Emby then you will need to download and install a newer version all together because the old version will no longer work

This is just not true.

I have 4 users who I manually installed the Samsung App including myself and I have never taken an upgrade. It has been running for 18 months+ I'm not sure why people are saying it disables itself. Everyone on this forum has been saying in practice this never happens. We just have to keep clicking "okay" that it needs to be upgraded constantly.

FrostByte
5 hours ago, access said:

This is just not true.

I have 4 users who I manually installed the Samsung App including myself and I have never taken an upgrade. It has been running for 18 months+ I'm not sure why people are saying it disables itself. Everyone on this forum has been saying in practice this never happens. We just have to keep clicking "okay" that it needs to be upgraded constantly.

LOL, what?   So you think you're smarter than everyone in here including the devs?

You obviously haven't seen it since Samsung implemented the policy change as you haven't upgraded in 18+ months.  Try upgrading to something developed a little more current and come back and let us know how it's going.  Then we'll see you again in 30 days when you realize it's true.

access

I am a developer and it's not about being smarter it's about testing. Everyone is wrong about everything until it is tested.

It's more that others on this forum are saying the same thing.

Via USB I installed Emby App on a Samsung TV in Canberra in Febuary. That was the last one I installed manually and it is still operational. Samsung have had this policy the entire time before I even started using Emby.

Has anyone actually seen this actually occur? Has anyone got real experience seeing a Samsung TVs enforce this or is it just something they say they *could* enforce, yet never have?

FrostByte
13 minutes ago, access said:

I am a developer and it's not about being smarter it's about testing. Everyone is wrong about everything until it is tested.

Via USB I installed Emby App on a Samsung TV in Canberra in Febuary. That was the last one I installed manually and it is still operational. Samsung have had this policy the entire time before I even started using Emby.

Has anyone actually seen this actually occur? Has anyone got real experience seeing a Samsung TVs enforce this or is it just something they say they *could* enforce, yet never have?

It's been enforced by the developers.  It's right in the app.  Like I said try updating to a more current version and then tell me I'm wrong.

17 minutes ago, access said:

Samsung started enforcing it sometime within the last year. You can find lots of threads here where users get a Samsung message saying they can't use the app anymore. Maybe you have a model that doesn't do this and you're getting lucky, or maybe you have a version of the usb package that came before they started enforcing it.

access

I'll re-install it on my lounge TV and see what happens.

It could be regional too, as I'm installing them all in Australia.

1 minute ago, access said:

The USB package is built on the Samsung developer website, not offline, so that's why the date of the USB package matters. The building process is hosted by them and that means they can change it anytime they want.

• Like 1

FrostByte
1 hour ago, access said:

It sounds like you have a version that was built shortly before the change.  The change from a message to a timebomb hasn't been all that long and probably after February when you last updated if the version you have was compiled in that month. 

I really don't think it's regional as one of the Samsung devs is from AU.

Edited by FrostByte

• 2 weeks later...
Painkiller8818
On 9/27/2021 at 8:35 PM, FrostByte said:

i thought this is a samsung restriction and not an emby built in restriction? If it is a samsung restriction, could a "time hack" help us with that? eg. to fake the compilation date to 6 months in the future, will it work for half a year before it expires again?

4 minutes ago, Painkiller8818 said:

i thought this is a samsung restriction and not an emby built in restriction? If it is a samsung restriction, could a "time hack" help us with that? eg. to fake the compilation date to 6 months in the future, will it work for half a year before it expires again?

See my most recent comment.

FrostByte

Luke explains it better.  Emby devs compile their app on a Samsung server where it automatically gets added.  There isn't much of a choice.

I'm not sure Samsung would be too pleased if Luke tried to hack around it :)